U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 06:43 PM

34,611 posts, read 42,779,610 times

Advertisements

Against it for myself.
Against it after the first trimester.
Private matter between a woman and her doctor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:24 PM

32 posts, read 67,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
Have you ever been to an abortion clinic? Have you spoken to a lot of women who have openly shared their abortion stories with you? If you had, you probably wouldn't even make this comment.

However, I understand where you are coming from. YES, there ARE women like this. But if you only knew how most women were threatened, coerced, or pressured into an abortion, I'm sure you would see why I'm pointing out this comment. I actually know over a hundred women who have had abortions. If I have to give an estimate, only about 20% of them fall into the category you mentioned. At most.

A LOT of women I know weren't expecting a child and didn't want one..but once they fell pregnant truly wanted their baby and were pressured severely by their bfs etc. A LOT of women I know were teenagers when their abortions occured...is it that hard to believe their teenage bf pressured them to do this &/or manipulated them? No.

And a GOOD chunk of women I know actually were using protection. Some were using condoms, and MANY were using the PILL. Some who were using condoms knew it broke and rushed to get the morning after pill....and well..it didn't work. They DID try not to get pregnant. They did everything they possibly could as a human being...except for abstaining in whole..but that is unrealistic.

I'm not advocating for abortion. But I will continue to call out comments that make it seem as though the vast majority of abortions occur just because the woman doesn't want to ruin her life. It might be hard to believe..but the vast majority of women who have had abortions are far from selfish &/or cold-hearted. I know, because I am one of them.

My abortion was very early on. Some refer to my potential baby as tissue. I got pregnant when I was taking initiative with my partner to avoid it. And it happened at a time that was medically awful. I could have given birth to a child who had an almost guaranteed chance of being deformed, defected, or mentally challenged...or I could choose abortion. Both made me sick to my stomach. My thought was...I can do this..I want my baby..I'm strong enough to raise a baby no matter the issue..and I love them just the same. But thru a few discussions and other moments of thought..I realized that I might be able to do it...but how fair was it to bring my baby into this world and allow them to suffer? I strongly feel that if I were given the choice to come into this world or not, if I was disabled, I would have said NO. Life was hard enough for me and I didn't even have disabilities such as the severe ones that were imposed.

Before we make accusations or mark off all women as uncaring or irresponsible, just because they have had an abortion..we might want to hold our tongues...because you're most likely offending a good 40%+ of the females around you. Of all the gf's I have..I already know of at least 1/3 of them who have had abortions ...so just think of the ones living in secret depression still. We don't know everyones individual story...and even once we learn of them and see that they did it for the wrong reasons...all you can do is feel sorry and know they will be paying for the decisions of their heart.

Unfortunately, yes, m'dear. I have. And, if you had read my earlier post on this subject, you would know that precise moment when I walked into the clinic I had, I made the decision I would/could never support abortion. In fact, it was a wildly packed abortion-only clinic, and I looked at every scared woman who sat in that room, and I sympathised with them, for going through what they were about to do. I was pregnant at a young age, my mother had been persuading me to have an abortion, I too thought my life was over. I went to that clinic with my boyfriend, and my mother, and when they called my name I exited that building, knowing that I now had the responsibility of caring for this child, because it was I who had concieved her. I was only 16, unable to fully understand, yet I had then, at that moment, became a woman, a mother. Unforunately, I lost my child a little over a month later. It was the saddest, and most painful day of my life, and I would NEVER do that voluntarily!!!!

There is a morning-after pill, and it is MUCH cheaper, not to mention causing of less trauma. That is a responsible way of handling a broken condom. Not to mention using one or more ways of birth control at the same time. Both the active male AND female should be using protection, this way you can make the odds of pregnancy the lowest possible. I think you have me wrong, I am pro-choice. But I believe once there is a living, growing being inside of you, sharing your blood, depending on you to love it and help it thrive, there is no other choice. At this point the child is your responsibilty, and yes, you must make the best choice for him/her. If you were to tell me that you thought ending its' life were a better choice than giving it a chance to prove the doctors wrong, living and thriving, I would call you selfish, at that point Id think any life would be better than none, except to the point of tremendous pain. Every woman can protect herself, period. If you dont want a chance of getting pregnant, DONT HAVE SEX. A fetus may be just tissue to those who are trying to defend their decision. Would you rip up the beginning of a rose bud, just before the blooming began? I love my roses, and everyday I treasure their flowering scents even more.

Last edited by cooscoosmama; 06-03-2009 at 07:47 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 07:41 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,190,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Yeah, some MD's don't mention it.
But it's on the pack. It's on the label. It's in the brochure.
Absolutely but one would think that MD's have a responsibility to mention when you start taking a medication (ie antibiotics) that it might interact adversely with other medications you are on (ie OCP).

Drug interaction being one of the things that patients look to their MD's to inform them about.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
Have you ever been to an abortion clinic? Have you spoken to a lot of women who have openly shared their abortion stories with you? If you had, you probably wouldn't even make this comment.

However, I understand where you are coming from. YES, there ARE women like this. But if you only knew how most women were threatened, coerced, or pressured into an abortion, I'm sure you would see why I'm pointing out this comment. I actually know over a hundred women who have had abortions. If I have to give an estimate, only about 20% of them fall into the category you mentioned. At most.

A LOT of women I know weren't expecting a child and didn't want one..but once they fell pregnant truly wanted their baby and were pressured severely by their bfs etc. A LOT of women I know were teenagers when their abortions occured...is it that hard to believe their teenage bf pressured them to do this &/or manipulated them? No.

And a GOOD chunk of women I know actually were using protection. Some were using condoms, and MANY were using the PILL. Some who were using condoms knew it broke and rushed to get the morning after pill....and well..it didn't work. They DID try not to get pregnant. They did everything they possibly could as a human being...except for abstaining in whole..but that is unrealistic.

I'm not advocating for abortion. But I will continue to call out comments that make it seem as though the vast majority of abortions occur just because the woman doesn't want to ruin her life. It might be hard to believe..but the vast majority of women who have had abortions are far from selfish &/or cold-hearted. I know, because I am one of them.

My abortion was very early on. Some refer to my potential baby as tissue. I got pregnant when I was taking initiative with my partner to avoid it. And it happened at a time that was medically awful. I could have given birth to a child who had an almost guaranteed chance of being deformed, defected, or mentally challenged...or I could choose abortion. Both made me sick to my stomach. My thought was...I can do this..I want my baby..I'm strong enough to raise a baby no matter the issue..and I love them just the same. But thru a few discussions and other moments of thought..I realized that I might be able to do it...but how fair was it to bring my baby into this world and allow them to suffer? I strongly feel that if I were given the choice to come into this world or not, if I was disabled, I would have said NO. Life was hard enough for me and I didn't even have disabilities such as the severe ones that were imposed.

Before we make accusations or mark off all women as uncaring or irresponsible, just because they have had an abortion..we might want to hold our tongues...because you're most likely offending a good 40%+ of the females around you. Of all the gf's I have..I already know of at least 1/3 of them who have had abortions ...so just think of the ones living in secret depression still. We don't know everyones individual story...and even once we learn of them and see that they did it for the wrong reasons...all you can do is feel sorry and know they will be paying for the decisions of their heart.

I doubt very seriuosly that 40% of women have succumbed to abortion.
I know for a fact that I am the only in all of my friends and family whom have even had an experience with abortion. If that were true, I would be trully shocked.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:35 PM

341 posts, read 343,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooscoosmama View Post
Unfortunately, yes, m'dear. I have. And, if you had read my earlier post on this subject, you would know that precise moment when I walked into the clinic I had, I made the decision I would/could never support abortion. In fact, it was a wildly packed abortion-only clinic, and I looked at every scared woman who sat in that room, and I sympathised with them, for going through what they were about to do. I was pregnant at a young age, my mother had been persuading me to have an abortion, I too thought my life was over. I went to that clinic with my boyfriend, and my mother, and when they called my name I exited that building, knowing that I now had the responsibility of caring for this child, because it was I who had concieved her. I was only 16, unable to fully understand, yet I had then, at that moment, became a woman, a mother. Unforunately, I lost my child a little over a month later. It was the saddest, and most painful day of my life, and I would NEVER do that voluntarily!!!!

There is a morning-after pill, and it is MUCH cheaper, not to mention causing of less trauma. That is a responsible way of handling a broken condom. Not to mention using one or more ways of birth control at the same time. Both the active male AND female should be using protection, this way you can make the odds of pregnancy the lowest possible. I think you have me wrong, I am pro-choice. But I believe once there is a living, growing being inside of you, sharing your blood, depending on you to love it and help it thrive, there is no other choice. At this point the child is your responsibilty, and yes, you must make the best choice for him/her. If you were to tell me that you thought ending its' life were a better choice than giving it a chance to prove the doctors wrong, living and thriving, I would call you selfish, at that point Id think any life would be better than none, except to the point of tremendous pain. Every woman can protect herself, period. If you dont want a chance of getting pregnant, DONT HAVE SEX. A fetus may be just tissue to those who are trying to defend their decision. Would you rip up the beginning of a rose bud, just before the blooming began? I love my roses, and everyday I treasure their flowering scents even more.

No, I understood where you were coming from. I used to think that way as well. And honestly, YES, there are a good portion of women who have an abortion on their own will for selfish reasons...but it's not all of them.

I'm sorry for your experience, but I'm glad you were strong enough to stand up and walk out. Every situation is different and some women, are not as strong at the time of their pregnancy, and later hate themselves a lot for it.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 PM

341 posts, read 343,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooscoosmama View Post
I doubt very seriuosly that 40% of women have succumbed to abortion.
I know for a fact that I am the only in all of my friends and family whom have even had an experience with abortion. If that were true, I would be trully shocked.

I don't expect anyone to believe my statistic. It's a personal one from my experiences. I know a lot of women...and I'm just the type of person that people have an easy time opening up to. And they are right to open up to me, because I am the type of person who they can trust.

I can't speak for everyone...but I know that if I know this many women who have opened up to me..there are MANY more out there that haven't...and if you think you are the only one of your friends and family who has had an abortion experience..I would give it more thought. You never know who you are close to that have been thru an abortion.

I just found out this year that my younger sister had one...and she only told me because I broke down to her about the reason why I was depressed. If she was able to hide it that long from me..it's not far fetched to think that many of your relatives or friends are hiding it from you...or not so much hiding it..but not opening up about it. It's not a pleasant subject for the mostpart.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,546,804 times
It's wrong, and late term is the most wrong of all.......

Old 06-04-2009, 07:51 PM

I believe that there is no real way to answer the qusetion, period. Noone will ever be able to persuade another to think the same way as themselves unless... that person sees a bit, if even a tiny bit, what it is to do this, and what the consequences may be in her life, as well as the unborn childs' life. If a woman has been quote on quote, "pressured" into having a child, rather than aborting it, I believe it only happened because she herself had some bit of doubt in the abortion, whether it was what she/others really wanted her to do. There is strength in all females to do what she believes is right. Whether it be abortion, or not to abort, she must take her decision and truly understand what it is she is doing before she goes through with ANYTHING. From the clinics I've seen, this king of counseling has been available only in very few. In fact, most clinics seem almost pushy, hurried to get the job done, and over with. They seem almost emotionless. I believe there should be some sort of clause in with the beginnings of the abortion process that the intended female should have a certain amount of couseling before she can go through with the process, period. Too many women make a decision like this without knowledge of the aftermath, with total regret and saddness, that they had not thought it through first. 2nd trimester abortions are dispicable, and should be punished to the furtherest degree: doctor, and patient.
I have seen the horrible photos, and seen the horrible stories of how abortions are completed. Usually, they start with a pill, inducing severe contractions. Second, if the contractions do not miscarry the child themselves, after a 1-2 day period, doctors go in to perform/finish the procedure. The patient is then given pain medication.

Unfortunately, there is no such medication for the regret afterwards.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:16 PM

530 posts, read 568,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Oh definitely. I do my research. And I know what works and what doesn't. And if you take the pill correctly, you don't get pregnant. If you miss a day, you don't get pregnant, as long as you take both the next day. If for some strange reason, you miss 2 or 3, then use a back-up method. Don't blame the 'medical industry' for personal irresponsibility.
Actually my cousin got pregnant three times and has three daughters while she was on the pill( and she took it correctly). She was just one of those people who it wasn't effective for. Maybe her ob/gyn should have figured that out before # 3...
I also can not take birth control because of the physical and mental problems it causes( I am a nurse practitioner). Anytime a woman takes something what changes your hormone levels it has the ability to do severe damage to a persons moods.
Not every person who has an abortion does it because they carelessly get pregnant. To simply clump these togetheris to ASSume something you know nothing about.
I have said on this and other forums, the problem isn't abortion, in my view the prob;em comes when you allow the government to dictate what you can do with your body. Where would it lead to? Think about that..

Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,038,741 times
If you knowingly agree to have sexual intercourse you need to grow up and deal with the realities that come with it. If you arent prepared to be a parent that is fine, so give it up for adoption. You have to realize that sexual intercourse has its rewards and risks. You knowingly except those risks when you partake of such an act.

The only instance I think it is okay is if you have reported being raped and truly have been raped. If you did not want the sexual interaction then you need to report it and take a pill that is offered. It was not your fault and nobody should make you feel otherwise.

Overall aside from unwanted sexual intercourse...If you choose to have sex you need to deal with it. Anyone who who has an abortion should be convicted of murder...if their is a heart beat...it is alive, and you need to grow up and accept the responsibility of your actions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates