Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 01:17 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,673,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Medical advances are going to continue to push the age back. Would you concede that once the age is pushed back, the limit for an abortion should also be moved earlier accordingly?
Sure, if we ever get to a point where a 6-week embryo can be sucked out of a uterus and raised in a Petri dish, I see nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 01:19 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,415,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
If a woman feels like going through the intensive procedure of aborting a non-viable fetus because she feels like not having a major infection that can result in organ failure, that is her prerogative. As long as you view women as flippant, lascivious and unthinking creatures who go under the knife left and right for the hell of it, please don't talk to me about how the fetus has thoughts and feelings that should be respected above all else.
I meant if the fetus WAS viable.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Sure, if we ever get to a point where a 6-week embryo can be sucked out of a uterus and raised in a Petri dish, I see nothing wrong with that.
This is interesting.. The End of Pregnancy

Old 03-21-2009, 01:28 PM

And, for those of you who think that women are always making rational decisions regarding abortions, look at this... Women's Suicide Rates Highest After Abortion, New Study

My views are not about taking away a woman's right to have an abortion in the first trimester or when their life is at risk if the pregnancy continues. They ARE about ensuring that women are making INFORMED decisions. They ARE also about protecting kids that are viable and/or those who can think and feel. Period.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Sick just sick, makes me wonder if some people even have a conscience, tell me, why would someone even end up having a fetus grow in them if they didn't want to be a mom? Epitome of total pure selfishness and carelessness what you describe there.

If such mindless people are going to f*** about carelessly they are probably too irresponsible to even be capable of making the decision of what clothes to wear or how to do their fricken hair style.
Good post.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:53 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,619,363 times
Default Statistics

Quote:
1. A child deserves more protection than an adult.

2. If the baby has no chance of surviving, that's a different situation IMO.

3. As long as the abortion is done before the end of the first trimester, I have less of a problem with it.
The majority of abortions done in the 2nd trimester are wanted pregnancies, to married couples, but are done for severe abnormalities, which will not show up until then.

Did you know that?

Last edited by TANaples; 03-21-2009 at 05:08 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 04:59 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,861,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Sick just sick, makes me wonder if some people even have a conscience, tell me, why would someone even end up having a fetus grow in them if they didn't want to be a mom? Epitome of total pure selfishness and carelessness what you describe there.

If such mindless people are going to f*** about carelessly they are probably too irresponsible to even be capable of making the decision of what clothes to wear or how to do their fricken hair style.
Girls can end up becoming pregnant with birth control, and other protection and it can and does happen. No protection is 100% and maybe they dont want a child. Nothing wrong with that everyone has their own opinion.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:02 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,673,223 times
Quote:
I meant if the fetus WAS viable.
In arguing that women flippantly choose to have late-term abortions, you also forget that the overwhelming majority of women cannot afford them. Late-term elective abortions are not covered by insurance (or, indeed, Medicaid). To pay out of pocket, hospital stays alone run about $1,500 per day. Add to that the cost of the surgeon's services, which, given that this is a major surgery, is going to be at least $10K. Add the anesthesiologist's charge (about $2,500). Add all the blood work and other lab services (let's put it at $1K). Add follow-up care (about $800). Yeah, sure, that describes most young women: the ability to take 3+ days off work or school just for the hell of it, and shell out around $25K, again, for the hell of it. [/end sarcasm]

Old 03-21-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Girls can end up becoming pregnant with birth control, and other protection and it can and does happen. No protection is 100% and maybe they dont want a child. Nothing wrong with that everyone has their own opinion.
I beg to differ with you there. There is something that's 100%. It's called not having sex!

Old 03-21-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The majority of abortions done in the 2nd trimester are wanted pregnancies, to married couples, but are done for for severe abnormalities, which will not show up until then.

Did you know that?
As far as the severe abnormalities, I can't decide whether abortion should be allowed then or not. That's an extremely difficult thing for me to decide.

However, by the 2nd trimester, if it's only because she doesn't WANT to have the child, it should NOT be permitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates