U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 PM

244 posts, read 246,292 times

Advertisements

We all have our gripes about the way things are, I am no different. The question is, in light of what you do not like about your world, what are you doing to change it?

I'll start. I could never understand religion. My parents did and still do consider themselves religious, but they could never answer any simple questions obout our religion when I was a child. They are decent people, but far from what I would consider devout.

I grew up hearing about the problems in the Middle East between Israel and Palestine. Later I found out that not only are the Jews and the Muslims at odds, but so too are the Christians. And the mind blower beyond that is that they all came from the same family.

What did I do? What am I doing? The first thing I did was to start studying Catholicism so I could speak intelligently about it. Then I started looking into other religions and religious doctrines so I could see if there was a correlation between all of them (Thank you Joseph Campbell and Sir James George Frazer for your work).

Then I decided two things: the first was to be a good person because it was simply the right thing to do; to try to help people where and when I could and to try to continue to evolve. This may sound simple, but self-evaluation is an ongoing and sometimes difficult process to endeavor to, especially if you are willing to be honest with yourself. The second thing I am doing is to dedicate my life to putting forward the ideas I have that will hopefully make a difference to people who have similar questions and either need guidance or are willing to embrace my ideas and run with them. In other words, I am a writing literature toward that end.

I believe that simplicity is the key; start at home and work outward.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,153,556 times
I became involved in a statewide group that helped defend those who were falsely accused of child abuse, and with a lawsuit changed the laws in the state so that people got fair trials in family court instead of the BS "proving your innocence" crap. I helped over 150 families who were falsely accused to reclaim not only their children but their good names back from those false accusations - and got several social workers fired and a judge disrobed.

I joined and eventually ended up chairing several groups that 1) collected money for scholarships for underprivileged children, 2) sent volunteers to SA once a year to install drinking water facilities, 3) provided educational materials and training for mothers of underprivileged children to not only have monthly books (thru the Dollywood Foundation) sent to them but to read to their children from birth to 6.

I volunteered to work the local ambulance and worked wrecks, delivered babies, saved lives that were broken and bleeding from domestic violence.

I also wrote, first letters to editors, then paid newspaper columns exposing political machinations that harmed the public. I became a prominent figure in state politics, traveling to the capitol to testify before judiciary and legislative investigative committees about illegal and unconstitutional laws. I then became an elected official, and with my compatriots ensured that developers who came into our area did not get free rides and tax breaks to become a burden on taxpayers, but (GASP) had to pay their own way.

And guess what? It was a total waste of time. Along the way I was accused of everything you can imagine, had my life threatened numerous times, got nasty phone calls at all hours, and had to run off a stalker of my 16 year old daughter. Yeah, helping people "who need it" really makes a difference. Believe that if you want to.

The needy never stop needing - and never stop demanding that someone, anyone, everyone, succor them. Nor do they ever stop taking advantage of, even viciously attacking, the very people who try to help them. Like Mark Twain said, "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

My personal motto for the past two years - "If you want sympathy, it's in the dictionary - right between syphilis and sh**".

Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,615,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
We all have our gripes about the way things are, I am no different. The question is, in light of what you do not like about your world, what are you doing to change it?

I'll start. I could never understand religion. My parents did and still do consider themselves religious, but they could never answer any simple questions obout our religion when I was a child. They are decent people, but far from what I would consider devout.

I grew up hearing about the problems in the Middle East between Israel and Palestine. Later I found out that not only are the Jews and the Muslims at odds, but so too are the Christians. And the mind blower beyond that is that they all came from the same family.

What did I do? What am I doing? The first thing I did was to start studying Catholicism so I could speak intelligently about it. Then I started looking into other religions and religious doctrines so I could see if there was a correlation between all of them (Thank you Joseph Campbell and Sir James George Frazer for your work).

Then I decided two things: the first was to be a good person because it was simply the right thing to do; to try to help people where and when I could and to try to continue to evolve. This may sound simple, but self-evaluation is an ongoing and sometimes difficult process to endeavor to, especially if you are willing to be honest with yourself. The second thing I am doing is to dedicate my life to putting forward the ideas I have that will hopefully make a difference to people who have similar questions and either need guidance or are willing to embrace my ideas and run with them. In other words, I am a writing literature toward that end.

I believe that simplicity is the key; start at home and work outward.

How about you?

how do I change the world??

easy enough, destroy the UN and kick all their diplomats out of the USA.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,556,268 times
I change the world simply by stating my opinions.
And like Einstein I'm rather a man of value than a man of success.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 AM

244 posts, read 246,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
And guess what? It was a total waste of time. Along the way I was accused of everything you can imagine, had my life threatened numerous times, got nasty phone calls at all hours, and had to run off a stalker of my 16 year old daughter. Yeah, helping people "who need it" really makes a difference. Believe that if you want to.

The needy never stop needing - and never stop demanding that someone, anyone, everyone, succor them. Nor do they ever stop taking advantage of, even viciously attacking, the very people who try to help them. Like Mark Twain said, "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

My personal motto for the past two years - "If you want sympathy, it's in the dictionary - right between syphilis and sh**".
It cannot be said that you did not make excellent attempts to improve the quality of your world, and ours too, but surely you can't be serious that all of it was a waste of time? Although that is not what I would like to focus on.

You have a right to feel the way you do with all the work you have done. And frankly, I am not totally shocked by people wanting more and becomiing unwilling to help themselves. It reminds me of what it is like to be highly motivated at work for an employer and coworkers who will take every advantage by coming to rely more and more on the one who gets work done, not to be inspired and take the example to heart.

Granny, do you think people can change, especially if they are taught young enough, or is Darwin's theory appropriate and those who can survive better should, and those that cannot should not?

Also, I hope a few people over the years have thanked your for your efforts. I am sure that you have made a positive difference in many peoples' lives, you were just not around to see your efforts come to fruition. I have followed you around the boards a bit and you still seem willing to help people. For what good it may do, thank you for that.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,153,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
Granny, do you think people can change, especially if they are taught young enough, or is Darwin's theory appropriate and those who can survive better should, and those that cannot should not?
That depends on what you mean by "taught early enough". There are those who are taught from birth that they have to make their own way in the world, while others (seems like most others) are taught that the world was made just for them - to take advantage of. But "teaching" comes in all different forms. Some teaching comes from watching one's peers or parents do things that are wrong, even heinous, and deciding - "I don't want to be that kind of person!" - either consciously or not. Sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree... but not often. My father was my saving grace in a family that firmly believed (and still believes) that they are entitled to whatever they can get from others - no matter who the 'others' are. He set an example of honesty, hard work, and integrity that was derided by the rest of the family - even by his own sons. DH refused to follow his father's path of spousal abuse, sexual abuse, and self-indulgence.

It is about choices. People choose to be worker bees or drones. People choose the path that they perceive to be the best for them. All of the excuses and empathy in the world doesn't change those who choose paths that are detrimental to themselves and others. People say, "I didn't choose to be born!" as an excuse - no, but every choice, conscious or not, once one reaches the age of cognizance (about seven, in my estimation) has a direct result on what happens next in one's life. People don't choose to be raped, sexually abused, poor, or hungry - but they choose the circumstances that can either make their responses a lifetime excuse or an ongoing practice in self-improvement. Between government, pop psychology, and the endless self-pitying, excuse-manufacturing TV shows, people are imbedded with the beliefs that nothing is their fault, and the world 'owes' them for what they have 'suffered'.

How much easier it is to choose to be succored, to not stand on their own, to be a drama king or queen, when every waking moment they are bombarded with everything from schools' "everyone deserves a prize" to Oprah and the View's false sympathy and mindless excitement over the nonentities and their fleeting, emotional, and manufactured-for-viewers hysterias? When overemotionalization is rewarded and projected as a sought-after goal, reason and individual, personal responsibility sneak quietly out the back door.

Short answer - 99.9% of all people are sheep, endlessly looking for a shepherd or a border collie to save them from themselves, and see no reason to change. I simply refuse to be the border collie any more. The pay is lousy, the rewards are nil, and the abuse from the sheep, who have to actually think before they eagerly follow the next fluffy mindless ram over the next cliff, and then bleat hysterically for help because they are falling, is not worth it.

I have - learned to be still. -"Learn to be Still" - the Eagles

BTW, you're welcome.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 AM

5,273 posts, read 11,973,511 times
My feeble attempts:

1) I vote my concious rather then blindly for a particular party.

2) I volunteer at 3 places- Union Gospel Mission, Salvation Army, Food Bank

3) I assist in running, twice per year, a 6 week long employment program (to include a large job fair with 45-60 employers)

4) I give money to various charities (currently 3- down from 5, but my wife was laid off)

5) I pray

Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 AM

857 posts, read 1,233,008 times
List of things to be changed:

1) Fix tax system so that the disparity of wealth is greatly reduced
2) Change Drinking age to 19, this law is not stopping anyone under 21 from drinking, just forcing them into houses and basements where its harder to regulate them
3) Legalize Marijuana, were not stopping people from doing it, were just letting all the money go underground to the people growing/dealing it illegally. legalize, tax, and regulate it
4) Create a railway system similar to Europe, it would create jobs while reducing traffic and carbon emissions.
5) Allow stem cell research
6) SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE, no person in public office can use religion as a bases for any argument, moral or otherwise. They must make their argument based only in the real world, not the spiritual.

Theres a lot more to be done but this would be a good start. And I plan on accomplishing all this by posting on Forums, thats how I will change the world

Old 02-24-2009, 09:58 AM

5,273 posts, read 11,973,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
List of things to be changed:

1) Fix tax system so that the disparity of wealth is greatly reduced
2) Change Drinking age to 19, this law is not stopping anyone under 21 from drinking, just forcing them into houses and basements where its harder to regulate them
3) Legalize Marijuana, were not stopping people from doing it, were just letting all the money go underground to the people growing/dealing it illegally. legalize, tax, and regulate it
4) Create a railway system similar to Europe, it would create jobs while reducing traffic and carbon emissions.
5) Allow stem cell research
6) SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE, no person in public office can use religion as a bases for any argument, moral or otherwise. They must make their argument based only in the real world, not the spiritual.

Theres a lot more to be done but this would be a good start. And I plan on accomplishing all this by posting on Forums, thats how I will change the world

While I appreciate your input, I must admit I have a few concerns about it. No offense intended, but:

1) Depending on your fix, I agree 100%. Our current tax system is horrible. I propose a flat tax equal to all Americans with no loopholes or deductions.

2) This only creates a entirely new class of drunk drivers and alcoholics. As if things aren’t bad enough as it is now. I know the argument, “old enough to go to war, old enough to drink”, and the logic is certainly there, but the younger we allow people to drink, the more we allow bad things to happen.

3) Personally, I disagree. When one looks at the bad side of booze, why add drugs to the same mix? I know it seems hypocritical to have one and not the other, but why add an entire class of drug abusers legally?

4) Great idea, but can’t be done. We are too spread out. However, taking your idea to the urban areas is smart. Here in Portland we’re continuously expanding light rail.

5) I do not support this from murdered children, but do in all other forms. As the father of a terminally ill daughter, there is some remarkable headway being made in adult stem cell research on her illness that may be a life saver in a few years.

6) Totally disagree. I do agree with the general political notion of separation of church & state, but faith and morality was the backbone of our nation’s birth and survival- why abandon it now? Let people decide for themselves. What you propose is complete censorship from the few against the many. That’s called “communism”, comrade. And I’m opposed to that.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,792,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

Granny, let me start from Jesus. He was crucified, despite all his ministry, miracles and grace. That is how the world works.

When you are actively involved in social work and public service, the anti-social elements always try to upset anything which wants to upset their normal order of things, which in this case happens to be you.

My father always used to say that one can never expect returns or gratitude in social service and public life. He was a social activist and headed several trusts/foundations working with the downtrodden masses of the society. He's dead now, but I still remember the countless problems he ran into. And when you listed some of your own experiences, I was able to relate to them.

You should never back out of the good work though. Just keep going
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or