U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:36 PM

613 posts, read 1,153,980 times

Advertisements

I'm firmly pro choice but I feel that if anyone willingly engages in sex they have made a choice to create life. That is obviously what sex does. Sure, the choice in becoming a parent is not always made, and therefor can be refused. Though in those cases, I think they should be required to pay child support. I also believe that we do have an overpopulation problem. If you feel this way you should advocate the tieing and snipping of things instead of abortion. Once life is created it has infinite possibilities. An abortion could kill a person that the future will need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 12:44 PM

8,181 posts, read 16,155,849 times
While it's not for me.....
I have to go with pro-choice.
If a woman that I know and care about deeply decides to do this, I would want a clean and sterile enviroment available to her. I would had to see us go back to rusty coat hangers in back alleys.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:12 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,995,737 times
This is one that I struggle with. I am Catholic and I believe life begins at conception and that taking that life is a huge no no. But. I am also a woman and I will be damned if I will tell another woman what to do with her body and I have gone and sat in the waiting room and driven home friends who have had one done. Of course I had to pray about it and go to confession later lol. Seriously though. It's just not black or white for me.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:18 PM

2,584 posts, read 9,360,319 times
I am firmly against abortion.

As a dad I do not have the legal choice to kill any of my children (not that I want to), and don't see how the mom should have the legal choice to kill any of her children either (born or not).

I have every right to tell another dad not to kill his kids, even if he wanted to - so don't see why I don't have every right to tell a mother not to kill her kids (born or not), even if she wants to.

The only exception I struggle with is in the rare rare case of the life of the mother versus the life of the child, but in that case I view it no different than a first responder getting to a car wreck wtih two critical injured individuals and that person can only save one of the individuals - or a fireman that must choose which of the two people to pull from the burning house - no good answer and thank God one of them was saved and be with the rescuer for not being able to save the other. In most cases the save would probably be the mother, but I am aware of two cases where the save was the child.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:21 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,509,618 times
If I were to conceive, there is a 99.9% I would have an abortion. I can not speak for anyone else.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM

857 posts, read 1,228,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
3. The world, in the aggregate, is NOT overpopulated. That is a lie. There may be pockets which are overpopulated, but overall the world is not. The U.S., for example, still has a ton of habitable space.
6 billion people, thats ~ 20 times the US population. u dont think of it as overpopulated because its not crowded here, but if everyperson on this planet was given a reasonable amount of food and land to live on then we would have no space left. Were just happy because people in china are willing to live in rediculous close quarters in rediculously large urban ghettos. if most of them were all given a house in the burbs this planet would be out of land to use. I guess over populated depends on how you look at it

Old 02-20-2009, 04:43 PM

9,761 posts, read 2,963,449 times
This is such a hard thing to debate or discuss because there are so many issues wrapped up inside this argument.
But my opinion: Yeah.. I don't think women should be forced to carry or give birth to a child. I want the right to an abortion even if I never choose to have an abortion.. and I hope to God I never choose to have one. You know I heard a saying once: You can't legislate morality. I think it applies here.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:16 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,648,289 times
Default Yes, there is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
My "pro-choice" is that I am "pro-life". I think there's no difference in stopping a 3-week old unborn's life or a 2 year-old's. Both are a heck of an inconvience, but both are alive. However, since abortion is legal (Roe v. Wade 1973) I will accept it. It's just not for me. Glad my Mother felt the same way.
I had a 3 year old daughter when I had an ectopic pregancy. I cared a hell of a lot more about my living and breathing 3 year old daughter than a 5 week old embryo.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:23 PM

9,761 posts, read 2,963,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I had a 3 year old daughter when I had an ectopic pregancy. I cared a hell of a lot more about my living and breathing 3 year old daughter than a 5 week old embryo.
Absolutely!! Another reason it should be legalized..

I've got a (almost) 13 y/o daughter and am a single parent with little to no support from family.. her father is deceased. If I was in your shoes Tanaples.. in a heartbeat.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:33 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,538,974 times
I personally do not like abortions. But I also believe in informed choice.

if a woman is allowed to demand from the courts child support from the father, then the father also has the right to any say so in whether or not the pregnancy is aborted.

if women are not ok with this, then the women have no sayso in whether or not the father pays any child support too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates