U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-03-2009, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 804,148 times
Reputation: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Then where would you say our laws come from? How do/did our leaders determine what would be included in the law?

afoi how the hell do we keep running into this same argument on every single thread ???? Just tell everyone to look at the majority rule thread...
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2009, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,459 posts, read 3,752,510 times
Reputation: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If you are not prepared for a child, you do not have unprotected sex. If you are REALLY not prepared for a child, you don't have sex as all. Abortions are not necessary to avoid having the responsibility of parenthood thrust upon anyone.
By this rationale, people who don't want children should never have sex? Yanno, since nothing is foolproof (or so the abstinence only people continually insist)?
I think my husband might object to your sort of thinking-- and I'm not too crazy about it, either.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 11:30 AM
 
25,360 posts, read 20,398,858 times
Reputation: 7043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
By this rationale, people who don't want children should never have sex? Yanno, since nothing is foolproof (or so the abstinence only people continually insist)?
I think my husband might object to your sort of thinking-- and I'm not too crazy about it, either.
I don't want children at this moment in time so I am not having sex. Abstinence is fullproof. Never said it was easy, just fullproof. I am waiting until I get married and financially settled. I will never be for abortion because if my mother aborted me, I wouldn't be alive.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,459 posts, read 3,752,510 times
Reputation: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Oh please. The sick b***ard who raped her needs to be locked up in a cell until the day he dies. However, abortion is something that penalizes the child. Even in a rape situation, I cannot condone it. You can moan and whine all you want about how unfair it is to the mother. But think about the innocent CHILD for once.

In this case the mother was a child herself. So I understand it's a terribly, terribly difficult situation. But, at the same time, I will never approve.
Because, as noted, a girlchild's life doesn't matter, once she's born.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 11:33 AM
 
25,360 posts, read 20,398,858 times
Reputation: 7043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Because, as noted, a girlchild's life doesn't matter, once she's born.
Every child matters. If all of the girlchildren were aborted, there would be no Susan B. Anthony, no Harriet Tubman, no Nellie Tayloe Ross, none of the female doctors would exist, not to mention, the end of human kind because it takes a WOMAN AND A MAN to create a child.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,459 posts, read 3,752,510 times
Reputation: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The posters on this thread will tell you that the baby is a parasite (I understand this is biologically correct) and that, as a fetus, he or she is simply a part of his or her mother's body and has no rights.

My point is that the mother, 99.99999% of the time, chose to engage in an action knowing that a child could result.

Again...we're back to punishing women for having the temerity to <gasp> have sex.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,459 posts, read 3,752,510 times
Reputation: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
My position is that abortion should remain legal but that we should do everything within our power to MAKE IT RARE. That means stressing the importance of abstinence in schools.
Yeah, that worked out really well for the Palin kid (among others).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,459 posts, read 3,752,510 times
Reputation: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't want children at this moment in time so I am not having sex. Abstinence is fullproof. Never said it was easy, just fullproof. I am waiting until I get married and financially settled. I will never be for abortion because if my mother aborted me, I wouldn't be alive.
If my mother had aborted my eldest sister, and probably myself, it would have made no huge change in world events, and probably made her life a whole lot happier.
As for me, I wouldn't be here to care one way or another(though according to my personal religious beliefs, I might well be elsewhere).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,459 posts, read 3,752,510 times
Reputation: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Every child matters. If all of the girlchildren were aborted, there would be no Susan B. Anthony, no Harriet Tubman, no Nellie Tayloe Ross, none of the female doctors would exist, not to mention, the end of human kind because it takes a WOMAN AND A MAN to create a child.
Okay, now we're getting silly.
Even in China, no one's managed to abort all girlchildren, and no one here's suggesting it.
As for "every child matters", I fail to see evidence of this in realspace, even in First World countries.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 12:45 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
5,833 posts, read 3,000,683 times
Reputation: 4123
I believe it is almost always the wrong choice, but that being said I also believe it needs to be solely the choice of the parents and the doctor. Government needs to stay out of it.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top