U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:36 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,178,235 times
Pro life when abortion is an elective procedure. Do not support any taxpayer or insurance funding of any elective procedure, pay for it on your own dime.

I have no issue with taxpayer funding abortions when there is a greater issue (life of mother, rape, incest).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 02:40 AM

170 posts, read 208,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
"Parasitic" is a biologic technical term, meaning the fetus will die without using the mother for life support. This is not true of a born child.
I don't think it's "extremely cold." It's a biologic fact.
And yep, if my mother got an abortion, I wouldn't be here. Is that really such a big deal? She wouldn't know it was *me*.
The parasitic term you refer to is used in cases of two DIFFERENT species. So unless you consider the "fetus" a different species, then it isn't a parasite. It is actually an inherent part of the developmental cycle of the human species.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:40 AM

252 posts, read 369,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
"Parasitic" is a biologic technical term, meaning the fetus will die without using the mother for life support. This is not true of a born child.
I don't think it's "extremely cold." It's a biologic fact.
And yep, if my mother got an abortion, I wouldn't be here. Is that really such a big deal? She wouldn't know it was *me*.
You're one of very very few people that have stated two of the arguments that I use when talking about considering an abortion.

I never have had one, but I'm very pro-choice. I am pro-contraception and when sexually active, am very responsible with it. I do NOT want to have a child any time in the near future, for many personal reasons. If I choose to have a child, I will control when that will be unless my body decides to become barren. I promote that everyone be as responsible with their sexuality as I am, but when worse comes to worse, I fully advocate abortion as a last resort. The "your mother didn't have an abortion" argument doesn't work on me because my mother is an advocate too.

I consider a fetus in its most reliant stages to be a parasite if it is unwanted. It feeds off of the mother and forcefully changes her biology. In worse cases, it can threaten her life. No woman should be forced to carry a child against her will or else she is merely a vessel with no choice of her own state of health.

The argument that aborting a 3 week old fetus is like killing a 5 year old is ridiculous to me. Humans are given rights as they reach stages in their lives. You don't let a 3 year old vote. You don't let your 9 year old go off to war. You don't let two 6 year olds get legally married. Why? because there is agreed on ages for when humans receive more rights via their government. a child that is able to live on its own bodily functions has more rights than a half-formed chunk of cells that is feeding off of my body. that's why Roe vs Wade came around. to lay down what was considered to be reasonable rules for what was a legally removable cluster of living tissue and what was a human able to live of its own free will. One is murder and one is me choosing how to care for my own body. If the united states made abortion illegal, I would overpay some back-alley doctor or go to the DIY methods before being forced to have a child. That's what pre-Roe vs Wade women did and that's exactly what it'd resort back to. Banning abortion doesn't stop women from having them, it just makes it a lot more dangerous and forces the beliefs of some onto others. Allowing it to be legal simply makes it safer for the women who have to make such an ugly decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates