Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:11 PM

857 posts, read 1,416,916 times

Advertisements

I have to assume this has been done before but I want to hear peoples stance on one of the most controversial debates of our time. Please post your stance first before u start arguing against other peoples stance.

and as always, there is no reason we cannot be civil about this so dont go postal on anyone for stating their beliefs .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 12:15 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,740,150 times
I am firmly pro-choice.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 PM

857 posts, read 1,416,916 times
I see absolutely nothing wrong with abortion. if a woman doesnt want to have a child then she shouldnt be forced to. and i know u can say abstinence and contraceptives but lets face it, were sexual beings and nothing is full proof. y should we force unwanted children into this world? so they can be given to adoption and become a burden on society, no thanks. I would rather a women be able to get an abortion and be able to live her life the way she wants. The world is over-populated as it is, y force more people onto it?

And as a bonus there are stem cells which we still dont know all the potential these cells have (mainly b/c or americas moral qualms about abortion). and so all the research and great minds are forced to leave america and do research in places like the philapeans and other south-eastern asian countries. were not stopping them, and im pretty sure if they find a use that cures a disease that u have, ur going to take that cure.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,473,921 times
I'd rather there not be abortions, but I don't believe making abortion illegal will eliminate them. Therefore, I'd say I'm pro-choice with restrictions:

1. No abortions beyond the first trimester. Exceptions could be there in case the mother's life is at risk, but this would need to be strictly defined.
2. Parental consent. You wouldn't allow my 15-year-old daughter to have her tonsils removed or her breasts augmented without my consent. She shouldn't have an abortion without mine either. (This is just an illustrative example. I don't have a 15-year-old daughter)

Old 02-20-2009, 12:28 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,473,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
I see absolutely nothing wrong with abortion. if a woman doesnt want to have a child then she shouldnt be forced to. and i know u can say abstinence and contraceptives but lets face it, were sexual beings and nothing is full proof. y should we force unwanted children into this world? so they can be given to adoption and become a burden on society, no thanks. I would rather a women be able to get an abortion and be able to live her life the way she wants. The world is over-populated as it is, y force more people onto it?

And as a bonus there are stem cells which we still dont know all the potential these cells have (mainly b/c or americas moral qualms about abortion). and so all the research and great minds are forced to leave america and do research in places like the philapeans and other south-eastern asian countries. were not stopping them, and im pretty sure if they find a use that cures a disease that u have, ur going to take that cure.
1. If a child is adopted to a loving family who supports him/her, I don't see that as a burden on society.
2. Yes, she should be able to "live her life the way she wants," but there are consequences for that, too.
3. The world, in the aggregate, is NOT overpopulated. That is a lie. There may be pockets which are overpopulated, but overall the world is not. The U.S., for example, still has a ton of habitable space.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,353,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
...1. No abortions beyond the first trimester. ... 2. Parental consent.
My "pro-choice" is that I am "pro-life". I think there's no difference in stopping a 3-week old unborn's life or a 2 year-old's. Both are a heck of an inconvience, but both are alive. However, since abortion is legal (Roe v. Wade 1973) I will accept it. It's just not for me. Glad my Mother felt the same way.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:52 PM

529 posts, read 1,297,031 times
I don't support abortions, but above all I believe women have the right to choose. Hence I'm pro-choice.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:57 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,654,778 times
I believe a sane person should have the right to do as they wish with their own bodies. I also support those that are against abortion in the sense that many abortions are funded through government money that comes from taxes that we all pay. I firmly believe that if a person's tax dollar is used to fund anything then that person has the right say how that money should be spent or not spent.

We now live in a hedonistic society that places pleasure before human life. How is it that any female can get pregnant with all the birth control that is available today? (With the exception of rape or incest). I think the current stimulus package contains an allotment of $400 million for contraceptives. I think this is a sad state when the government, (our tax dollars), must fund a group of morons that don't have the good sense to put a condom on. However, we now live in a society that does not have the morals or ethics of a band of monkeys and unless we want even more of these irresponsible individuals then the tax payers must continue to pay the extortion of abortion.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:59 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,736,232 times
While I don't take quite the sentement that ulnevrwalkalne does - I think every coulple should have a choice. Yes people make mistakes, but there is a big difference in mistakes and using abortion as a contreceptive.

I have 2 boys and could never imagine life with out them, but that isn't for everyone. I do think though that it takes 2 people to make the baby, so it should take both to make the decision to have or not have the baby. Yes, I know the woman is the one who carries the baby, but that is what we are genetically designed to do. A man has no choice in this matter. I just don't think that I could look at a man that wanted the baby and was willing to take care of him/her and say "sorry, too bad". Just me though. As I said everyone has their own view and their right to it. What works for me may not work for you.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,736,232 times
kind of speaks to welfare - why don't they have to get drug tests for their checks and food stamps?? I had to take a drug test for my job that funds the welfare system. Makes you think huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates