Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 AM

465 posts, read 507,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
I have nothing good to say about John Engler but this: When he became Michigan's governor, he promptly cut the apron strings of alcoholics and drug users attached to the state, cold turkey. Unfortunately, they got back on over the years, but at least for a while, they had to find work.

There are people right here on CD in the Children With Special Needs section of the parenting forum who seek out information on how to get welfare for their 'aspergers' children. They ask for information for what states give the most benefits, etc.. Some claim it's impossible for the average person to tell there is anything wrong with their kids, it can only be diagnosed by specific professionals. These kids attend regular classrooms, but we are all paying for one on one aids for a lot of them, although they are usually highly intelligent students, just a little off on their organization skills (Aren't ALL kids from time to time?), yet these mothers ask openly for where to live so they can milk the system for what it's worth. They do not acknowledge the assistance, medicaid, and food stamps as welfare.

Exactly what do they need all the benefits for, for children who are normal in the eyes of most everyone but the mothers? And how does it make it ok for them to use their children like that? IMO, it isn't any different than the drunks and druggies who use the system for welfare, medicaid and food stamps.

They aren't 'self inflicted', but they ARE 'self imposed', and they aren't any more deserving than drunks and druggies.
And the people talking about asperger's it's a real disease but the parents kids don't have it in all likelihood or they would have way more problems than that. You should research it. I have some similarities due to my brain damage, and can tell you it's way more than "a little disorganized" it's also having special interests that no one else cares about (like say rocks) and not being able to focus on anything else, and not being able to talk about or realize that others want to talk about something else. It's an inability to read social cues which makes up 75% of most conversations. But most with asperger's make six figures a year because of their uncommon interests. There are very few that need to go on disability. There are a lot in between of course that work full time and only make lower or lower middle class income but still they're not on SSI.

They're malingering parents and I hope everyone of them gets caught. States need to spend more on weeding them out. If they spend more on catching people that say dogs have 7 legs when most people even with mental illness or physical difficulties no better, that saves the gov't and the tax payers, $1000s a month for just the one. It's time we don't see taxes as all are the same if we spend smart it can save in the end. It's time we spend money on letting forensic psychiatrists do their job, they're not clinical psychologists their job is to actually catch fakes, either to stay out of jail, or trying to get worker's comp or ssi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:22 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times
I haven't read all the posts, so if I repeat what's been posted before.....just forget me!

OK, let's with draw help from those that caused their own disabilities.

Then what happens? That person has only two or three opptions.

1. Sitting on the sidewalk until they starve to death.
2. Stealing enought to get by on.
3. Begging on street corners or from door to door.

And which would be the easier for the rest of us to handle? What's done is done. We can't roll the clock back and insist that they do better the second time.

We have to watch out for those that are truly needy. Unfortunately, others get the same consideration.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 AM

7 posts, read 6,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
I'm on disability but I have to disagree with the $6,000 a year. First of all most make over $600/mo. in disability that's $7200 right there. Also, you have to add food stamps, rent assistance, heating assistance, etc. I don't get most of these benefits because my mom's income of $1050/mo. which goes to doctor bills and home health care (some of it the gov't does pay but it would cost the state way more to put her in a nursing home). I stay here to help her with bills, we get no food stamps, no heating assistance, and $32/mo. in rental assistance. I'm more than glad to help my mom though.

But my point is their are malingers that's why they have tests to catch them. If a state spends the money on it, I know Repubs and Libertarians hate spending money but this is dropping dollars to catch dimes. If they get caught you spend way less on SSI. I hope every one of them gets caught.
Someone I know on SSI gets less than $600 a month, and lives with his girlfriend. He could probably get food stamps and possibly other supports but does not. Yet, even if the number exceeded a thousand dollars a month, or ten thousand a month, would it even begin to compare to what a soldier costs; not just in dollars, but in lives and quality of life for all? I'm not suggesting that this isn't an issue, but that there are bigger fish to fry, and that those are the ones (literally) getting away with murder.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
Someone I know on SSI gets less than $600 a month, and lives with his girlfriend. He could probably get food stamps and possibly other supports but does not. Yet, even if the number exceeded a thousand dollars a month, or ten thousand a month, would it even begin to compare to what a soldier costs; not just in dollars, but in lives and quality of life for all? I'm not suggesting that this isn't an issue, but that there are bigger fish to fry, and that those are the ones (literally) getting away with murder.
No it wouldn't but $6000 a year is rare. If someone else pays most of the bills then yes you only qualify for like $448 (in my case) a month. I had to show where I paid half the bills while living here with my mom to get the full amount. So it's with all benefits probably more like 40,000 or more depending on how much insurance etc. If you want to make a comparison you should be fair and equal. Not make up random numbers like one million per soldier or wth ever it was, but $6000 per year with no background. It's logically dishonest, I hate war but I hate picking numbers out of your butt and using them as fact even more.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:22 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
But most with asperger's make six figures a year because of their uncommon interests. There are very few that need to go on disability.
Um, what? Most? Where is my 6-figure check? Where are all my Asperger's friends' 6-figure checks? Most of my Asperger friends can't get a job because they can't get through an interview or keep a job for longer than a month. A lot of getting jobs these days is also working personal connections, which most Asperger's are pretty weak at.

I'd say being Aspie and making 6 digits is a lucky minority situation. Most Asperger's folks are either "flying under the radar" as NT's or unable to get a job.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Um, what? Most? Where is my 6-figure check? Where are all my Asperger's friends' 6-figure checks? Most of my Asperger friends can't get a job because they can't get through an interview or keep a job for longer than a month. A lot of getting jobs these days is also working personal connections, which most Asperger's are pretty weak at.

I'd say being Aspie and making 6 digits is a lucky minority situation. Most Asperger's folks are either "flying under the radar" as NT's or unable to get a job.
They are hugely represented in scientific and medical fields esp. in rare fields just as an example Cardiatric Pediatrician. Not everyone obviously but asperger's is highly represented in fields such as these. I know because I belong to several forums. I didn't say all, I didn't say 95% but disprove my most w/o just saying not you. Yes interviews for jobs are a problem but in a lot of places if you're diagnosed you can get occupational therapy and they will even go with you on the interview. That's how I landed a lot of my jobs. I would recommend people talk to their psychologist and find out the help available in the area.

Also you're right that we're weak with personal connections that's why some choose to make connections and work indirectly online. I can't speak to every situation obviously. But I know way more successful than unsuccessful both in real life and online in my forums and such. You just have to be willing to find help if it's available (TN where I live is middle of the road on help), there's also links to disability jobs online if anyone is interested in the info. You won't become a millionaire or even make six figures with these jobs I'm talking about but you will at least make enough to get off SSI after a couple to five years some are ran by the gov't.

I have problems similar to Asperger's only mine is brain damage is why I know so much/so many with it. I'm one of those that can't work presently or even connect with the people that help take care of my mom. But I refuse to give up hope or quit trying, esp. with so many with this disorder making it. You should compare this disability to things like schizophrenia, for disorders where you're least likely to be able to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates