Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 11:37 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
War is necessary in some circumstances. The death penalty is not. Abortion may be in some cases, but it needs to be used only in cases of necessity.
My own view on war is that it should never be used unless there is no other choice left. The death penalty is not really a necessary thing. The death penalty won't bring back the dead and the places that have executed the most people still have the highest crime rates in the USA. I'm not saying the death penalty causes crime because it doesn't. I am saying that it won't deter crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 01:52 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
My own view on war is that it should never be used unless there is no other choice left. The death penalty is not really a necessary thing. The death penalty won't bring back the dead and the places that have executed the most people still have the highest crime rates in the USA. I'm not saying the death penalty causes crime because it doesn't. I am saying that it won't deter crime.
Yes....if you'll read my post I stated I am also against the death penalty. It doesn't work.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:15 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,413,880 times
The only reason I could see the death penalty being viable is if it was to save money instead of supporting the individual till they die naturally. Maybe just give people the choice between death penalty and a life sentence with no chance for parole. But the issues between abortion and the death penalty are completely different.

The absolute fact is that abortions are going to be had whether they are legal or not, I think it would be irresponsible for the government to not try to regulate the procedures.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
The only reason I could see the death penalty being viable is if it was to save money instead of supporting the individual till they die naturally. Maybe just give people the choice between death penalty and a life sentence with no chance for parole. But the issues between abortion and the death penalty are completely different.

The absolute fact is that abortions are going to be had whether they are legal or not, I think it would be irresponsible for the government to not try to regulate the procedures.
The death penalty actually ends up costing more money due to the endless appeals and multiple attorneys being provided, etc.

As far as abortion, I can't agree.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,413,880 times
Quote:
The death penalty actually ends up costing more money due to the endless appeals and multiple attorneys being provided, etc.
Yeah I read that somewhere also, but in some cases like when they confess there is actually a cost saving. But really that doesn't justify it completely. But thats for another thread.
Quote:
As far as abortion, I can't agree.
Why not? if abortions are going to happen anyways, why wouldn't the government try to step in and try to regulate it?

Old 04-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Why not? if abortions are going to happen anyways, why wouldn't the government try to step in and try to regulate it?
To some of us, abortion is murder. Murders of those of us who have been born are going to happen anyway so ask yourself whether you would be willing to allow the government to legalize and regulate them as well.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:28 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,115 times
Quote:
To some of us, abortion is murder. Murders of those of us who have been born are going to happen anyway so ask yourself whether you would be willing to allow the government to legalize and regulate them as well.
In some cases, yes, murder should be legalized across the board. As in the case of suicide (on the books as a type of murder and fully prosecutable by law) I think it should the attempt should be legalized.

I (and other's like myself) don't define abortion as murder and that is the main difference between pro-lifers and pro-choice. The life of the mother trumps the life of the fetus and that's just personal opinion. The question is, legally speaking, do you wish for abortion to be outlawed? My answer would be no. Give the women the right to choose what to do with her body.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
In some cases, yes, murder should be legalized across the board. As in the case of suicide (on the books as a type of murder and fully prosecutable by law) I think it should the attempt should be legalized.
To the best of my knowledge, attempted suicide laws have been taken off the books in most US states.

Just curious...how do you feel about laws against assisting someone else in committing suicide?

Quote:
I (and other's like myself) don't define abortion as murder and that is the main difference between pro-lifers and pro-choice. The life of the mother trumps the life of the fetus and that's just personal opinion. The question is, legally speaking, do you wish for abortion to be outlawed? My answer would be no. Give the women the right to choose what to do with her body.
My answer is yes with some exceptions. My response to "her body" is that the unborn child is a body as well. I view the lives as equal, which is why I'm willing to allow abortion in the case of rape (in all other cases, she DID have a choice and knew that pregnancy could result so the fetus is hardly in her uterus against her will). I'm also willing to allow in the case of medical necessity. To me, this balances the rights of the two lives.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,115 times
Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, attempted suicide laws have been taken off the books in most US states.

Just curious...how do you feel about laws against assisting someone else in committing suicide?
I think the attempt is still illegal in most states (you can't make suicide illegal. Can't prosecute if their dead!). I'll look it up and get back to you on that.

About the laws: I think they should be taken off the books in their entirety. If someone does not want to live, why try to stop them? If they are living in constant pain (whether it be physical, emotional, psychological, etc.), I think they have the right to do as they see fit on whether to end their life or not. Now, this does not mean I encourage people to commit suicide or anything, but, legally speaking, why try to stop them? It is their body and they should have the right to do with it as they see fit.

Quote:
My answer is yes with some exceptions. My response to "her body" is that the unborn child is a body as well. I view the lives as equal, which is why I'm willing to allow abortion in the case of rape (in all other cases, she DID have a choice and knew that pregnancy could result so the fetus is hardly in her uterus against her will). I'm also willing to allow in the case of medical necessity. To me, this balances the rights of the two lives.
IMO, the right of a fully developed human being trumps the right of a developing fetus. You know this, I know this, hell, this whole board knows this; no need to debate it any further. Another question to you: what do you consider medically necessary? If worst came to worst, I would rather have a skilled physician (or a team of physicians) telling us what 'medically necessary' means and what it entails rather than politicians and uneducated peoples (in that field) deciding what it is.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I think the attempt is still illegal in most states (you can't make suicide illegal. Can't prosecute if their dead!). I'll look it up and get back to you on that.
It may be possible to have them temporarily committed to a psych hospital (and possibly committed long-term in SOME cases), but it's not an actual crime in my state. As far as other states, I don't know.,

Quote:
About the laws: I think they should be taken off the books in their entirety. If someone does not want to live, why try to stop them? If they are living in constant pain (whether it be physical, emotional, psychological, etc.), I think they have the right to do as they see fit on whether to end their life or not. Now, this does not mean I encourage people to commit suicide or anything, but, legally speaking, why try to stop them? It is their body and they should have the right to do with it as they see fit.
This is ludicrous. People who commit suicide are often times not capable of consent. They are temporarily "insane" if you will. Something like 90% (or more) of people who attempt suicide and live through it are HAPPY later that their attempt was not successful.

If we're talking about people who have terminal illnesses, I can sympathize with this view. But if you're talking about someone who is depressed or who has experienced some type of crisis (other than personally having a terminal illness), this idea is insane....no offense.

Quote:
IMO, the right of a fully developed human being trumps the right of a developing fetus. You know this, I know this, hell, this whole board knows this; no need to debate it any further. Another question to you: what do you consider medically necessary? If worst came to worst, I would rather have a skilled physician (or a team of physicians) telling us what 'medically necessary' means and what it entails rather than politicians and uneducated peoples (in that field) deciding what it is.
If "you know this" means that's your opinion, fine. If it means that the adult's rights trump the child's and that is an absolute fact, you need to realize that it is actually only your opinion.

Decisions regarding medical necessity should be made by a minimum of two physicians using criteria determined by a state medical board.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-01-2009 at 09:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates