Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:19 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,599,927 times

Advertisements

I for one would rather know a person that is racist then one who tries to act like they are not but everything they say or do is just the opposite.

This goes both ways. There are just as many racist black people are thier are white and or hispanic or any other race. I have black firends, or I would never let my daughter marry a white guy... but I'm not a racist! HUH???

I'd rather have you call me a **** to my face and move on, at least then I know what I'm dealing with.

Some examples of what I see, I'm sure there are 100's more

Black racists hate racist but they are OK with calling whites "cracker"
Hispanic racists dont even like some of thier own, IE Mexicans vs Puerto Ricans vs Cubans etc
White racist tend to look down on anyone of color
I know some asians that have disowned thier own kids for marrying outside of thier race....

WTF is wrong with people? We are all human! Every race has thier goods and bads, get over yourself NO ONE IS PERFECT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:23 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,412,920 times
Agreed.

All I can tell you is that 'Some' people just don't evolve or progress for whatever reasons. Holding grudges and thinking about how they have been 'wronged' is a ticket to health problems and a good number will not be around for very long.

'Anal'/analytical--some is necessary and the right sort but when it is overdone the results are deadly.

Each day I try a little harder to care even less about things that are absolutely of no importance to me.

Robert Louis Stevenson is a WASP that I admire. 18th or 19th century Scot--he was a sickly child from a family of lighthouse builders and they expected a lot from him. He finally left Scotland for the South Pacific and lived peacefully. This has been true for a long time now. His philosophy was 'tis better to enjoy collecting seashells than to become a millionaire'. Works for me.

I know I would be happier living on an atoll but I don't think that will be possible.

hth

Old 02-04-2009, 09:09 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,490,296 times
I'm with you on this. I'd much rather have them let me know where they're coming from at the start. I believe the old expression goes something like, the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,935,261 times
I'm kind of undecided. Sure, I guess I'd like to know, but even if I did know, what purpose would it really serve, other than to exclude this person from my social circle. On the other hand, as much as I might want to know, I'm not sure I'd want someone in my face about their racism because it would only serve to cause a fight.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:01 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,779,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
I for one would rather know a person that is racist then one who tries to act like they are not but everything they say or do is just the opposite.

This goes both ways. There are just as many racist black people are thier are white and or hispanic or any other race. I have black firends, or I would never let my daughter marry a white guy... but I'm not a racist! HUH???

I'd rather have you call me a **** to my face and move on, at least then I know what I'm dealing with.

Some examples of what I see, I'm sure there are 100's more

Black racists hate racist but they are OK with calling whites "cracker"
Hispanic racists dont even like some of thier own, IE Mexicans vs Puerto Ricans vs Cubans etc
White racist tend to look down on anyone of color
I know some asians that have disowned thier own kids for marrying outside of thier race....

WTF is wrong with people? We are all human! Every race has thier goods and bads, get over yourself NO ONE IS PERFECT!
There may be nothing *wrong* with people. It may just be that after eons of natural selection the human mind looks for patterns and uses them to make quick decisions as a matter of survival.

"Discrimination" between that which is good for us or bad for us, and doing it quickly, could clearly, in more primitive times, have carried a survival value.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:31 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,656,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Agreed.

All I can tell you is that 'Some' people just don't evolve or progress for whatever reasons. Holding grudges and thinking about how they have been 'wronged' is a ticket to health problems and a good number will not be around for very long. hth
That would be true if they didn't then demand that we pay for their health care too, because we "owed" them.

I have one prejudice - purposeful ignorance. Don't care what color you are, where you come from, or what you do - if you insist on living your life in screaming self righteous stupidity, whining maundering dependence, or by taking from others what is rightfully theirs, then I despise you. Guess that covers everyone on Welfare, most people in prison, government bureaucracies, the media, and Congress.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,515,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post

My wife is non-white. She's consistently voiced her preference for the honest, 'in-your-face' racist, over the condescending 'do-gooder' who PITIES her due to her race and "what her people endured". Racists are simple, easy to dislike, and make for some GREAT family jokes..."Do gooders" are just embarrassing and annoying.

In reference to your "Asian" comment above..I worked with a guy for YEARS who I always ASSUMED was a typical California Chinese. Family had been here for generations..had a standard single-syllable Chinese surname.

One day he confided to me that his paternal grandparents were wealthy, but had 'disowned' his dad, because he'd married his MOM, who was Japanese-American. My friend had been raised in a modest home, though his cousins were quite 'well off'. THEIR parents had 'married Chinese', and the grandparents had contributed to their income.

I guess these old folks didn't only object to 'marrying outside the race', they even objected to 'marrying outside the ethnicity'. Some 'white ethnics' used to do this, as well...an Italian 'had' to marry an Italian spouse..Irish 'had' to marry Irish, etc etc.

Happens with religions, as well. Becoming increasingly rare today, thankfully.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:17 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,383,754 times
It amazes me sometimes how much effort some folks are willing to put into defining someone else.
Nobodies perfect, but racists dont just come in just one flavor or one degree of racism either.
Being as we are all fallible humans, I see the topic of this thread as no less self centered & narrow minded as racism itself.

A racist dont care what you think & you shouldn't worry yourself about what they think. Its long past time to move on & let the past drift away.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
That would be true if they didn't then demand that we pay for their health care too, because we "owed" them.

I have one prejudice - purposeful ignorance. Don't care what color you are, where you come from, or what you do - if you insist on living your life in screaming self righteous stupidity, whining maundering dependence, or by taking from others what is rightfully theirs, then I despise you. Guess that covers everyone on Welfare, most people in prison, government bureaucracies, the media, and Congress.
Oh, agreed, agreed. I guess.

I am prone to be 'All of That' at times --you might really 'hate' me and you are within your Rights to do so. I have become more philosophical among other things. Having been 'hated' by my own family, neighbors and the world at large with regularity.

Ah, well--'All's Well That Ends Well'. Glad my poor brother no longer has to deal with any of this. Such a good person, so misunderstood and may he RIP.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:33 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,953,410 times
There are a lot of black people that I hate. I'd say the majority here in Charlotte. Atlanta even more so. Flat out, refuse to give them a chance, I don't care what they might have to say. I don't care if they're dying of blood loss on the side of the road, hell no I'm not going to help a damn one of them. But in that same category there's a lot of whites, latinos, and more recently south asians. I hate them all equally. A lot.

Now these are the ones wearing size 6x shirts, strutting around like chickens with their pants around their ankles, clucking and squawking in some broken dialect that I think you learn when you recieve Section 8 housing or go on welfare. I think if we could exterminate them all at birth, we should. Too bad you can't tell which ones are going to go nuts and be repeat felons. I guess if you took away all of the kids born to 14 year old mothers, you'd get most of them.

Then again, I've been followed home, kidnapped at knifepoint, attacked by a gun-wielding gang (my husband hit them with a car ), narrowly dodged a knife fight, and had to quit two jobs because of continued threats of sexual assault...so maybe I'm a bit biased. And even though these were all different "people," they all pretty much looked and acted the same. Skin color, not always. But that waddle, those clothes, the broken english, they could have been clones.

I feel so awful for my friends who do happen to be black or hispanic, because despite the fact that they aren't like that, they get lumped into the category of gangbangers and thugs. Which is pitiful really, as I think most people can tell the kind of person someone is very quickly and just refuse to look.

So sorry if I stereotype, lump together, group and segregate. Not by race, but by idiocy. But really, it's for my own damn good.

I respect all cultures. Just not packs of wild dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates