Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:39 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
dude, most corporate job interviews are shams, especially the higher the ladder you climb. these companies know who they're going to hire before the interview process begins, they just have to go through with it so there isn't any talk of impropriety. i'm in the military, but i see this happen every month with civilian contractors. commanding officers taint the hiring process by telling h.r. who they want for the job before the resumes start rolling in all the time. if it happens in the military, a sector that's far ahead of corporate america when it comes to hiring and advancement practices, then i'm positive its happening at your favorite fortune 500 at a much higher percentage. read my prior post on page 2, that's why A-A isn't going away.
I am sorry that you feel this way, and I know that many minorities feel this way. However, I think that it is your own perception that is most likely making you bitter and getting in your way. Sometimes we see only what we want to see. That applies to all people.
I disagree with your theory. Most companies are in business to make money. Most owners or Ceo's could care less what color or gender you are as long as in the end you bring in the most money. The bottom line for people in business to make money is just that making money. I don't care if someone is purple, if I own a business that is in business to make money I want the most intelligent, practical, driven, money making person who is going to benefit me the most. Afirmative action seems to go against capitalism in every way. For most industries the bottom line is and should be about money. When your right to hire the best person who could help your business earn the most money is stripped from you, then what does that say for America and capitalism. I would like to think that most business owners, managers, etc would want to hire who they think could make them the most money, regardless or race, gender, sexual orientation or whatever.

It seems like there is alot of finger pointing and false assumptions. Bottom line and I agree with most who have said so, Affirmative action just breeds contempt, and under those conditions it is impossible to end racism. I don't think it's good for either side of the continuim. Minorities are made to feel inferior which there not. It's not a winning solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 12:05 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
With a black president, and with a black secretary of state in the last administration, do we still need affirmative action? Affirmative action has done a lot of good for the country--but do we still need it?
Define affirmative action.

The aggressive recruitment of minority and women, or do you mean some numerically based system of hiring and admissions?

Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
i understand why A-A will stay in place, but even as a AA male, i'm conflicted about its continuing existence. on one hand i want to feel like i earned my position as a top member of a company, but i also understand alot of people don't make it to where they are on talent alone. many a company cfo's and coo's got those postions on connections and affiliations, networks many minorities have yet to establish. in order for a minority or a woman to make it in this country, they have to far exceed their white male counterparts. i think A-A will continue to be around until an AA or woman with mediocre credentials can ascend as high in this country as a white guy that brings similar credentials to the table. only then will we have true equality.
+100. As long as the old adage "it's not what you know, it's WHO you know" continues to ring true, this debate won't go away anytime soon. Although I also have to admit that AA in its current form is deeply flawed and needs an overhaul as well.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:22 PM

171 posts, read 212,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
This opinion probably won't be to popular with most....but affirmative action is nothing more than state sanctioned racism.

Until we totally stop using race as a reason to do, or not do something with or for someone we'll never be free of racism. The state sanctioning racism doesn't make it right. It most likely creates more new racists and I can't imagine it eliminates many existing racists.

Enforce the current laws against discrimination (race, sex, religious affiliation etc...) and with time and changing generational attitudes and we will eventually truly be "colorblind".

I don't think the mortgage could wait until people eventually truly become colorblind. When most people are not even true themselves. Meaning they'll smile in your face and stabb you in the back. No thank you!!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I am sorry that you feel this way, and I know that many minorities feel this way. However, I think that it is your own perception that is most likely making you bitter and getting in your way. Sometimes we see only what we want to see. That applies to all people.
I disagree with your theory. Most companies are in business to make money. Most owners or Ceo's could care less what color or gender you are as long as in the end you bring in the most money. The bottom line for people in business to make money is just that making money. I don't care if someone is purple, if I own a business that is in business to make money I want the most intelligent, practical, driven, money making person who is going to benefit me the most. Afirmative action seems to go against capitalism in every way. For most industries the bottom line is and should be about money. When your right to hire the best person who could help your business earn the most money is stripped from you, then what does that say for America and capitalism. I would like to think that most business owners, managers, etc would want to hire who they think could make them the most money, regardless or race, gender, sexual orientation or whatever.

It seems like there is alot of finger pointing and false assumptions. Bottom line and I agree with most who have said so, Affirmative action just breeds contempt, and under those conditions it is impossible to end racism. I don't think it's good for either side of the continuim. Minorities are made to feel inferior which there not. It's not a winning solution.

Come on... false assumptions!!! You look at these fortune 500 companies and tell me it's fair up top. You don't see an African American at all!! Let's not assume; let's look at the board. You can visually see. I think you and everyone that agrees with you are makine assumptions - because you have nothing to back up your statement and no one can even visually see your point.

Not even the NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/us/01race.html?_r=1

Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I believe that affirmative action has long passed its useful life. Not only that, but merely by its existence it implies that minorities are less capable of obtaining or performing in a job than white people. If the standards are lower for minorities (for example entry into the fire department, police department, or university) then it stands to reason that they are not smart enough to gain those positions on their own.

Affirmative action needs to go.

This is why it doesn't need to go. You can't possibly believe that the reason minorities didn't get in the fire department was because they weren't smart enough??? AA doesn't say minorities are less capable of obtaining or performing in a job than white people. It says that most white people (not all) are still fearful of losing their position to minorities that are more capable of obtaining and out performing them in a job.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I'm white & have had the same experience. Its not limited to black people.

Ummm, affirmative action is racism.

OH!! come on where, what company you went to and you were the only white???

Racism - I believe if it forced you to hire blacks that are not qualified!!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm tired of the "We've got to hire a woman" or a "We need to hire minority" stuff. I'd say that we need to be able to hire the best person for the job, regardless of their race or sex.

We can't do that until affirmitive action is done away with.

That's the reason why it was put in place. Because you were'nt doing that and for what I see, still not doing that!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/us/01race.html?_r=1

Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

In the civy world, things are a little different. Many large factories have a hiring "quota" of a certain number of minoties, and a certain number of women they have to hire. Thats AA, and thats just wrong. I'm all for hiring the best person for the job, regardless of their race or sex.

It' a certain number of minorities and women, not unqualified minorities and women. That's why it's fair.. because you and other's on this post believe because they are minorities and women that they possibly can't be the best person for the job!!! So your telling me that you believe that their are not an equal amount of qualified minorities and women as white men for a FACTORY JOB????

Old 05-08-2010, 06:31 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
But the New Black Panther Party does...

New Black Panther Party
I understand the creation of the original BPP, sadly I know nothing of the new one or for what it stands for. Personally I do not condone racist acts by anyone. I can only speak about the things that I have seen or personally experienced. Which brings to mind that racist militia groups have grown alot more since Obama has taken office. Can anyone take a stab at why this is going on besides the underlining racial overtones of this country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates