Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:52 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
My wife's pain in the rear son had two kids back to back 4 yrs ago and was making 1200/mo net and his wife was making 1600/mo net with state benefits.

They still managed to get food stamps and medical cards for the kids and I guess the system did not check them out. This is in Kentucky.

Just 2 months ago he got a letter stating he was to pay back the money for the medical cards, so he had his boss say it was going to cost him 700/mo for family plan and now does not have to pay back.

He is no longer married but his income is 1800/mo/net and he lives rent free and pays nothing for his kids upbringing. He spends all of his money on booze, and drugs, tatoos and stereo's and just got a tax refund of 4300.00. The system must be overburdened to not follow thru on him and many, many others. I want to turn him in for other more serious stuff but not sure how to do it with my wife not finding out.
How come you can't let your wife find out?

You can still turn him in without telling her. All you have to do is go to the closest SSA and start from there. You can go alone and just provide evidence of your suspicions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 09:25 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
How come you can't let your wife find out?

You can still turn him in without telling her. All you have to do is go to the closest SSA and start from there. You can go alone and just provide evidence of your suspicions.
The other issues are that he has threatened bodily harm to myself and his mother and I caught him with his hands around her throat and hand in a fist ready to punch her. When I came upon the scene I was told by my in laws to mind my own business or they would lie to cops to get me in trouble after I told him I would hurt him if he did not let my wife/his mother go.

My wife told me to drop it, so as not to cause trouble in family. He has said he will do this three times in 4 yrs. and I think he is very capable.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 AM

I can understand your worries about going to the police.

You can go to SSA and report his disability fraud anonymously. No one will know that it was you or that you even went. They keep all that stuff confidential.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:45 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
And people pay into SSDI, so they are not living off your tax dollars.
I think this whole thread is stupid and that society needs this safety net or deal with more homelessness and crime, but I have to comment on your assertion. It is true up to a point, but, some of us have been on SSDI long enough that we have received much more than we contributed when working.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:00 PM

604 posts, read 1,186,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
The other issues are that he has threatened bodily harm to myself and his mother and I caught him with his hands around her throat and hand in a fist ready to punch her. When I came upon the scene I was told by my in laws to mind my own business or they would lie to cops to get me in trouble after I told him I would hurt him if he did not let my wife/his mother go.

My wife told me to drop it, so as not to cause trouble in family. He has said he will do this three times in 4 yrs. and I think he is very capable.
Take a stand Bigg Mann. If I had seen someone's hands around my spouse's throat that would be the last time. And the opinions of my in-laws would not matter.
Is he actually on disabilty? It's not clear to me......

Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

Let me also add that going on disability is the same as taking a vow of poverty, as far as I'm concerned. Most people rightly want to avoid it.
This is very true. Most people who apply for Social Security Disability are denied initially. It's a long and not an easy process. When a person is approved the amount they get is quite low and does indeed amount to living in poverty.

However, having said that, they are usually eligible for food stamps, reduced public transportation fares, and many cities and counties have free or low cost health clinics.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 PM

Don't forget low-cost Section 8 housing and also a whole multitude of apartments that are income-based and cater to the disabled.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 02-12-2011 at 09:43 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 09:37 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think this whole thread is stupid and that society needs this safety net or deal with more homelessness and crime, but I have to comment on your assertion. It is true up to a point, but, some of us have been on SSDI long enough that we have received much more than we contributed when working.
Fair enough, and not everyone is created equal.

By this I mean there will be a certain percent in the population unable to work, due to physical or mental limitations. I agree we need a safety net and don't care much for the thread title myself.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM

465 posts, read 507,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Don't forget low-cost Section 8 housing and also a whole multitude of apartments that are income-based and cater to the disabled.
That's very true but some of us only get the help we need at that time. For ex. me and my mom live together she draws Soc. Security and Section 8 pays $32 on our rent. We don't get food stamps, we don't need them so we don't even try. We don't get winter help with the bills it would make life easier but life isn't impossible without it. I think they should go by more than income. I as a former worker and we all pay taxes in one way or the other. It makes me angry to see "welfare queens" with 60" tvs. I have a little camper tv/vcr combo in my room and we have like a 20" in the living room and a DVD player. A tv in moms room as well. We live very frugally I think people should help themselves. But I do believe we need safety nets, and common sense rules.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:59 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Let me guess, you probably look "perfectly normal" to most people. You dress appropriately, you show up for work on time, many people consider you intelligent. But, you know that you are different.

Some people deal with an invisible disorder or have a friend, relative, who has or... they have been blessed, they are golden, they've never had to look into the abyss and have had to make a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
I worry that mental illnesses will be seen as fake. I for example, have TBI(Traumatic Brain Injury) and anxiety and other mental issues are typical of that. I have trouble working now but come from a long line of hard workers some who disown me and think I just shouldn't exist. To answer the question, I think it's a double-edged sword a lot of people abuse the system, but a lot of "fake" disorders are found to be real for example chronic fatigue syndrome they even found the virus (epstein barr). I do think it's about common sense. But I do think there's idiots on both sides of every debate really. What happened to common sense moderate, that is every case is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates