Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times

Advertisements

I hope this thread does not hurt anyones feelings as it is not my intention to do so, but I have to ask a question that has been nagging me for so long. What is going on here in America. Are the days of common courtesy gone forever? Are there anymore average working class americans able to by homes?? I have lived in NYC (queens) all my life and feel like I will never, ever, ever be able to afford a home here. I feel like there are so many ***MOD CUT*** people who are willing to sleep on top of eachother and pay 600K for a 2 bedroom tutor that it would nearly be impossible for me to think about a home. Don't get me wrong, I think that everyone has a right to the american dream, but at what expense is that to the American. I personally know 6 families on my block ***MOD CUT*** that have at least 12 people living in a 2 bedroom home, so they can afford the mortgage. This completely prices the regular family out of affording to live here. Am I wrong?

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 02-17-2009 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: racial inferences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 02:18 PM

917 posts, read 2,299,188 times
No,I don't think you are wrong. I have a feeling there are going to be huge changes soon. In the meantime you might want to move out of that area if you can. Go west or south. People will get on my case for saying that, but in a terrible economy I think we will see a lot more violence in metropolitan areas

Old 02-17-2009, 03:49 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
I'll let this thread continue for now......but it has nothing to do with general moving issues....I wil move it to another forum.

Also, please be careful not to bring race into this thread, or it will be closed.

Frank D.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
I got out of California. The cost of living there is unbelievable and will be going up and up as the state tries not to go bankrupt.

The total cost of my nice reasonable for one home in Oklahoma *with* air you can breath and people who are courteous and friendly was less than the down payment would have been in cali.

Thats why people are flooding into Oklahoma and Arkansas and Texas and across the south. Its still below the snow line and the weather is moderate for four seasons. And you can afford to live and eat.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:25 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,719 times
For me, my parents had the ultimate situation. Their parents were alive in the first Depression. My parents were part of the baby boomer generation. Middle class was defined by them. They worked and saved and bought their first house for about $30,000. We had a good childhood with modest income and a nice city home. They are now living comfortably on their retirement from teaching. And for me, I have little hope at the present time that anything that they had could be mine. I have worked and worked, have very little debt, and like the OP, cannot currently afford to buy a home, even if I could get the credit! I have no security right now that I will even be able to find a job if we move to an area that is more affordable. I know this economic crash is supposedly temporary, but I do not think the damage done to the 'middle class' will be temporary. Most of us are struggling to get by, and I am sure there are many others out there who feel mildly or moderately hopeless in their own ability to get ahead. I do hope this passes, but.......

Old 02-17-2009, 05:31 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,946 times
If you can telecommute I'll sell you my house~ 2300 sf ~ 3 1/2 car garage on almost 4 acres. That's more than enough room for your own private football fields~and a huge garden~Will take first $130000!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
The situation that created this mess not only continues, but has grown. I don't know when or how it will stop, but eventually it will.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:08 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Sorry - meant to put this in general debate - no bad things meant toward any race at all.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Alot of teh reasons you feel that way is that porice shave been driven by cheap credit in housing. That has brought great demand because those that could afford bogynt anyway that drives up prices.Also the jobs that are middle class have changed over the years. I hate to say it but more and more basci labor or labor taught by the employer is going.There are alot of reason from automation to third world people being able to do that same labor now at modern plants evn some more modern than here at a lower cost. Then thereis the nmbner of jobs that americans woudl do or don't prepare for verus countries like China and india.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:29 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Tom Hartmman always talks about this on his radio show
Nova M Radio - The Home of Randi Rhodes & Mike Malloy - (M-F 12-3pmET)

He says exactly what I think, that the middle class is not something that happens naturally in society.
Monopolies and oligarchies happen naturally.

The middle class is built by the government.
If the government just leave everything alone, then .... to put it in few words, people that own land start charging more and more and more for housing until people can barely afford it.

You end up with an extremely powerful minority that controls all the essential things in society (Housing, food, etc.)
and a huge majority that will work for pennies as long as they get a job and can buy food.

You see that all throughout Latinamerica.
That's why it is so common in Latinamerica for upper class and upper-middle class people to have a 24/7 cleaning lady and/or a babysitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates