Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 12:13 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times

Advertisements

There's a big difference between justice and law enforcement. For malum in se crimes, where there is an injured party whose person or property was deliberately injured, the justice system "punishes" on behalf of the victim. For malum prohibitum crimes, there is no victim, and the "rules" are enforced upon the accused. However, enforced "rules" are derived from consent - not from securing justice on behalf of an injured party. And most are unaware of how they gave that consent to be governed by arbitrary rules.

Most LEOs are taught to connive consent by asking innocent questions that grant permission : "Can I look in your trunk?" "Are you carrying contraband?" "Can you show me some ID?" "May I see some identification?"

Since deception and misdirection are part of the game, it's not surprising that there is some animosity toward those who should be held to a higher standard. Frankly, everyone knows that "law enforcement" is not absolute, since LEOs routinely break the rules that they enforce. Worse, they cover up for their "true blue" brethren, and shamelessly act pious. The day when the "public servants" are more law abiding than those they police, that is the day when they will regain respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 12:25 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

In the US, several DOZEN officers are killed each year, year in and year out.

In South Africa (about 15% of the population of the USA) there are approximately 250-300 police officers killed each year.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:12 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Right, and there are also hundreds killed in Mexico. But neither Mexico nor South Africa are considered "developed" countries. You could also add Brazil to that category. Something like 50 officers were killed in Rio State alone in 2007. But Brazil is not considered a "developed" country, either.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:14 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Right, and there are also hundreds killed in Mexico. But neither Mexico nor South Africa are considered "developed" countries. You could also add Brazil to that category. Something like 50 officers were killed in Rio State alone in 2007. But Brazil is not considered a "developed" country, either.

South Africa used to be a developed first world nation.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:48 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,616 times
I think the double standard is annoying as well. A cop will pull you over and give a ticket for talking on a cell phone, and yet this morning I watched a cop drive past me a cell glued to his ear.

I have also had a bad experience with a cop who lost my complaint file and failed to get a warrent signed within a year and so someone got away with something very bad.

Overall I like most cops, my grandfather was one, but some should not be on the force and a lot of times nothing is done about the bad cops.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:58 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
I think the double standard is annoying as well. A cop will pull you over and give a ticket for talking on a cell phone, and yet this morning I watched a cop drive past me a cell glued to his ear.
That's because they are exempt. If you read the law, being ticketed for talking on a cell phone is a secondary offense, i.e. you have to have done something else wrong for them to pull you over.

They are exempt because they use the phone to talk to each other, or talk to people they are contacting. Often they are issued phones because it is a tool of their job.......

Old 01-31-2009, 04:58 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
It's not exactly easy to compare local law enforcement in the USA with most other developed and developing countries. (I am not counting places like Somalia, Congo and other nations that have almost no legitimate government or law enforcement institutions). The US has thousands of different and mostly independent local law enforcement jurisdictions at the city, county, state and federal level. Some cities like NYC have several different police departments within the same city (transit, port authority, housing authority, schools and regular NYPD). Washington DC has even more different law enforcement entities, an almost endless list. It's no wonder many Americans have trouble in dealing with law enforcement officers, they don't always know what to expect. Some jurisdictions have well trained professional officers in well run local agencies that do a great job at crime prevention and public safety. Other jurisdictions have officers whose conduct makes the it hard to tell who is the bigger threat, the criminal or the officer.

Ok, contrast this US smorgasbord of law enforcement officers with what I have experienced from living in other countries (Germany, Chile, Russia) and visiting about 40+ other countries. Most of these other countries have a sort of "national police" force. It's one big national (or in some large countries provincial or state level) police agency. The law enforcement officers are all graduates of the same training academy and they have a state or national level administration that runs things in a fairly uniform manner. That means that the local citizens simply have learned what to expect from law enforcement. Even Russia has more predictable law enforcement officials than what we have in the US.

There are pros and cons of the state or national police agencies vs. local smorgasbord agencies, but one thing you get from the state or national agencies is more predictability, but the trade off is less local input or control.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:07 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
I think it has a lot to do with police brutality, which is outrageously high. Look at all those cases they've caught on video. What are the chances they're the exception, that people just got lucky in catching the few cases that exist? No, if they're catching that many on video, just imagine how many more they haven't caught. I know of one state where the majority of the police force is suspected to be criminal.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:54 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
only if someone deserves it.........

and by the way...that guy wasn't a rookie...and he wasn't a cop...he was bart security.....
Hmmm, yea, that clown on BART wasn't actually PD. Armed security...deliver me from those guys! . I've worked with a lot of them. When I worked for yhe military as a civilian contract worker. Most of them actually had no business being armed. They were scary. Lots of them had obvious mental issues and some WIERD stuff was always going down on the guard force. Negligent discharges, guys calling in UFO's and aliens "coming to get them" (no I'm not kidding), parking out in the bunker areas and fireing off their weapons, lol one kid (fresh out of the Army) shot himself through the hand while on post, supposedly he was "cleaning" his weapon....ooooook then. So, comparing "armed security" to police officers is really not fair. There is no correlation. Totally different set of standards. If there IS a standard for armed security I havn't seen it.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:27 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I think it has a lot to do with police brutality, which is outrageously high. Look at all those cases they've caught on video. What are the chances they're the exception, that people just got lucky in catching the few cases that exist? No, if they're catching that many on video, just imagine how many more they haven't caught. I know of one state where the majority of the police force is suspected to be criminal.
For everyone of those videos you see of "police brutality" there is a video you don't see of the horrible things that get done to cops. The police use them for training videos so other police will know what NOT to do or WHAT to do depending on the video.

The other thing I really hate about those "police brutality" videos are you don't know the situation. You have no clue of the why and what that person has done, and you just think "poor guy is getting his a$$ kicked by the cops!"

When that "poor guy" may have just murdered someone, beat his girlfriend within a inch of her life and threatened police, stabbed his neighbor, robbed a bank, or shot a child. You don't know and you don't care, you are just looking at the end of a 4 hour chase of some criminal who was beaten for a good reason, but your going on that 50 sec. clip that the media put in front of your face.

Half the crap they dish out is only HALF the story. And usually even that they can't get right.....but it makes a great story.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates