Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 05:13 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
--I have found very little in life is up to me, nor does the world care when a fall and skin my knee.---Nor should they. I'm on my own, and have been most of my life. and would have it no other way. I bow to no King. I'm a Pirate, AARRRGGHHH
I agree with you....mostly....I have found though that any success I have is ONLY up to me. Nobody's going to (or ever has) given me anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 05:22 PM

50 posts, read 65,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I believe that affirmative action has long passed its useful life. Not only that, but merely by its existence it implies that minorities are less capable of obtaining or performing in a job than white people. If the standards are lower for minorities (for example entry into the fire department, police department, or university) then it stands to reason that they are not smart enough to gain those positions on their own.

Affirmative action needs to go.
I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to or not, but I'd like to expand on that idea....

I'm a self proclaimed bleeding heart liberal. However, I have one serious issue with AA. That is, if you are telling any group of people, black, white, purple...whatever that they can not get a job based on their own merits and need extra help, that is incredibly demoralizing. I honestly believe that AA hurts minorites more than helps.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:16 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I agree with you....mostly....I have found though that any success I have is ONLY up to me. Nobody's going to (or ever has) given me anything.
Cheers man--that's what I'm talking about.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 PM

I'm a Minority of one---buy me a house in the hills???

Old 12-07-2009, 06:22 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
Diversification/political correctness/affirmative action/quotas is alive and well and wont go away any time soon. The entertainment/TV commercial/news businesses must fill quotas to not feel the rath of civil rights groups. Look at the casting of every TV show. Just about every one includes blacks or women even when in real life, those conditions don't exist. In the last few months, a black person now appears in every TV commercial as either the main spokesperson or part of the cast. News camera crews will find the one black person out of 100,000 white people at a NASCAR race so they can show that they are 'diversified'.
So evidently there are those who think affirmative action is still needed.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:27 PM

We must appease the masses. Don't want them getting restless.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:51 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Home address screening is another issue. It was significantly harder to get a job when I lived in my parents' place down in the ghetto. Once I moved up to the upper middle class areas, all of a sudden it got amazingly easier to get interviews. That's not saying there were guarantees, because there weren't. But opportunities presented themselves when I got an "affluent address".

I've also learned a hard lesson. It's not always a good idea to work in the field that you have the most experience in. Sometimes you need to work in a field that does not have a lot of qualified candidates - one where you don't have nearly as much competition. Then the employer has no choice but to assess your skills, because they still need to get someone in that can get the job done at the end of the day. I found that niche, and I feel confident in my ability to remain gainfully employed even if I were laid off from my current job thanks to that niche; because it's a specialized skill that only a select few have, and of that population, very few are my equal in terms of hands-on experience. I've got numerous references that can attest to that claim, including employees of the original company behind the niche. That negates me having to fight against biased hiring; to the point I can even include my picture on the resume and still get called.

However, I still hold fast that unfortunately, we need a balancing force. We need something that will keep people in line until the discrimination has fallen out - something I envision will take centuries. Even if racism were to disappear, gender discrimination will always be around. If we ever got a female president she'd better be over 50 years old.
I was reading some of the post regarding blacks "whinning" about the past and racism and a program on the history channel came on about the Klan and how it has managed to exist for over 150 years. I feel that as long as organizations such as the Klan can exist so should Affirmative Action

Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Diversification/political correctness/affirmative action/quotas is alive and well and wont go away any time soon. The entertainment/TV commercial/news businesses must fill quotas to not feel the rath of civil rights groups. Look at the casting of every TV show. Just about every one includes blacks or women even when in real life, those conditions don't exist. In the last few months, a black person now appears in every TV commercial as either the main spokesperson or part of the cast. News camera crews will find the one black person out of 100,000 white people at a NASCAR race so they can show that they are 'diversified'.
So evidently there are those who think affirmative action is still needed.
What about television in its infancy and up to the early 70's when the only time that you seen any blacks they werre casted in a negative light

Old 12-08-2009, 09:18 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
What about television in its infancy and up to the early 70's when the only time that you seen any blacks they werre casted in a negative light
Nat King Cole
Harry Belafonte
Sammy Davis Jr.
Sidney Poitier

Negative light? No

You: Revisionist History? Yes

Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I was reading some of the post regarding blacks "whinning" about the past and racism and a program on the history channel came on about the Klan and how it has managed to exist for over 150 years. I feel that as long as organizations such as the Klan can exist so should Affirmative Action
Are you also Cool having the "Black Panther Party" around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates