Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 02:47 PM

530 posts, read 649,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Hey Peeps, I thought I would ask this question of those that are in favor of abortion.

Since it is a womans right to have an abortion and do with her body what she pleases. Why are men then forced to pay child support when the woman decides to keep the child?

Would it be fair to say that men can at any point before the birth of the child say that they want nothing to do with it and not have to pay child support? Why should they have to if they didnt want the child?
Well actually after the child is born, it becomes the childs right to be supported, not the mothers. But i'm glad you came back to talk to us again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 04:03 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
Well actually after the child is born, it becomes the childs right to be supported, not the mothers. But i'm glad you came back to talk to us again!
Yes, but now I am not opposed to abortion, it is the womans right to have the procedure done if she so pleases. But this is allowing some women from the role one must take from our actions and taking responsibilities for those actions. You all say that a woman should not be forced to do this. Yet a man should be forced to do this? I know alot of men that pay child support and have no right to see their kids becasue the mother deemed them irresponsible. If the man must pay then he has the right to see his kids.

One cannot allow females only the ability to be free from their actions. One member on here stated that when a man has sexual intercourse he is excepting the responsibilities that could result from that union. We shouldnt a woman have to do the same?

After all it is the womans body, but it is the mans sperm is it not? Since a man cannot make a woman get an abortion he should have the option to opt out of the birth and all responsabilities. But a woman can choose to have an abortion with out the consent of the man and she can also carry the child to term without the mans concent. So I ask you where do the mans rights stop, where does his say stop?

Old 06-10-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, but now I am not opposed to abortion, it is the womans right to have the procedure done if she so pleases. But this is allowing some women from the role one must take from our actions and taking responsibilities for those actions. You all say that a woman should not be forced to do this. Yet a man should be forced to do this? I know alot of men that pay child support and have no right to see their kids becasue the mother deemed them irresponsible. If the man must pay then he has the right to see his kids.

One cannot allow females only the ability to be free from their actions. One member on here stated that when a man has sexual intercourse he is excepting the responsibilities that could result from that union. We shouldnt a woman have to do the same?

After all it is the womans body, but it is the mans sperm is it not? Since a man cannot make a woman get an abortion he should have the option to opt out of the birth and all responsabilities. But a woman can choose to have an abortion with out the consent of the man and she can also carry the child to term without the mans concent. So I ask you where do the mans rights stop, where does his say stop?
Actually a man does have the right as deemed by the courts to have custody of his child. He can force a woman to allow him to be part of this childs life. He can also take her to court and appeal to recieve rights and custody of this child. After the child is born, "what's in the best interest of the child" is the general ruling of the court. I wish all men(and women) wanted to accept responsiblities for the children they put here on earth, but you can't force someone to be a parent, only to support the child that they consetually made. A man's right stops at denying a woman her rights.
Isn't the point to do what's in the best interest of the child? So, it would stand to reason that a man who wanted to do this would fight for his parental rights!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,479 times
Quote:
Hey Peeps, I thought I would ask this question of those that are in favor of abortion.

Since it is a womans right to have an abortion and do with her body what she pleases. Why are men then forced to pay child support when the woman decides to keep the child?
Because somebody has to actually raise that child. A check don't raise a child. Money is no substitute for a parent.

Would it be fair to say that men can at any point before the birth of the child say that they want nothing to do with it and not have to pay child support? No. Why should they have to if they didnt want the child?
Well they obviously did not take the necessary precautions to prevent it. That's called Responsibility. If you're really that opposed to unwanted pregnancy, wrap it up.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:22 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,479 times
Quote:
Yes, but now I am not opposed to abortion, it is the womans right to have the procedure done if she so pleases. But this is allowing some women from the role one must take from our actions and taking responsibilities for those actions. No, because if she has it, she'll be the one to actually take care of it everyday. You'll be the one who never sends the check on time. The other option is to have the abortion. Are you suggesting that she NOT have it, because that way she won't have to face the responsibility of unprotected sex? But YOU would because you plan on bailing and all you're worried about is how much it's going to cost you? Seems like a no-win situation you've laid out here. If she has it, you didn't want it and you'll have to pay monthly, and if she doesn't, well she took the easy way out. What other option is there? You all say that a woman should not be forced to do this. Yet a man should be forced to do this? I know alot of men that pay child support and have no right to see their kids becasue the mother deemed them irresponsible. If the man must pay then he has the right to see his kids. The mother didn't, the courts had to. If he's doing all the things he's supposed to, the court will let him see the kid.

One cannot allow females only the ability to be free from their actions. One member on here stated that when a man has sexual intercourse he is excepting the responsibilities that could result from that union. We shouldnt a woman have to do the same? How is she not?

Once he has unprotected sex......I mean really, would you want her to have the baby? Or not? Take some responsibility yourself.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Well they obviously did not take the necessary precautions to prevent it. That's called Responsibility. If you're really that opposed to unwanted pregnancy, wrap it up.
So the responsibility of a pregnancy falls on the man. He is the one who has to pay for it either way? If a man cannot get out of paying child support, if you dont know it is pretty hard to get out of it. The government sees it as the mans responsibility to take care of the child, after all he chose to have sex.

But so did the woman so to say that she can get an abortion becasue she feels like it is wrong. To say that only a man has to take responsability is wrong and if people want to allow women the choice to get abortions as they so choose then a man should be able to opt out of the life of the child before it is born. Sign a contract stating he gives up all rights and does not have to pay to support the child.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Once he has unprotected sex......I mean really, would you want her to have the baby? Or not? Take some responsibility yourself.

They both chose to have unprotected sex. But if I was to have unprotected sex and it resulted in a pregnancy then I would assume the responsabilities of my actions. I would care for the child and provide for it even if the woman did not. Since woman have a choice in the matter of pregnancy I am just say that a man should as well. If he does not want the baby and the woman does then yes she should have to take care of it without him.

I do not think that anyone should be free from a choice they made and it resulted in a pregnancy. They both did it, now they both need to grow up and raise that child.

But if you want to allow women the freedom from consequence then a man should have that same option, but since a man cannot make a woman keep the baby or get an abortion there is only one other option. Assume the responsible role and raise the child or have no legal rights and not pay to support the child.

Or do we want to again blame the man alone for the pregnancy....after all its his sperm right? the woman did nothing but lay there. If you think this way you need help...

Old 06-10-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
They both chose to have unprotected sex. But if I was to have unprotected sex and it resulted in a pregnancy then I would assume the responsabilities of my actions. I would care for the child and provide for it even if the woman did not. Since woman have a choice in the matter of pregnancy I am just say that a man should as well. If he does not want the baby and the woman does then yes she should have to take care of it without him.

I do not think that anyone should be free from a choice they made and it resulted in a pregnancy. They both did it, now they both need to grow up and raise that child.

But if you want to allow women the freedom from consequence then a man should have that same option, but since a man cannot make a woman keep the baby or get an abortion there is only one other option. Assume the responsible role and raise the child or have no legal rights and not pay to support the child.

Or do we want to again blame the man alone for the pregnancy....after all its his sperm right? the woman did nothing but lay there. If you think this way you need help...
Once again your missing the point. The courts give child support for for the child not the woman the child is here and someone needs to support it. I think that this opinion doesn't really belong on the abortion thread, maybe you should start another thread about it.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:13 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I have a problem with the "it's my body argument." The fetus is another body, not the woman. The fetus is an independent human entity living inside the woman. I have no problem if a woman wants to cut off her arm or her leg, or any other body part. But terminating a fetus is a premeditated ending of another human life.

The fetus may not be able to live on its own - which makes it a dependent creature. But it is unfathomable to me that the fetus is viewed as something the woman has a right to kill.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:21 PM

199 posts, read 652,802 times
To each his own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates