U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM

60 posts, read 71,236 times

Advertisements

ya jtur indeed. speaking from experience no doubt. well. im done. i cant take arguments from arrogant fools nor give a crap about them and their believed to be true so called intelligent facts. it's too bad u only know if ur truly right when u die and there's no one to say.. "i told u so. I WIN, *******."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 11:41 AM

38,764 posts, read 39,513,404 times
Iamhgp, I think I owe you an apology. I usually try to be more tolerant of newbies here, but your first post seemed particularly out of whack. So I went and read your other posts, and I see where you are coming from. Your posts on other forums shows that you are near suicidal, and you're experiencing very heavy doubts about your relationship with the world and your maker.

This is not a good forum in which to approach highly personal issues, and that is why so many of us came down on you. Your reaction indicates that maybe you need to re-explore the way you relate to other people, and try to be more tolerant of the feelings and the views of others.

Your post in the Religion forum brought a lot of Jesus Nuts out of the woodwork, who are trying to drag you down to their level, and some of them might have succeeded. You are from Asia and your immigration to the America has not worked out very well for you. It is not unusual for people to become conflicted by two cultures. I suspect that much of your personal problems might stem from your attitude about personal relationships. One way you can start to work on that is to be more tolerant of other people's opinions and faiths. From the way you presented your opening view and the way you tried to defend it against argument, many people might have a hard time wanting to be your friend.

Right now, you are full of hate, and it shows. Please read this . . . . .

http://www.fleurdelis.com/desiderata.htm

Last edited by jtur88; 07-21-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-21-2009, 02:52 PM

24,882 posts, read 11,470,756 times
I've often said that God, whatever he/she/it is, has a plan. Whatever that plan is, we are to small to even begin to comprehend what that plan is, or how he plans to put it into effect.

Can't we have both creationism and evolution? Maybe God evolved us from apes? Maybe he didn't, I wasn't there, so I'm not sure.

People who completely dismiss evolution should really take a nice long look at the evidence. The Earth is over 4 billion years old, The universe is much larger.

However, scientists can't explain the big bang. There was simply nothing, and then something.

So, as usual, the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. The all powerful thing that we call God has no concept of good and evil, just as it would have no concept of time. We can't begin to comprehend what its plans are. I see "God" in everything I gaze upon. Its in the tree in front of me, its in the ground under my feet, its in the sky above, and its in my DNA.

Why do most people believe in a power greater than themselves? Could it be because we all, instinctivly know that there is something bigger than us? Or is it simply because we need to rationlize the bad things that happen to us on a daily basis.

Please don't trivialize other peoples answers, as in the end, you both may be very....

right.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:10 PM

OK, God can do anything. If God can smite us, and cause us pain and suffereing, and unleash hordes of locusts, and wipe out entire civilizations, and inundate the earth under water, why can't he lie to us? Even just a fib here and there. Casting into doubt His word.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:51 PM

24,882 posts, read 11,470,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, God can do anything. If God can smite us, and cause us pain and suffereing, and unleash hordes of locusts, and wipe out entire civilizations, and inundate the earth under water, why can't he lie to us? Even just a fib here and there. Casting into doubt His word.
I always ask my die hard Christian freinds,

"Who wrote the bible?" They say, "God wrote it"

I then say, "So God penned the bible himself?" They say, "No, he told men what to write."

I then say, "Oh, so men wrote the Bible, and since men are flawed, then the bible must be seen as flawed."

The Bible was written by man, and inspired by "God", therefore, it must be a logical conclusion that it is wrong on some things.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,902,678 times
Quote:
Well, now we've got our actual proof. A Mel Gibson movie.
Yea, wow, that seals it, without a doubt, absolute proof, irrefutable evidence, just wow this can't be beat, criticized, or challenged, this is the ultimate proof........

..........that creationists are completely Loony Tunes

Now what day was it that their imaginary friend in the sky created all the fossils?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 AM

6,759 posts, read 5,707,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yea, wow, that seals it, without a doubt, absolute proof, irrefutable evidence, just wow this can't be beat, criticized, or challenged, this is the ultimate proof........

..........that creationists are completely Loony Tunes

Now what day was it that their imaginary friend in the sky created all the fossils?
Anyone who thinks they know what happens after death is looney tunes--mainly because they have no way of knowing any more than the next person. You may be dreaming right now. You have no way of knowing. The absolute worst thing is a closed mind.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Y

When He created "Heaven and Earth", the earth He created was already furnished with things like lava fields, to make it look like there had been volcanic eruptions before He made the Earth. Deltas to make it look like those rivers had already been there for a while. Trees with growth rings already in place, with the same concentric patterns in the cut cross-sections of all the trees in a forest, to make it look like growing seasons before creation had been variable from year to year. Deserts already in place at locations where He was not going to make it rain. With marine sedimentation in the desert, to make it look like they used to be underwater.

After playing all those tricks on us, He had a change of heart, and told nothing but the absolute truth to those who would write what were later alleged by the self-serving priesthood to be "The Word of God".... but neglected to mention all those tricks he had played.

How sad that there are so many of us who refuse to see this objective and well-documentd and irrefutable truth that Jesus is the deity..

Last edited by jtur88; 07-22-2009 at 07:18 AM..

Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 AM

3,651 posts, read 5,660,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Iamhgp can not write a 3rd grade sentence,
Apparently, neither can you. Enjoy your glass house and be on the lookout for stones. Stay classy.

FYI message boards like this are usually very informal and so often skirt around letter-perfect grammar.

Now let's all hold hands and pretend this has anything to do with the topic........ready?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Anyone who thinks they know what happens after death is looney tunes--mainly because they have no way of knowing any more than the next person. You may be dreaming right now. You have no way of knowing. The absolute worst thing is a closed mind.
Refreshing. Bravo. What gets me is that people usually (and fairly) associate such a mindset with Fundamentalists, but I've encountered many atheists with minds every bit as closed.

Quote:
How sad that there are so many of us who refuse to see this objective and well-documentd and irrefutable truth that Jesus is the deity..
How sad that there are so many who refuse to see that most Christians don't see God's existance and evolution as mutually exclusive.

Threads like this almost always have that car crash aspect - horrifically bad yet sometimes you can't help but look. The sameness of them just amazes me though.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 PM

60 posts, read 71,236 times
i said i will stop but since i've nothing better to do.. here goes:

i browsed the last pages and just wanna say, i've never been to church for years. i'm catholic and will die catholic. i find our "chores" tiring. im not proud of it. maybe the priest scandals turned me off but i know i dont go to church long before it. i dont feel at home in church and i find they pick same gospels every year like it is on sked. my point is, i guess my conviction is not due to what the church tells me since i dont go anymore. i dont think im a fundy too. i just defend what i BELIEVE is right. no church or priests to influence me. i defend GOD coz HE is worth it. sure i can search for the "truth" and study and earn a science degree. i know for sure i will still believe in God just like MANY scientists out there. regarding the moral transgressions. i guess jtur ur like me on that aspect. i know Jesus can absolve my mortal sins but knowing that fact still won't make me commit that sin. my conscience will kill me for sure. so i'd rather not. but more than that, i know i can't hide anything from God anyway so i just can't live with that guilt and that's why i have boring life. my only problem with evolution is the evolution of man. other evolutions, i can accept. for some reason, i dont believe dinosaur ever existed, actually. i know im gonna have brutal answers again but i dont care. that's my belief. no amount of insults or fossils can change that. so go ahead make your day. and for the nth time the passion of christ film is my PROOF THAT THERE ARE STILL A LOT OF CHRISTIANS IN THE WORLD! coz some1 said we are a minority now so i shoved that fact. funny though i didnt watch passion of christ in theaters but did watch all the jurassic park movies in theaters - but that was when i was still fooled that dinosaurs existed.

oh i dont think im suicidal, i just don't see the point of living but no im too coward to hurt myself so u can say im depressed.

so ya start the insults,(see if i care) 1,2,3....... go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates