U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-21-2009, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,739,179 times
Reputation: 4539

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Then how would YOU describe it in relation to the size of the thing coming out of you? Which, when you think about it, is creepy in an of itself.
Nope. Never had a baby. Never will. My birthday present to myself when I turn 25 is to have my tubes tied, burned, and then tied again.
It doesnt take a rocket scientist to look at what a pregnancy does to your body (stretch marks, sickness, boobs leaking, weight gain, etc...disgusting.I'd rather jump off a cliff than to do that to myself)

Yes, yes, Im going to be a 30 year old married woman in the future and not have sex...HA! Unrealistic much?
I can avoid it by
(a) Pill
(b) condom
(c) combine the two each time
(d) Finally turn 25 so that a doctor will actually tie 'em in a knot and burn all possibilities.
(e) In the meantime, use all precautions and hope to God I have the same inability to have kids as my aunt.


First off, where in the blue hell did I say that?! Answer? I didnt. Pregnancy to me would be horrific and I absolutely REFUSE to do it. Ever. Its the one thing I truly despise about being a woman.
We take every precaution we can, but if those precautions fail then I want an option to safely get out of being pregnant. If the option to safely do so isnt available, I'd find my own way.
Think about that, because there are other women who'd do the same thing. There would be underground abortions in possibly less than safe conditions. Basic law of business, friends. If there's a need then SOMEBODY would fill it, legal or not. Abortion isnt new, and legal or not it would happen.
Look it up, and you'll see that women have attempted to end a pregnancy via a coathanger and ended up killing themselves on top of it.
Second, if I completely lost my mind and decided I wanted children, I'd go to the SPCA first.
If the critter(s) didnt satisfy the urge, I'd look into a human SPCA...called an adoption agency.
It's this attitude right here that frustrates me so much. You are saying you'd use abortion as another BC method.

And why do you hate kids so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2009, 10:15 AM
 
422 posts, read 554,404 times
Reputation: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
I don't give a hot damn what it seems like to you.. if that's the way you see it fine. That's a box you're creating for yourself based on your beliefs.. you live in that box... just stop wagging your finger telling everyone else that because sometimes they want to celebrate a pregnancy and other times they want it terminated.. they're hypocritical. We were talking about a 9 y/o and if a kid that age got pregnant I certainly won't be celebrating...
It doesn't seem like anything. Its hypocritical period. I wasn't referring to the 9 year old in the celebrate/murder statement but adult hypocritical women. Im sure you would love for that to be a box I've created so you could shut the lid and walk away. It isn't though and I imagine thats why you are getting angry and resorting to profanity in your posts. Explains a lot though. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Nowhere
9,761 posts, read 2,959,541 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
It doesn't seem like anything. Its hypocritical period. I wasn't referring to the 9 year old in the celebrate/murder statement but adult hypocritical women. Im sure you would love for that to be a box I've created so you could shut the lid and walk away. It isn't though and I imagine thats why you are getting angry and resorting to profanity in your posts. Explains a lot though. Take care.
Whatever Chicka.. I'm tired of you

We started this discussion last night.. you need to read my posts before you can expect me to engage in any real discussion with you.

You're being disrespectful and annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,739,179 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
As you said, they seem to care more about the unborn than the already born. I had an ectopic pregnancy. At the time I was married and had three year old daughter. As my doctor said to me at the time, I had to unfortunately go to a "christian" hospital because there were no beds in the state run hospital.

I cannot tell you how badly they treated me. Like I was some kind of criminal because I wanted to be treated for this. Yes, that meant "killing my baby" as they said. Well, hell what about MY LIFE? What about the fact that my already born child wanted her mother? All this for a baby that had no chance of surviving 9 months in a fallopian tube anyway?
1. A child deserves more protection than an adult.

2. If the baby has no chance of surviving, that's a different situation IMO.

3. As long as the abortion is done before the end of the first trimester, I have less of a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 AM
 
Location: NYC area
3,486 posts, read 4,929,646 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I see your point, but the man should have some choice in the matter as well. There is a lot of potential for abuse in your line of thinking. For example, there have been cases (yes, plural) of professional athletes getting mired in paternity suits because a woman fished a condom out of the trash. It isn't uncommon for women to believe that they can trap a man with a unilateral pregnancy and some women see an "accidental" pregnancy as a source of income.

If the biological father never supported the woman's choice or there was some quantifiable deception or slight-of-hand, that should be a consideration as well. Monetary support under those circumstances should be an election, not an obligation.
No one should have any "choice" with respect to a fully grown adult human being's body. For the record, there is exactly one documented case of a woman fishing a condom out of the trash and successfully getting pregnant -- and that was because she wanted to be a mother. Since typical child support awards cover only about a third of the actual cost of raising a child, and since single motherhood effectively puts the brakes on a woman's career and ability to increase her income, the myth of legions of women getting rich by getting pregnant is just that -- a myth. That, however, is besides the point. Pregnancy is a parasitical process, and the decision to end or continue it is, fundamentally, a medical one. Until a mother can have a "choice" to donate the father's kidney to her fully grown and developed child, the father should have no choice as to what happens to the mother's uterus.

Purple: For you to presume to tell women how to feel about their pregnancies is the height of presumption. It's silly, anyway; it's like saying that a woman who complains about having been raped is a hypocrite because at some time in her life prior to the rape, there was an occasion when she actually enjoyed sex. A woman may fantasize about her lump of cells being a baby, but it's a fantasy involving the future, not the present. I actually grew up in a culture -- one of many such cultures -- in which it is inappropriate to prepare for the baby until there actually is a baby; but the same culture has no problem with buying things or clothes for a child that he will not use until years later. That is because a fetus isn't a baby; however much you may love the baby that it might become, it isn't one in the present. And if a woman who was raped isn't sprinting down to Toys R Us to pick out the nursery color scheme, but instead views her embryo as an infection and the pregnancy as a continuation of the rape, it's really not your place to call her a hypocrite. Nor is it your place to call her names if some time after the rape, she gets pregnant of her own choice and actually welcomes it. Sorry to be blunt, but I must call it the way I see it.

Last edited by Redisca; 03-21-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,739,179 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
No one should have any "choice" with respect to a fully grown adult human being's body.
With respect to protecting a person who can't make a choice, yes. With respect to a person who is just as much yours as hers, yes.

In the case of a rapist, I do agree.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-21-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: added opinion re: rape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Nowhere
9,761 posts, read 2,959,541 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Purple: For you to presume to tell women how to feel about their pregnancies is the height of presumption. It's silly, anyway; it's like saying that a woman who complains about having been raped is a hypocrite because at some time in her life prior to the rape, there was an occasion when she actually enjoyed sex. A woman may fantasize about her lump of cells being a baby, but it's a fantasy involving the future, not the present. I actually grew up in a culture -- one of many such cultures -- in which it is inappropriate to prepare for the baby until there actually is a baby; but the same culture has no problem with buying things or clothes for a child that he will not use until years later. That is because a fetus isn't a baby; however much you may love the baby that it might become, it isn't one in the present. And if a woman who was raped isn't sprinting down to Toys R Us to pick out the nursery color scheme, but instead views her embryo as an infection and the pregnancy as a continuation of the rape, it's really not your place to call her a hypocrite. Nor is it your place to call her names if some time after the rape, she gets pregnant of her own choice and actually welcomes it. Sorry to be blunt, but I must call it the way I see it.
And.. you said that very well.. kudos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Nowhere
9,761 posts, read 2,959,541 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
With respect to protecting a person who can't make a choice, yes. With respect to a person who is just as much yours as hers, yes.

The embryo is not a person yet.. and here you are implying that the rights of the embryo supersede the rights of the woman. It's wrong to order someone to go through a pregnancy no matter what your personal beliefs are.. if you think there is a soul attached to the embryo and that is what makes it murder then don't have an abortion... teach your children not to have abortions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,739,179 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
The embryo is not a person yet.. and here you are implying that the rights of the embryo supersede the rights of the woman. It's wrong to order someone to go through a pregnancy no matter what your personal beliefs are.. if you think there is a soul attached to the embryo and that is what makes it murder then don't have an abortion... teach your children not to have abortions.
This is why I agree with drawing a line between the first and second trimesters...I actually do not view an embryo as a person, but do view a fetus as one. Whether the embryo is a "life" or not I can't decide.

However, in a consensual sex situation, I cannot agree with a father having no rights to a child that is 50% his and that he would also be responsible for later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Nowhere
9,761 posts, read 2,959,541 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This is why I agree with drawing a line between the first and second trimesters...I actually do not view an embryo as a person, but do view a fetus as one. Whether the embryo is a "life" or not I can't decide.

However, in a consensual sex situation, I cannot agree with a father having no rights to a child that is 50% his and that he will also be responsible for later.
I hear ya about the dad thing.. but imo it still comes down to my/her body. You can't tell me that anyone has any say about what I allow to grow in my body or not.. the dad gives up that right when he 'spreads his legs' or however you wanna term that, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:29 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top