Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
The bible is not actually an anti-abortion book. I can only think of one passage that deals with punishment for causing a pregnant woman to lose her unborn child.

Exodus 21

If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.

And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

Simply causing a pregnant woman to lose her child is not sufficient grounds for the death penalty. Rather you are subjected to a fine to be determined by the judges.

The bible calls for death of all those who murder another person. If it fails to call for death of a man/men who while fighting hit a woman and cause her to lose her fetus, then it stands to reason that scripturally a fetus is not a person. Presumably it is incumbent on the husband of the woman to call for the death penalty if he so wishes, but it seems the judges have the ultimate say.
Ok...well then let's enact laws making abortion punishable by fines. Better yet, let's expand on this fine idea and give "abortion tickets" just like traffic tickets.

The Bible says very clearly that there should be a punishment for aborting a fetus. That's the whole point.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-17-2009 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:28 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Ok...well then let's enact laws making abortion punishable by fines. Better yet, let's expand on this fine idea and give "abortion tickets" just like traffic tickets.

The Bible says very clearly that there should be a punishment for aborting a fetus. That's the whole point.
oh well if its in the bible then what are we waiting for, we have to do what the Bible tells us. The bible has never been wrong on anything, ever...

Old 03-18-2009, 08:45 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
oh well if its in the bible then what are we waiting for, we have to do what the Bible tells us. The bible has never been wrong on anything, ever...
I firmly believe the Bible should have no place in our laws. The part about the fines was a joke and the other part was contradicting Ohio-psycho's skewed interpretations of the Bible.

The reason I feel abortion should be against the law has NOTHING to do with religion. It has to do with the fact that I believe that the child IS alive and that it's no better than a mother killing her child after the child is born. As science and medicine advance, the age at which a fetus can survive outside its mother's womb is being pushed earlier and earlier. If fetuses have survived outside the womb in the second trimester (which they have), why on earth should abortion be allowed if the child is the same age?

I would be happy to compromise and allow abortions in the first trimester ONLY for now. However, once we have fetuses surviving outside the womb during the first trimester, abortions will have to be banned then as well.

We need to do more studies on exactly when a fetus can think, feel, etc. (even the slightest bit). Once the fetus can think or feel ANYTHING, abortion needs to be illegal. If studies in the future prove that this is during the first trimester, my compromise also ends then. At that point, it's clearly murder.

Remember, it's not just about the mother's rights. I'm so sick and tired of hearing this constant BS about the "woman's rights" to choose. What about the child's rights? What about the rights of the father of the child?

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-18-2009 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 PM

422 posts, read 649,508 times
A woman also has the right to keep her legs closed. Everyone likes to squawk about rape and incest but over 99% of abortions are a result of irresponsible men and women having unprotected sex and wanting to kill the baby out of convenience. It is barbaric, cruel, and has NO place in civilized society. We weep for the victims of Iraq and 9/11 but walk past abortion clinics without batting an eyelid. Some may want to pretend God is not there but he isn't pleased by this and you reap what you sow. Meaning sow corn and get corn. Sow thoughtless murder and that's what you'll get.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:56 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
Pro choice. It's ultimately the woman's choice to bear the child, not my determination, not society's, not government, not religion. As for the religious argument, I'll leave that between the woman and her concept of God, and continue to work on my own relationship with the Lord, and worry less about others relationship with the Lord.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
I have a direct question for you. Do you believe a woman who has been raped should be legally required to carry the unborn baby to term and deliver it?

A woman is not legally required to carry a baby for any reason in 2009 so perhaps I misunderstand your question ? If you are speaking of a biblical life (the whole 52 books not just the old covenant) then yes. The life is not hers to take. Until you can create a human from dust then killing one to spare yourself some type of upset is NO excuse. If Christ did what was convenient for him then we would all be in trouble. You seem to be speaking from a self centered position which has no Christ like spirit attached to it at all. We are all tested to strengthen us and bring us to the place that God wants us IF we are obedient to him. As long as we keep trying to tell him "you messed up this time so i'll fix it for ya" we'll always find ourselves in undesireable situations.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Pro choice. It's ultimately the woman's choice to bear the child, not my determination, not society's, not government, not religion. As for the religious argument, I'll leave that between the woman and her concept of God, and continue to work on my own relationship with the Lord, and worry less about others relationship with the Lord.
You are right in that everyone has a choice. To murder or not is a choice. The problem comes when people attempt to reinvent God into some lax liberal being who accepts anything . Since you said lord thats very generic so you could be talking about anyone from satan to buddha so its unclear who you meant. Make NO mistake that the Our Heavenly father God of Abraham and the bible does not condone killing children because its a bad time for you right now regardless of the propoganda in magazines and on Oprah.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:22 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
If you don't like abortion you probably shouldn't have one. If you do have one you probably shouldn't talk about it.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:27 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
Make NO mistake that the Our Heavenly father God of Abraham and the bible does not condone killing children because its a bad time for you right now regardless of the propoganda in magazines and on Oprah.
He does not condone murdering children unless its to get people out of Egypt right?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
He does not condone murdering children unless its to get people out of Egypt right?
I don't recall him sending human beings to murder any children. If you disobey him and sow bloodshed and cruelty then you WILL reap that . And they weren't just people they were HIS people and the Egyptians were asked nicely. They disobeyed and had to pay for it as GOD saw fit. The mistake many men make is putting themselves on par with God. As I stated earlier if you can CREATE life then its your to take. Since we can't even create a speck of dirt from nothing then human life is not ours to take. I was asked a question and thats my answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates