U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 09:37 AM

22 posts, read 42,395 times

Advertisements

I am pro choice. I strongly believe the government should not have the right to make such a personal decision for a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:39 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,111,249 times
My "stance" is that abortion is the murder of an unborn child. I see no convincing moral difference between Von Stauffenberg's assassination attempt on Hitler and Roeder's shooting of Tiller.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 AM

530 posts, read 557,635 times
And my stance is if you want to stop abortion, castrate men after they give a viable sperm sample. Works for abortion, rape, prostitution, child molestation and a number of other crimes.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:48 AM

1,663 posts, read 2,179,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
People need to realize the responsibility that comes with our choices...if you kill someone...you will be punished...if you quit your job it looks bad...if you have sex...YOU MIGHT GET PREGNANT. If you dont want to get pregnant DON'T HAVE SEX...ITS THAT SIMPLE...OR TRY USING PROTECTION...BUT REALIZE THAT BY HAVING SEX AND USING PROTECTION YOU CAN STILL GET PREGNANT...SO DEAL WITH IT...
fractured...I wholeheartedly agree with you...even though this stance is very unpopular with so many here. It's as simple as you stated...even though most won't agree! Oh, and I tried to rep you, but have to spread it around!

Old 06-05-2009, 11:09 AM

1,779 posts, read 1,998,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
And my stance is if you want to stop abortion, castrate men after they give a viable sperm sample. Works for abortion, rape, prostitution, child molestation and a number of other crimes.
and it would open the doors for other crimes and other problems...you still have not addressed my issue of the man having the option to keep the child...

I do not think the government should control the decision...however i do think that a law need to be in place that makes it both the man and the woman decision...if they cannot decide then the baby is born. Then they both accept responsibility...if one of them doesnt want the child..fine but you still need to step up and deal with it.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
and it would open the doors for other crimes and other problems...you still have not addressed my issue of the man having the option to keep the child...

I do not think the government should control the decision...however i do think that a law need to be in place that makes it both the man and the woman decision...if they cannot decide then the baby is born. Then they both accept responsibility...if one of them doesnt want the child..fine but you still need to step up and deal with it.
Edit: after giving your comment more thought...castrating men would hurt them for life...making someone take responsibility for their actions...like sex leading to babies...makes no sense what so ever. By castration you are taking away a mans right for life...by making abortion illegal and forcing consenting adults to deal with the consequences of having sex does not take away anyone's rights...you could think of it as a sentence in prison i guess...but not taking away a woman's rights...taking away a woman's rights would be to force her to have sex, have the baby and support the baby. But we all know that there is always someone out there to care for most new born babies...yes it may be in an orphanage but at least that child has a chance at happiness.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:06 PM

Heres is another thought I have on this topic...I do not think that the overall concept of abortion is wrong...However, due to our not defining gray area we have allowed younger generations to feel that there is no consequence for your actions...We define abortion as the freedom of a woman to choose to abort(destroy) the fetus(s) growing inside of them. This is absurd, what it should be is a limitation on women who have medical issues that could kill the woman, or women who have been forced into sexual acts by a man. No other reasons should this be allowed...we have given people a scapegoat for their actions...

I hope that one day they have a scapegoat for robbing business's and poeple of their money...god, that would be nice I could rob one or two stores a month and be set fo the month...but i dont have a job so it is ok for me to do this.

Or how about murder, if I could just kill one person a year becasue they **** me off or well i have urges that need to be filled...and only killing can fill them...but becasue of these urges I can get away with it...becasue I have to do it or I'll go nuts...

The two statements above are absurd, and they are no different then allowing people a scapegoat for having sex...Yes, I have sex...and I am not married...however, I make it very clear to the woman that if she gets pregnant that she has to keep the child or I will not have sex. Wow, how hard is that...I use protection and i have displayed my view, I have displayed a level of responsibility for my actions before even committing the act...How hard is it to realize that if you have sex you could get pregnant or even an STD...So how is allowing abortions fair to those that aren't lucky enough to get that option...no instead the get and STD...most of which you are stuck with and there is no aborting of most STD's...Dont you think they should have way out of their consequence?

I could go on and on about this..but there are you out there that refuse to see it any other way...I have and do see things from every perspective...it is how I am. I understand that some people are not ready to have children...simple solution...dont have sex. If you cant handle the consequence/responsibilities...dont get into situations that have them...so basically dont get out of bed...wait...that has consequence...um...no nothing in life comes with out consequence...every action as an egual or greater reaction...

Think of all these people who cant have children...wow...and you have the choice to destroy what they will never enjoy...I say shame on you...

The only two ways i see abortion as ok is when it threatens the life of the mother and when a woman had no choice in the matter of having sexual intercourse...no other way is acceptable and will never gain overall acceptance....I also want to point out that I have never once in my posts used any form of religion to back me up...I do not see this as a religious matter...I simply see this as a matter of consequences and accepting the reality that is responsibility...

We all have to face the music, what you decide to play is up to you...

eventually every choice we make has a consequence, some good some bad...but we make the choices that lead to them...

Old 06-05-2009, 06:23 PM

530 posts, read 557,635 times
Quote:
Heres is another thought I have on this topic...I do not think that the overall concept of abortion is wrong...However, due to our not defining gray area we have allowed younger generations to feel that there is no consequence for your actions...We define abortion as the freedom of a woman to choose to abort(destroy) the fetus(s) growing inside of them. This is absurd, what it should be is a limitation on women who have medical issues that could kill the woman, or women who have been forced into sexual acts by a man. No other reasons should this be allowed...we have given people a scapegoat for their actions...

I hope that one day they have a scapegoat for robbing business's and poeple of their money...god, that would be nice I could rob one or two stores a month and be set fo the month...but i dont have a job so it is ok for me to do this.

Or how about murder, if I could just kill one person a year becasue they **** me off or well i have urges that need to be filled...and only killing can fill them...but becasue of these urges I can get away with it...becasue I have to do it or I'll go nuts...

The two statements above are absurd, and they are no different then allowing people a scapegoat for having sex...Yes, I have sex...and I am not married...however, I make it very clear to the woman that if she gets pregnant that she has to keep the child or I will not have sex. Wow, how hard is that...I use protection and i have displayed my view, I have displayed a level of responsibility for my actions before even committing the act...How hard is it to realize that if you have sex you could get pregnant or even an STD...So how is allowing abortions fair to those that aren't lucky enough to get that option...no instead the get and STD...most of which you are stuck with and there is no aborting of most STD's...Dont you think they should have way out of their consequence?

I could go on and on about this..but there are you out there that refuse to see it any other way...I have and do see things from every perspective...it is how I am. I understand that some people are not ready to have children...simple solution...dont have sex. If you cant handle the consequence/responsibilities...dont get into situations that have them...so basically dont get out of bed...wait...that has consequence...um...no nothing in life comes with out consequence...every action as an egual or greater reaction...

Think of all these people who cant have children...wow...and you have the choice to destroy what they will never enjoy...I say shame on you...

The only two ways i see abortion as ok is when it threatens the life of the mother and when a woman had no choice in the matter of having sexual intercourse...no other way is acceptable and will never gain overall acceptance....I also want to point out that I have never once in my posts used any form of religion to back me up...I do not see this as a religious matter...I simply see this as a matter of consequences and accepting the reality that is responsibility...

We all have to face the music, what you decide to play is up to you...

eventually every choice we make has a consequence, some good some bad...but we make the choices that lead to them...
See there's some gray area in your view as well, when you start making exceptions for reasons you think are ok, then you will have to accept there are others who will want exception for reasons they think are right. You don't think raising a kid you don't want for 18 yrs isn't a jail sentence? I can go with you on both people who know about the child getting a say so. But would you agree to it if the woman said fine, but you take the kid and raise it, i will not. Plenty of women do this now. We can all teach our childern right from wrong, but there are no guarantees they will listen and when hormones hit kids and even adults will do what they want the hell with it. Do you think that making abortion illegal will make it stop? Prositution is illegal but it is the oldest profession known to man. And do you want a prostitute raising a kid? You are correct that neither side will ever give, but we all need to look at every solution before we decide to agree to disagree. You thought my statement about castration was silly, but no sillier than your statements sound to me. You can not dictate morality and you can't tell me what to do with my body! I'm just glad the law is on my side!

Old 06-05-2009, 07:08 PM

341 posts, read 329,263 times
All I can say is, I'm glad that I make the decisions regarding my productive organs and the potential future of MY child whom I didn't want to suffer. There's NOTHING pretty about abortion, but sometimes there ARE emergencies when it's the last option.

I'll admit..YES, abortion IS stopping a human life. YES, I DID have an abortion. I'm not gonna pretty it up. I tell it for what it is. It was a heartbreaking and sickening decision and if I am depressed and in pain about it still...I can only wonder how so many women feel who had theirs for the mere social fact of it.

I had mine for a "reason" and it STILL makes me sick to my stomach to think about it. I don't wish an abortion on ANY woman. I hope other women never find themselves in the shoes that I was in.

What cocos said about the clinics. It is true. They almost want to make the sale. No, actually, it's blatant..you are dollar signs to them. They don't counsel you and they rush you severely thru the process. They were rude and cold to me when I was crying and told me to stop. The women @ the front window looked @ me with disgust like I was crazy for sobbing so hard for what I was about to have done.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:26 PM

13,396 posts, read 13,547,872 times
hugs to you platinum. I am sorry abortion is a hard thing no matter what the circumstance are. any clinic that treats women this way, by rushing them through, is unacceptable. period. the clinic that treated you coldly when you were in tears has forgot why they are there. I wish you would make a formal complaint to the director or who ever is in charge. I know the people who provide these services, and the people that work there are mostly very compassionate. for you to experience anything other than care and compassion is horrendous. the boss should have been told to make sure this didn't happen again. you did what you needed to do and you have no need to make yourself feel any more hearthache over this than you already have. abortion many times is the only option. it is a woman's right. we have the right to privacy and reproductive freedom, it is nothing to feel ashamed or sorry for. heal yourself and be happy warmest aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates