U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 08:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,078,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I STRONGLY support proper sex education in schools. I like the "abstinence plus" method. Teaching the kids that abstinence is the only method that's 100% but then also teaching about contraceptives. I'd like them to teach exactly how effective each method is, teach about combining methods, and to teach that the methods are not as effective if they are not used correctly.

I also support making condoms available in certain places for free.
They should probably also teach the responsibilities and realities of parenthood should the birth control prove ineffective or fail.

And what about other forms of contraceptives? Why aren't they also free?

Seems to me there's a huge expense over a reproductive lifetime for a women to maintain birth control methods and clearly many men aren't interested in using condoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:01 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,594,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
They should probably also teach the responsibilities and realities of parenthood should the birth control prove ineffective or fail.

And what about other forms of contraceptives? Why aren't they also free?

Seems to me there's a huge expense over a reproductive lifetime for a women to maintain birth control methods and clearly many men aren't interested in using condoms.
Other forms of contraceptatives are too expensive to make free. If we could make condoms free, that would be a good start.

I should also add that I think the sex ed classes should teach about the dangers of pregnancy and childbirth and about the responsibilites of parenting....which we seem to agree on.

I also like the idea of subsidized adoptions.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 AM

857 posts, read 1,217,201 times
Quote:
We have more of a duty to help the American children than the children in other countries.
And that is my point entirely, you do not care about all human life! Its not about all the rights any person deserves, its about what an American life deserves. You are saying that since its an American a life is much more important and valuable and deserves all our attention. You don't care about the kids in Africa, the ones who have made it all the way through pregnancy to become an actual living breathing clearly visible life. So what do you care what happens to a fertilized egg that may or may not have reached a point that is considered being alive???

Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
And that is my point entirely, you do not care about all human life! Its not about all the rights any person deserves, its about what an American life deserves. You are saying that since its an American a life is much more important and valuable and deserves all our attention. You don't care about the kids in Africa, the ones who have made it all the way through pregnancy to become an actual living breathing clearly visible life. So what do you care what happens to a fertilized egg that may or may not have reached a point that is considered being alive???
The American life deserves more attention from Americans. The foreign life deserves more attention from the people in that country.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Other forms of contraceptatives are too expensive to make free. If we could make condoms free, that would be a good start.

I should also add that I think the sex ed classes should teach about the dangers of pregnancy and childbirth and about the responsibilites of parenting....which we seem to agree on.

I also like the idea of subsidized adoptions.
I'd suggest free birth control and a decrease in the number of unwanted and unplanned pregnancies and abortions is the less expensive option both financially and morally. If you're going to subsidize the adoptions why not subsidize other birth control methods?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:29 AM

44,068 posts, read 42,372,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
That's pretty presumptious of you.

If my mother had aborted me and I wasn't here, so what? It would have been entirely her choice to make as far as I'm concerned. She most definitely would have had a better life had she chosen to abort, in my opinion.
I wouldn't want my mother to abort me. You should have a chance at life.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 AM

857 posts, read 1,217,201 times
Quote:
The American life deserves more attention from Americans. The foreign life deserves more attention from the people in that country.
I was wondering how long it was going to take to see the Texan come out of you. The ignorance of this statement astounds me but I know you are not alone in your opinion. I cannot comprehend how a country, composed almost entirely of immigrants, can be so callous towards the rest of the world. And does this mean that foreigners are free to get all the abortions they want while millions of children are allowed to die of starvation, all because they are not American?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I wouldn't want my mother to abort me. You should have a chance at life.
No, you got a chance at life and you are thankful for it.

I got a chance at life and I am ambivalent about it.

I don't view it the same way you do.

Had my mother aborted me I'd not be here to discuss it anyway but I can't say that if she had aborted me that I think it would have been a bad thing. It's not a bad thing she had me either but I don't tend to get all caught up in "sanctity of life" arguments.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I was wondering how long it was going to take to see the Texan come out of you. The ignorance of this statement astounds me but I know you are not alone in your opinion. I cannot comprehend how a country, composed almost entirely of immigrants, can be so callous towards the rest of the world. And does this mean that foreigners are free to get all the abortions they want while millions of children are allowed to die of starvation, all because they are not American?
I'm not callous towards the rest of the world. I understand they have tons and tons of problems. At the same time, it's not our job to fix those problems. I think we've become far, far too involved in the intricate details of the lives of those in other countries. Sure, we can donate our money and time, etc. to try and help and we can voice our opinions about ways to deal with the problems. But the burden is on them and we cannot consider them when talking about our problems here at home.

I don't think that abortion should be allowed, at least not the way it is now in the US, in any country. But, what laws they may or may not enact are none of our business.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,750,096 times
Quote:
The point of the matter here is that it really doesn't matter if pro-life people are hypocritical/inconsistent (not saying we are!) as the day is long! It still wouldn't make abortion moral. That's what this thread is about~abortion. But maybe it's just the "Texan" coming out in me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates