Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 07:16 AM

530 posts, read 649,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparmentier View Post
I am a pastor's wife here in the metroplex, and as a Christian I firmly believe that life begins at conception. My personal choice (keyword here personal) is I would not choose to have an abortion...that being said, abortion is a legal medical procedure, and like many other legal medical procedures, it is a personal choice....I have a VERY close friend who was faced with an unplanned pregnancy (yes, the sex was consentual and I pointed out to her that she knew sex leads to babies) but she was in no position to have a child and did not feel she was emotionally healthy enough to carry the child and offer it for adoption. I supported her through the process and afterward. She has since gotten counseling for her grief over terminating the pregnancy and is doing very well now.
I am a mother of 3 beautiful, healthy children and I treasure them, but I am also not foolish enough to think everyone sees my views on children. I feel that as a Christian I am to love and support those who see no other way and turn to abortion...no matter the circumstances...I cannot judge them.
Our church even has a ministry for women who chose abortion and are healing from that...it is amazing to see these women heal and evolve.

Sorry for writing a book here, I just wanted to let you know that not all Christians are extremists who picket abortion clinics and yell and show gruesome pictures to those women facing one of the hardest days of their lives.
Thanks for letting me share.

Blessings to all!
And even as a non believer, i can say blessing be to you for your truely christian attitude. If more people were loving and non judgemental like you, the world would be a much better place. Also for those friends of your who are christians and against abortion this is the logic i use....If you believe in God and the bible, then you must also believe that these unborn are now in heaven with Jesus and not suffering from neglect, abuse or unlove here on earth. If this doesn't make a christian think twice about their stance, then it's not a religious one!
Thank you for your kindness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 AM

5 posts, read 9,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
You're right..they are not. I know this because I am one. I'm a Christian..I love God..I pray often..I try to be a good person. I have had a bond with God from a very young age. I said the same thing that you did " I will never have an abortion myself"...and BAM...there I was in the most RANDOM situation with the most awful issue regarding my pregnancy.
I am so glad that you were never faced with that situation. We can never really say never.

I wish your church was closer to me (NYC). I also believe that life begins at conception. Yes, I did have an abortion..but I'm not going to deny that I believe that. So I feel I have had a much harder time with healing. It would be nice to have places like your church closer to us in the city. An abortion is probably the most horrific experience some of us women go thru.
I am sorry for your pain, I cannot imagine. As much as I would like to say "never" I know I can't.
I know of one woman who unfortunately had to terminated a very planned pregnancy, and it was fairly well into it. The baby was leaking spinal fluid and it was poisoning the mother, and she was going to die.
Again, I cannot judge anyone, I can only be accountable for myself, but I do pray that you will find peace and comfort again. Just remember that nothing we do or say will change how much God loves us!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:41 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Whats your stance on abortion??

Sideways, I am opposed to abortion except in the cases of dire health risks to the mother, but I am very much opposed to any law that would prohibit a woman from making her own decision.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:35 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,087 times
Hey Peeps, I thought I would ask this question of those that are in favor of abortion.

Since it is a womans right to have an abortion and do with her body what she pleases. Why are men then forced to pay child support when the woman decides to keep the child?

Would it be fair to say that men can at any point before the birth of the child say that they want nothing to do with it and not have to pay child support? Why should they have to if they didnt want the child?

Old 06-10-2009, 12:57 PM

341 posts, read 452,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparmentier View Post
. Just remember that nothing we do or say will change how much God loves us!

Thank You so much. This is something I have struggled with DEEPLY since my ab. It just wasn't a fun decision and weighed on me heavily because I knew how I felt about my pregnancy. I am still with the ab. father and it wasn't a bad situation per se...since we were both old enough, making enough money, healthy enough, and very much in love. That's what tore us up the most..we were SO willing to do this and even though it was super unplanned, we thought of our pregnancy as a baby. That's what made it hurt the most. I was 4 weeks along when I found out and made to wait until I was 6 weeks...it was AGONIZING.

I try very hard to remember that God loves everyone regardless. I guess it's just one of those things as a woman....we are hard on ourselves and our own worst enemy at times.

*Hugs to you... *

Old 06-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Hey Peeps, I thought I would ask this question of those that are in favor of abortion.

Since it is a womans right to have an abortion and do with her body what she pleases. Why are men then forced to pay child support when the woman decides to keep the child?

Would it be fair to say that men can at any point before the birth of the child say that they want nothing to do with it and not have to pay child support? Why should they have to if they didnt want the child?
First off. No one is in "favor" of abortion. We merely know that it is an option for dire situations, but hope to never have to be in that situation.

Secondly...stop making it sound like all of us have this attitude about " Oh it's a womans body so I can just trash my baby, etc". The tone of your paragraph is very ignorant...No offense.

Now, about your question. I KNOW it is NOT fair. It really isn't. But life isn't fair. I agree that it sucks that a man can't have an active say down to the final straw.

However..just like a man can't do much about that...women also can't do much when a man knocks them up and leaves...(they are still pregnant)...they also can't do much when people judge them for their sexual conduct (etc.)...but a man can get away with it. So it works like that on both sides and there is no "right" answer except that it's just not fair either way.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:16 PM

295 posts, read 667,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I beg to differ with you there. There is something that's 100%. It's called not having sex!
Okay, this is the part of the pro-life argument that I don't understand in any way. It is natural to have sex. It is natural to WANT to have sex. Whether that's in marriage or out of marriage is not the question.

And this "Just DON'T Do It" argument seems extremely sexist to me and biased. Because the physical responsibility of pregnancy weighs 100% on the woman, men can bypass this restriction so much easier than women can. So, women shouldn't be allowed to enjoy sex? Our bodies are meant to be used as a vessel for babies alone? Come on...really?

Last edited by gaelgirl; 06-10-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 01:36 PM

857 posts, read 1,422,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
Okay, this is the part of the pro-life argument that I don't understand in any way. It is natural to have sex. It is natural to WANT to have sex. Whether that's in marriage or out of marriage is not the question.

Our bodies are meant to be used as a vessel for babies alone? Come on...really?
If god wanted us having sex all the time he would have given us hormones that drove up our sex drive and he would have made it pleasurable to both the male and female, thank god thats not the truth. Didn't you know sex was icky and evil??? I guess you must have missed the memo...

Old 06-10-2009, 01:41 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,454,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post

And this "Just DON'T Do It" argument seems extremely sexist to me and biased. Because the physical responsibility of pregnancy weighs 100% on the woman, men can bypass this restriction so much easier than women can. So, women shouldn't be allowed to enjoy sex? Our bodies are meant to be used as a vessel for babies alone? Come on...really?
It is absolutely natural to have sex. My point was that it is an option - albeit not a pleasurable one - that is 100% effective.

There are many other ways that make the chance of not becoming pregnant 99.9999%, especially when two or more of those "ways" are used.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
If god wanted us having sex all the time he would have given us hormones that drove up our sex drive and he would have made it pleasurable to both the male and female, thank god thats not the truth. Didn't you know sex was icky and evil??? I guess you must have missed the memo...
LOL @ icky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates