U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 AM

1,779 posts, read 2,000,873 times

Advertisements

wow, a woman who is pregnant with aid and the child has a high risk of having that same disease. Yeah, because that is a common scenario that 50% of out population has to face.

I am very open minded for my age. I do not condemn those that have abortions, I do not agree with it. But I do not see those that have them as evil, just irresponsible for the most of them.

Have we all forgotten the purpose of having sex? It is to have a child, yes sex does not always result in a child, but it is the way they are created. And for someone to take that chance lightly and think that they can just get an abortion if it happens to them, is being irresponsible in my eyes.

Yes, I was wronged by a woman who said that if we got pregnant that WE would keep the child. Well that big if happened, we decided to keep the child together, then becasue she decided that she did not want it, while I was at work one day she had an abortion. She tried to play it off as a miscarriage, but when she saw how depressed I was she could not lie and told me what she did. This was selfish and single minded of her to do. Just as any woman would think that a man who goes out and spends a bunch of money on a credit card for himself without discussing it with his spouse or significant other would feel that the man was being selfish and single minded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 09:00 AM

530 posts, read 558,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
wow, a woman who is pregnant with aid and the child has a high risk of having that same disease. Yeah, because that is a common scenario that 50% of out population has to face.

Actually do you know the stats for std's especially hiv/aids in america and other parts of the world? So it is a likely senario, just as likely as your of a woman having 8 abortions because she was irresponsible and sleeping around.

I am very open minded for my age. I do not condemn those that have abortions, I do not agree with it. But I do not see those that have them as evil, just irresponsible for the most of them.
Yes you do, as stated by your own words, irresponsible, immoral, loose, wh*re's , so you contridict yourself there

Have we all forgotten the purpose of having sex? It is to have a child, yes sex does not always result in a child, but it is the way they are created. And for someone to take that chance lightly and think that they can just get an abortion if it happens to them, is being irresponsible in my eyes.

So you only have sex to reproduce? Why would god give a woman the ability to orgasm then? It was ment to be an act of love between two people( what about gays) so that theory doesn't hold much water with me

Yes, I was wronged by a woman who said that if we got pregnant that WE would keep the child. Well that big if happened, we decided to keep the child together, then becasue she decided that she did not want it, while I was at work one day she had an abortion. She tried to play it off as a miscarriage, but when she saw how depressed I was she could not lie and told me what she did. This was selfish and single minded of her to do. Just as any woman would think that a man who goes out and spends a bunch of money on a credit card for himself without discussing it with his spouse or significant other would feel that the man was being selfish and single minded.
And I am sorry that happened to you, but you are a one in a million case senario. And guess what it's not about you.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:15 AM

1,779 posts, read 2,000,873 times
Your right it is not about me. It is about those that choose to live an irresponsible life. Your also right that I cannot control anyone from doing what is right. But I can try to make the consequences unavoidable and not agree with those that choose to be irresponsible and to oppose those that choose to sit idly by and watch it happen.

With that being said, I can see that no one here will be further swayed in any direction other than what I have already learned. So, I will leave you to your irrisponible choices and be done with it. I would like to see a change in the way the law sees the males legal rights changed in some cases. like mine for example. You cannot tell me that it was unfair to me...after all you are claiming that it is unfair to force a woman to carry a child that is unwanted. The Child that the girl was carrying in my experiance would not have gone unloved or unwanted. Me and my faimly would have accepted it and loved it as much as any other child. We would not have thought harshly if the mom didnt want to see the child, and would not have denied her access.

Thank you all for the enlightening conversation, I can honestly say that my perspective has changed from what it originally was.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Your right it is not about me. It is about those that choose to live an irresponsible life. Your also right that I cannot control anyone from doing what is right. But I can try to make the consequences unavoidable and not agree with those that choose to be irresponsible and to oppose those that choose to sit idly by and watch it happen.

With that being said, I can see that no one here will be further swayed in any direction other than what I have already learned. So, I will leave you to your irrisponible choices and be done with it. I would like to see a change in the way the law sees the males legal rights changed in some cases. like mine for example. You cannot tell me that it was unfair to me...after all you are claiming that it is unfair to force a woman to carry a child that is unwanted. The Child that the girl was carrying in my experiance would not have gone unloved or unwanted. Me and my faimly would have accepted it and loved it as much as any other child. We would not have thought harshly if the mom didnt want to see the child, and would not have denied her access.

Thank you all for the enlightening conversation, I can honestly say that my perspective has changed from what it originally was.
Actually i can say it was unfair to you, but fair to her. If she has chosen not to be part of that childs life, it could have had a very profound effect, and perhaps in a bad way. You even said yourself that people shouldn't be single parents and that it needs a male and female role model. You yourself even know that.

In this life, you just have to be the best person you can be. Do/stand up for what you think it right, and move on. Dwelling on things you can not change just dooms us to live in a sad past existance. So, I do wish you the best, I think your a good kid and I wish you luck with everything you do. Just accept that people are people, good or bad, like it or not, that's life!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:01 AM

341 posts, read 330,035 times
Quote:
There will always be a valid reason for abortion.
I have a great idea that would teach and force people to be responsible. Make it so that the only people that can get an abortion are:

• the woman will die or the baby will be ill if born
  • Who are forced into sexual intercourse
  • Those that used protection
That only leave those that are not responsible and those that want children. Now you can say that there are many children who are then lost in the foster system, yes that is true that is why the laws need to be changes so that it is not so impossible to adopt a child. Why should someone have to pay thousands of dollars to adopt a kid? They are not buying a car and will have to pay to support this child the rest of their lives.

I really hope that this entire post was sarcasm...or else I am very worried for you.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
I really hope that this entire post was sarcasm...or else I am very worried for you.
He hass stated he's given up the abortion debate...likely because he realized he had no sound arguement . Every arguement or question he posed was answered and he felt he had no farther use for this thread....good thing to know that the anti-choicers give up so easy...lol!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:06 AM

Listen up fracturedman. I realize that your ex did something that hurt you..and she did it behind your back. You didn't deserve that. I'm not going to badmouth her because I don't know how she was feeling...and she may not have done it with malice. I do not know the situation.

However, you cannot hold HER actions against every woman out there. You cannot sit here and say that all abortions are due to irresponsibility. At least half of the women I know, who had an abortion, WERE on birth control (and/or actively trying to prevent pregnancy) when they became pregnant. THEY WERE DOING THEIR PART TO PREVENT IT.

Get off your soapbox and stop calling people irresponsible. It sounds ignorant. And I, as a woman find it sickening and offensive that you can play the compassion card when in reality you're just hiding your judgemental ego.

I'm going to try to be fair to you in future replies...but at this point, I'm pondering if I should just ignore you. You are obviously a man who has a deep resentment against woman kind at the expense of your exes mistake.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:08 AM

5 posts, read 7,467 times
I am a pastor's wife here in the metroplex, and as a Christian I firmly believe that life begins at conception. My personal choice (keyword here personal) is I would not choose to have an abortion...that being said, abortion is a legal medical procedure, and like many other legal medical procedures, it is a personal choice....I have a VERY close friend who was faced with an unplanned pregnancy (yes, the sex was consentual and I pointed out to her that she knew sex leads to babies) but she was in no position to have a child and did not feel she was emotionally healthy enough to carry the child and offer it for adoption. I supported her through the process and afterward. She has since gotten counseling for her grief over terminating the pregnancy and is doing very well now.
I am a mother of 3 beautiful, healthy children and I treasure them, but I am also not foolish enough to think everyone sees my views on children. I feel that as a Christian I am to love and support those who see no other way and turn to abortion...no matter the circumstances...I cannot judge them.
Our church even has a ministry for women who chose abortion and are healing from that...it is amazing to see these women heal and evolve.

Sorry for writing a book here, I just wanted to let you know that not all Christians are extremists who picket abortion clinics and yell and show gruesome pictures to those women facing one of the hardest days of their lives.
Thanks for letting me share.

Blessings to all!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
He hass stated he's given up the abortion debate...likely because he realized he had no sound arguement . Every arguement or question he posed was answered and he felt he had no farther use for this thread....good thing to know that the anti-choicers give up so easy...lol!

You know..I really try to educate people who are very harsh about abortion. I try to understand their viewpoint. But sometimes, the ignorance astounds me. And yes, it does come from both sides..but I believe I take it more personally, as a woman (and a woman who had to go thru with a very early ab.) when people make women out to be monsters. Women already have it hard enough..we spend 90% of our God-given lives trying not to get pregnant...trying to get paid as much as men...trying to advance ourselves...trying not to lose our reputation.... I have always considered myself pro-life...even before I was confronted with my heartbreaking situation..but NEVER...EVER..was I ignorant..nor did I cast such cruel comments at those who had been thru with ab's..and I knew a LOT..and still do.

I think deep down..we are ALL really pro-life...if it comes down to it..we all wish there was a way to avoid abortions...but in the reality of it..the world isn't always fair..nor is it perfect..and mistakes and heartbreaking decisions are part of our world and human life.

I'm glad he has given up this debate. I found his comments disturbing and jaded. Hopefully he had a change of heart though.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparmentier View Post
I am a pastor's wife here in the metroplex, and as a Christian I firmly believe that life begins at conception. My personal choice (keyword here personal) is I would not choose to have an abortion...that being said, abortion is a legal medical procedure, and like many other legal medical procedures, it is a personal choice....I have a VERY close friend who was faced with an unplanned pregnancy (yes, the sex was consentual and I pointed out to her that she knew sex leads to babies) but she was in no position to have a child and did not feel she was emotionally healthy enough to carry the child and offer it for adoption. I supported her through the process and afterward. She has since gotten counseling for her grief over terminating the pregnancy and is doing very well now.
I am a mother of 3 beautiful, healthy children and I treasure them, but I am also not foolish enough to think everyone sees my views on children. I feel that as a Christian I am to love and support those who see no other way and turn to abortion...no matter the circumstances...I cannot judge them.
Our church even has a ministry for women who chose abortion and are healing from that...it is amazing to see these women heal and evolve.

Sorry for writing a book here, I just wanted to let you know that not all Christians are extremists who picket abortion clinics and yell and show gruesome pictures to those women facing one of the hardest days of their lives.
Thanks for letting me share.

Blessings to all!

You're right..they are not. I know this because I am one. I'm a Christian..I love God..I pray often..I try to be a good person. I have had a bond with God from a very young age. I said the same thing that you did " I will never have an abortion myself"...and BAM...there I was in the most RANDOM situation with the most awful issue regarding my pregnancy.
I am so glad that you were never faced with that situation. We can never really say never.

I wish your church was closer to me (NYC). I also believe that life begins at conception. Yes, I did have an abortion..but I'm not going to deny that I believe that. So I feel I have had a much harder time with healing. It would be nice to have places like your church closer to us in the city. An abortion is probably the most horrific experience some of us women go thru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates