Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:12 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I guess the meaning of the word most has clearly escaped you.
Yes, I suppose I disagree with the textbook definition that equates "most" with "majority." To me, "most" is a higher % that implies "almost all," generally. eg 51%, according to the textbook definition, is "most." That's not how I was considering it - but thanks for pointing out my error in such a classy way.

Quote:
Of that 40% (assuming it is anywhere near correct) include all branches of the armed forces, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force who play a very small part of the ground war. There was not a single draftee in the Navy during Nam. Officers, the NCO's probably E-5 and above weren't draftee's.
These statements have varying degrees of truth, but FYI the ground war wasn't the only part of the whole thing. (PS and FYI: "NCO's probably E-5 and above" is redundant. Also FYI I am an NCO).

Quote:
Did you have an 'ripe for picking' (1-A) Select Service draft card in your wallet when half of every graduating high school class got at "Greetings" letter in the mail? Did you loose friends and classmates from high school who were drafted and killed?
No. Do you have a point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
if you define "hippie" as one who beleives so strongly in the right of people to determine their own future without the interferrence of a government.
I don't, but appreciate the clarification.

I define "hippies" as self-righteous, naive, protest-for-the-sake-of-it "conservative/establishment=bad by definition" morons. And frankly they also tended to be lazy, dirty, and smelly. They did however tend to have good taste in music, Grateful Dead obsessions notwithstanding.

As for "interferrence of a government," a government's job by definition is interference.

Regardless, I salute your service to this country, no matter how you or others view it.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:58 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I don't, but appreciate the clarification.

I define "hippies" as self-righteous, naive, protest-for-the-sake-of-it "conservative/establishment=bad by definition" morons. And frankly they also tended to be lazy, dirty, and smelly. They did however tend to have good taste in music, Grateful Dead obsessions notwithstanding.

As for "interferrence of a government," a government's job by definition is interference.

Regardless, I salute your service to this country, no matter how you or others view it.
I view it positively. I view our country positively. I think we have problems. I think all governments have problems. I think we are very fortunate to be able to work on them without being chastized (murdered) for disagreeing.

Many hippies were dirty and smelly. Actually, to paraphash Samuel Johnson, they stank. Some were lazy. Some were on dope. Some were stupidly following their cult group. That doesn't change their core message which is what I tried to encapsulate. Their core message was very positive, and given the fact that they absolutely beleived that they could have a positive effect on the nature of our country, shows their optimism. This kind of optimism is important.

So, I don't have negative feelings about hippies. I DO have negative feelings about ANY group of people who want to silence the "noise" from other groups of people.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Damn right I feel the same anger now that I felt in the 1960's. And it is directed at the same idiots that were getting me riled in the 1960's, Godless, Gutless Hippies.

GL2
But the "God fearin'" lunatics who got us into 2 hideous, bloody, unnecessary wars have your full support? Atta boy.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Damn right I feel the same anger now that I felt in the 1960's. And it is directed at the same idiots that were getting me riled in the 1960's, Godless, Gutless Hippies.

GL2
Godless: How do you know? Isn't it kind of hyprocritical of you to judge others in this fashion? I bet you don't even beleive it. I bet you are just spouting what you heard someone like Rush Limbaugh beller into the mike from his multi-million dollar mansion, as he sucked back a bunch of oxytoxin.

Gutless: Ever hear of Kent State? Do you know what happened there? What about the people who went to prison instead of serving? That was not an easy choice for them. This was not the choice I made. and judging from your tone, not one you agree with. But you have to admit going to prison because of something you beleive in is not gutless.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:51 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post

Many hippies were dirty and smelly. Actually, to paraphash Samuel Johnson, they stank. Some were lazy. Some were on dope. Some were stupidly following their cult group...
I suppose that would depend upon what peer group one chose to associate with.

My level of Hippies were mostly, like me, Vietnam vets, college graduates, had good personal hygiene and dietary practices, and worked very hard at their chosen endeavors.

We may have lived outside of the mainstream, but it wasn't because we wanted to live a lower type existence, it was because we found the mainstream not up to our standards.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I suppose that would depend upon what peer group one chose to associate with.

My level of Hippies were mostly, like me, Vietnam vets, college graduates, had good personal hygiene and dietary practices, and worked very hard at their chosen endeavors.

We may have lived outside of the mainstream, but it wasn't because we wanted to live a lower type existence, it was because we found the mainstream not up to our standards.
You got that right, Brother. I agree 1000%. Nicely stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates