U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 02:19 PM

12,845 posts, read 24,492,913 times

Advertisements

To put it fairly (if not a bit coldly), the fetus/baby has a parasitic relationship to the woman's body until it can live outside the body- usually set at a minimum of say, 24 weeks. She is not just "carrying" it- it is living off her. I am firmly pro-choice and as for taxpayers not paying for abortion, well, last time I looked, I'm quite a taxpayer, and my taxes go for all sorts of things that I don't approve of, find immoral/wasteful/stupid/counter to my beliefs. We don't get to pick and choose which taxes go where, but for some reason, people seem to think abortion should be different.
I personally am appalled that my tax money funded the Iraq adventure. But nowhere did I see a checkoff system for my taxes that allowed me to dictate which dollars supported which activities.

I trust those who think their taxpayer dollars shouldn't go to abortion are fervent supporters of birth control? I have always thought that a great deal of anti-abortion emotion, at its base, is rage that women can "play but not pay." Otherwise, why not advocate birth control?
Something like half of abortions go to married women. Should women not advocate using birth control because they happen to be married?
Why aren't anti-abortion people being at all concerned about the hundreds of thousands of frozen embryos that are on ice/destroyed/forgotten? Are they only "life" if they are living off a woman's body, chosen or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 02:31 PM

4,037 posts, read 7,858,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
To put it fairly (if not a bit coldly), the fetus/baby has a parasitic relationship to the woman's body until it can live outside the body- usually set at a minimum of say, 24 weeks. She is not just "carrying" it- it is living off her. I am firmly pro-choice and as for taxpayers not paying for abortion, well, last time I looked, I'm quite a taxpayer, and my taxes go for all sorts of things that I don't approve of, find immoral/wasteful/stupid/counter to my beliefs. We don't get to pick and choose which taxes go where, but for some reason, people seem to think abortion should be different.
I personally am appalled that my tax money funded the Iraq adventure. But nowhere did I see a checkoff system for my taxes that allowed me to dictate which dollars supported which activities.

I trust those who think their taxpayer dollars shouldn't go to abortion are fervent supporters of birth control? I have always thought that a great deal of anti-abortion emotion, at its base, is rage that women can "play but not pay." Otherwise, why not advocate birth control?
Something like half of abortions go to married women. Should women not advocate using birth control because they happen to be married?
Why aren't anti-abortion people being at all concerned about the hundreds of thousands of frozen embryos that are on ice/destroyed/forgotten? Are they only "life" if they are living off a woman's body, chosen or not?
Yeah that's extremely cold, while a valid point on an aesthetic level that's pretty darn cruel to call a child a parasite but they "live off the mother" after they're born too. Well they don't have to live off the mother but they can't go out and get jobs so they have to live off someone.

I'm anti-abortion but also very very very pro birth control. Shucks let's get Chinese and force some of these serial mothers to get their tubes tied. Okay okay that's extreme and it will be a cold dark day in this country if that were to happen. But I think that's part of why this is such a hot topic because so many are anti-birth control but also anti-abortion I'm not one of those people by the way.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 PM

"Parasitic" is a biologic technical term, meaning the fetus will die without using the mother for life support. This is not true of a born child.
I don't think it's "extremely cold." It's a biologic fact.
And yep, if my mother got an abortion, I wouldn't be here. Is that really such a big deal? She wouldn't know it was *me*.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:18 PM

15,643 posts, read 14,702,613 times
Pro Choice.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:42 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,705,357 times
I'm definitely pro-choice, but I hope people being responsible and using reliable birth control prevents them from being an alternative.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:44 PM

8,516 posts, read 3,815,502 times
Pro choice, but do not see the purpose for partial birth abortion as a procedure.

It BUGS me that some of the pro life people want to prevent a woman who has been raped from getting an abortion or even the morning after pill. One day on a talk show, I heard a man say he knew of a case where a woman had been raped, and had kept the child, and "it worked out good for her." Well, bully for her, but the vast majority of rape victims would not make that decision, and they need to have ALL options available.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:43 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,339,080 times
Default I am

PRO CHOICE. I believe in the woman's right to do with what is best for her, regardless of what other groups feel. It is her life..............

Let me tell you what I would like to see these groups that stalk doctor's offices, and throw bombs through the windows: There are sooooooo many children in many South American countries , that are thrown into the streets as young as age 3, to fend for themselves. .........

I believe each member of these groups should try to adopt one of these children, and give them a home, rather than wasting their time and money getting nowhere. OR....

I would like each one of them to become POOR, and live in a ghetto, without electricity, water, or food for two months, with 5 children, and then become pregnant, again, with no choices, because a selected few want to control her existence.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:47 PM

155 posts, read 238,160 times
I don't condemn people to hell if they get it but..........I could not do it
It would haunt me for the rest of my life

Old 11-21-2009, 06:49 PM

3,408 posts, read 3,462,628 times
I don't agree with abortion under any circumstances, but, I am also not going to condem the person that disagrees with me.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:59 AM

No one is getting the so-called partial birth abortion because she wants to fit into her prom dress.
The third trimester, under Roe v. Wade, is not "abortion on demand." When Dr. Tiller was murdered recently (supposedly because he did third-trimester abortions) some of the cases listed were hideous difficult, for the lives of the women involved, or the ghastly defects in the fetuses.
I think the propaganda about third-trimester abortion has been very histrionic, not at all medical, and quite uniformed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates