U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:35 PM

9,761 posts, read 2,963,185 times

Advertisements

Hmm.. that's a good point monkeywrenching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 06:02 PM

588 posts, read 2,492,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
6 billion people, thats ~ 20 times the US population. u dont think of it as overpopulated because its not crowded here, but if everyperson on this planet was given a reasonable amount of food and land to live on then we would have no space left. Were just happy because people in china are willing to live in rediculous close quarters in rediculously large urban ghettos. if most of them were all given a house in the burbs this planet would be out of land to use. I guess over populated depends on how you look at it
A point to ponder: Did you know that if every single person on the entire planet was given a 400 square foot "apartment", surrounded by a 6 foot lawn/garden on all sides, you could fit everyone in the world in the state of Texas?

Every single person in the world (6 billion +).
Each person gets ~1240 square feet of space, including their outdoor area.
The entire planet can be housed in Texas. And this is with just single story housing.

Do the math. We're not overcrowded.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:05 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Opposed...

Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 PM

288 posts, read 787,390 times
My stance is that it's up to the woman. Her body, her choice. Since I'm male, I know that I will never be and am incapable of understanding exactly what a woman in this circumstance will go through.

It's not my place to push my beliefs onto others.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
My stance is that it's up to the woman. Her body, her choice. Since I'm male, I know that I will never be and am incapable of understanding exactly what a woman in this circumstance will go through.

It's not my place to push my beliefs onto others.
It is kinda weird to tell someone that they MUST allow a fetus to grow inside their body.. no? There are soo many issues wrapped up in this.. I think you've just got to give women their rights and if a woman decides to have an abortion because she simply doesn't want to give birth to a child that she has no intention of raising.. that boils down to a moral decision and you can't legislate morality.

Last edited by FlaGrrrl; 02-20-2009 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 06:35 PM

5,520 posts, read 11,969,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
A point to ponder: Did you know that if every single person on the entire planet was given a 400 square foot "apartment", surrounded by a 6 foot lawn/garden on all sides, you could fit everyone in the world in the state of Texas?

Every single person in the world (6 billion +).
Each person gets ~1240 square feet of space, including their outdoor area.
The entire planet can be housed in Texas. And this is with just single story housing.

Do the math. We're not overcrowded.
Yeah, but what about the farmland required to support all 6 billion people? How much additional space would that require?
How many acres of forest land would be required to supply all the paper and wood products necessary?
How much land would be required for mining ores necessary for 6 billion people?
How much land would be required for the factories to produce the finished goods for 6 billion people?

Hopefully you get my point.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:13 PM

414 posts, read 867,495 times
Pro-Life.

Let me quote a little Dr. Seuss...
"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Old 02-20-2009, 07:23 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,328,308 times
I am pro-choice in the sense that I believe it is the woman's body, it is her that will carry the baby and deliver it, and only she knows if this is something she wants to do or can deal with. However, I would personally never have an abortion. I believe life starts at conception. You hear people say, it is only a blob of cells etc. It is a human baby at a certain level of development. If you have an abortion you are killing a baby, and that is that. The choice should not be taken from women, I would just never make that choice myself.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:06 PM

4,248 posts, read 5,315,131 times
I absolutely believe in the right to choose. Where I live you have that choice and that is how it should be. A woman has every right to choose whether she becomes a mother or not. That is a life changing decision, even if you don't keep the child it remains in your heart and mind for the rest of your life. There is room for debate over when life starts but personally I don't think you could call it human until it has a functioning brain. The brain doesn't really start developing until after about 12 weeks and then it goes through a rapid development and does not become fully developed until 32 weeks. Of course there is a rudimentary brain but not one that is capable of feeling or thought. I don't agree with abortion after 12 weeks but whole heartedly agree with it anytime before. Before 12 weeks it really is only a potential human, like a seed is not a tree but a potential one. It is not an easy decision to make but sometimes it really is the best thing that can be done for all concerned.

I understand that people have views based on their religion and that is their right but they should not be allowed to dictate to the rest of society the rules by which they should live based purely on religious beliefs.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:13 PM

Good argument! I think that when you have sex.. you should be mature enough to know you're playing Russian roulette.. even with protection. So, I'm kinda torn on the argument for abortion as a means of birth control. But I hear ya argument and it's a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
I absolutely believe in the right to choose. Where I live you have that choice and that is how it should be. A woman has every right to choose whether she becomes a mother or not. That is a life changing decision, even if you don't keep the child it remains in your heart and mind for the rest of your life. There is room for debate over when life starts but personally I don't think you could call it human until it has a functioning brain. The brain doesn't really start developing until after about 12 weeks and then it goes through a rapid development and does not become fully developed until 32 weeks. Of course there is a rudimentary brain but not one that is capable of feeling or thought. I don't agree with abortion after 12 weeks but whole heartedly agree with it anytime before. Before 12 weeks it really is only a potential human, like a seed is not a tree but a potential one. It is not an easy decision to make but sometimes it really is the best thing that can be done for all concerned.

I understand that people have views based on their religion and that is their right but they should not be allowed to dictate to the rest of society the rules by which they should live based purely on religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates