Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 06:22 PM

300 posts, read 429,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I'm saying that WALMART is famous for this conduct, it has been documented again and again. If you want to shop there and destroy the country go ahead. I'd sooner do without
You said that Walmart does what you describe with ALL of its suppliers.

I find that very hard to believe.

I would hope you have irrefutable proof of what you allege.

You do, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 06:27 PM

768 posts, read 942,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
And you wonder why it is going downhill?
It's not going downhill. If anything it's on an upward trend. Unemployment is up, sure, but it's a good thing. I hope the entire system collapses. Only then can we even begin to implement some semblance of moral justice. We need to start over from scratch.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:21 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
So are we to go back to one celled amoebas, or just back to squirrels??

Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
nope they are not guna pay triple for a product. cant compete with slave labor.
no more good jobs friend. we have to get money from somewhere. right now we are getting it by debting big time. refi frenzy and walking away from the house was a big big mistake.
the big fat W-2 jobs are gone. we are about to step off the reef. do not do not buy a house car or take out a loan.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:30 PM

I say buy what ever you want---2012, is right around the corner.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:44 PM

839 posts, read 982,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Yes I do understand that a lot of our economy is reliant on imports... More and more of our labor is being outsourced to China because of greedy corporations and inept unions, but we can do our part by buying American everything at a grass roots level. When you lose your job and you wonder why after you have been shopping at chinamart for the past 10 years you have no one to blame but your self for your iresponsible consumption habits. Try buying an American luxury car instead of leasing a big gaudy import SUV , cook your own food with local ingredients from your local farmers market, kick back with the family or friends and share some Napa or Sonoma California wine on your day off, a good bottle can be had for under 15 bucks. This country can be strong again if we all support one and other. Wall street is NOT to blame for EVERYTHING. WE are to blame if we dont get our azz in gear. PEACE.

I'm going to post something similar to what I posted in another forum about a similar topic:

What too many people here don't realize is that America's economic future simply is not in manufacturing. I'm not sure what you all want the government to do when you say things like 'stop outsourcing.' The fact is that other countries have developed a comparative advantage in manufacturing, particularly in the manufacturing of products which do not require high-value technology. This is an inevitable outcome of economic development in the context of a globalized world economy. The free market which most of you likely profess to believe in (particularly you conservatives!) dictates that those jobs which can be done more efficiently elsewhere are to be outsourced.

Now, the government could institute a variety of trade restrictions and couple them with domestic subsidies. We could have import quotas, tariffs and such. However, if you know much about economics you know that such policies not only harm consumers to benefit producers (and those who work for the producers) but they also lead to suboptimal economic outcomes. The kinds of policies which would restrain outsourcing also inevitably lead to less efficient economic outcomes overall. If the US is to maintain an efficient economy that operates as close to pareto-optimality as possible then fewer, not more, trade restrictions are needed. We have to adapt; this means rather than trying (and failing!) to stop outsourcing we need to find new industries to replace the ones we no longer have an advantage in.

Attempting to cling to old manufacturing jobs just means our economy will fall further and further behind in terms of technology, human capital, innovation, efficiency, productivity, etc. We should be investing in new, high-value added sectors of the economy, promoting new industries and improving out education system to meet the demands of the modern economy.

What I find most ironic is that many of the people who protest outsourcing and the like are supposedly 'free market' conservatives (though many liberals do it, too!). These individuals will, in one breath, tell you that the free market should be left alone, that government shouldn't intervene, that private industry is best. In the next breath they will decry outsourcing and call for interventions to stop it! Do you not see the hypocrisy? The contradiction?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:52 PM

We should produce our own goods. build our own Cars, Truck, tractors, and TVs. We should grow our own food, and educate our own children. there is no real need to be controlled by world markets, unless we continue to allow them to hold us over a barrel. --"We have become to important to allow to fail" is the problem. So we depend on other Countrys to bail us out. In the process, they own us. When China comes to collect from Our children what are we going to tell them??? We have no money now. and just printing more won't do it. I guess we can offer them California as a down payment. Or the Red wood forest. We are in the worlds pocket, wake up.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:34 PM

839 posts, read 982,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
We should produce our own goods. build our own Cars, Truck, tractors, and TVs. We should grow our own food, and educate our own children. there is no real need to be controlled by world markets, unless we continue to allow them to hold us over a barrel. --"We have become to important to allow to fail" is the problem. So we depend on other Countrys to bail us out. In the process, they own us. When China comes to collect from Our children what are we going to tell them??? We have no money now. and just printing more won't do it. I guess we can offer them California as a down payment. Or the Red wood forest. We are in the worlds pocket, wake up.
Wow; I'm not really sure where to begin with this one. We can't just 'extract' ourselves from the world market as we're so inextricably entwined with it that even attempting to do so would cause complete economic collapse not just in the US but also globally. Autarky isn't possible in these modern times, unless you want the US to end up looking like North Korea (which isn't even completely closed). One of the reasons we don't make all of our own goods is because they can be made more cheaply elsewhere; if we were to attempt to make all of our own cars, trucks, TVs, etc as you suggest prices would skyrocket and it would hurt all consumers. In other words, everyone in the country would be hurt in order to benefit the few who would gain jobs from such a change. Furthermore, we don't have the resources to produce all these goods for our entire population, we have to rely on foreign trade to acquire them! The change you suggest is impossible at this point and any attempt to do so would cause an explosion in poverty in this country, it would put us into financial ruin so deep that the Great Depression would look positively wonderful.

Furthermore, you say we should "grow our own food and educate our own children." Last time I checked, we do educate our own children (though not all that well when compared to other developed countries). As for food, until just a few years ago we were a net exporter of it. Now we are a net importer, but that is partially because our population is so large, partially because many of our crops are now for livestock feed, ethanol and the like. Furthermore, many of the foods we eat can't be easily grown here in the US.

The truth of the matter is that we are better off when we are fully engaged with the world economy. Free trade with other countries leads to largely efficient outcomes; free trade tends to move us towards pareto optimality. Yes, the news will show report after report of those who end up being the 'losers' because of free trade. This is because such stories are 'sexy' - you get more viewers from showing the losers than from showing the winners. Furthermore, since the winners are typically your average consumer (meaning both you and me!) it's hard to report on: when benefits are diffuse and losses are concentrated its much easier to identify the losses even though the benefits are considerably larger. Restraining the free trade you rail against leads to inefficient economic outcomes. In simpler terms, what you propose would lead to a situation in which we are all worse off than we are now.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
Wow; I'm not really sure where to begin with this one. We can't just 'extract' ourselves from the world market as we're so inextricably entwined with it that even attempting to do so would cause complete economic collapse not just in the US but also globally. Autarky isn't possible in these modern times, unless you want the US to end up looking like North Korea (which isn't even completely closed). One of the reasons we don't make all of our own goods is because they can be made more cheaply elsewhere; if we were to attempt to make all of our own cars, trucks, TVs, etc as you suggest prices would skyrocket and it would hurt all consumers. In other words, everyone in the country would be hurt in order to benefit the few who would gain jobs from such a change. Furthermore, we don't have the resources to produce all these goods for our entire population, we have to rely on foreign trade to acquire them! The change you suggest is impossible at this point and any attempt to do so would cause an explosion in poverty in this country, it would put us into financial ruin so deep that the Great Depression would look positively wonderful.

Furthermore, you say we should "grow our own food and educate our own children." Last time I checked, we do educate our own children (though not all that well when compared to other developed countries). As for food, until just a few years ago we were a net exporter of it. Now we are a net importer, but that is partially because our population is so large, partially because many of our crops are now for livestock feed, ethanol and the like. Furthermore, many of the foods we eat can't be easily grown here in the US.

The truth of the matter is that we are better off when we are fully engaged with the world economy. Free trade with other countries leads to largely efficient outcomes; free trade tends to move us towards pareto optimality. Yes, the news will show report after report of those who end up being the 'losers' because of free trade. This is because such stories are 'sexy' - you get more viewers from showing the losers than from showing the winners. Furthermore, since the winners are typically your average consumer (meaning both you and me!) it's hard to report on: when benefits are diffuse and losses are concentrated its much easier to identify the losses even though the benefits are considerably larger. Restraining the free trade you rail against leads to inefficient economic outcomes. In simpler terms, what you propose would lead to a situation in which we are all worse off than we are now.
And that is the problem.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:58 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Yes I do understand that a lot of our economy is reliant on imports... More and more of our labor is being outsourced to China because of greedy corporations and inept unions, but we can do our part by buying American everything at a grass roots level. When you lose your job and you wonder why after you have been shopping at chinamart for the past 10 years you have no one to blame but your self for your iresponsible consumption habits. Try buying an American luxury car instead of leasing a big gaudy import SUV , cook your own food with local ingredients from your local farmers market, kick back with the family or friends and share some Napa or Sonoma California wine on your day off, a good bottle can be had for under 15 bucks. This country can be strong again if we all support one and other. Wall street is NOT to blame for EVERYTHING. WE are to blame if we dont get our azz in gear. PEACE.
I'm with you on the good California wine....but the rest? Nope. It's all a wash. -American luxury car... with chinese made stereos and electronics.
As you sit reading this, stop and take a look around your house. Where was your TV and DVD player made? Look closely. Where were your shoes made? Where was your camera made? Where was your computer your typing on right now made?
I'm not judging you, but many people in this "Buy American" mentality are hypocrites. To buy only American you would have to just about throw all your electronics in the trash, and as far as I know New Balance is the only decent shoe company left in the U.S.... and some of their low-ends are made in bangladesh. It's so easy to WANT to buy Amercan, but many of your are whitewashed.
I just picked up a little keyring flashlight for my brother and the packaging said "PROUD AMERICAN COMPANY" with the typical red/white/blue designs and flags all over it....MADE IN CHINA was inked at the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates