Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 09:22 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,471 times

Advertisements

It is all choice no matter how you look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:08 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Saw this in another thread, thought it merited its own. So sick of this idiocy and the general way people in our society nowdays so often deflect accountability for their screw-ups by labelling something a "disease," "syndrome," "condition" or "disorder" I could puke.

Am I the only one?
No, you're not. I agree totally with giving something a standardized label IF that gives you some kind of framework to start with as far as dealing with the problem effectively.

On the other hand, if you're using the label to absolve yourself of responsibility for your actions, that's a steaming pile of crap.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:02 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Saw this in another thread, thought it merited its own. So sick of this idiocy and the general way people in our society nowdays so often deflect accountability for their screw-ups by labelling something a "disease," "syndrome," "condition" or "disorder" I could puke.

Am I the only one?
No, the guys from South Park did an entire episode on this once.
Randy Marsh was "powerless" over his "disease".

Old 04-29-2009, 03:31 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times

You can joke about all this deadly stuff all you wish. Are you an alcoholic or an addict posting here?

Do you have a deadly disease that is in remission or one that's not in remission?

Do you just have an opinion?

If the later, let me clue you in on a real and recovered alcoholics viewpoint;

Oh, and notice... at no time does the word "disease", "syndrome," "condition" or "disorder" ever get mentioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by real and recovered alcoholic
My Drug of Choice was cocaine, I also had a long history of daily pot smoking, one day I just stopped.

my Drug of NO CHOICE is alcohol. I have as little choice in drinking today as I did when I was struck sober. This is why I continue to seek God, in and of myself I have no effective mental defense against the 1st drink.

I see a lot of people going out under the notion that they have choice. If you have choice, you don't need the spiritual awakening the 12 step path provides. Which makes me wonder why so many folks hang out in AA without doing AA.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:12 PM

Default Option 1: AA Option 2: some other recovery

I'm willing to open my mind a bit as far as Alcohol and drug recovery.

You'd have to be from another world to not have at least heard of AA.

I'm not here to defend or argue AA stats anymore.

In fact, I'm willing to agree there are other paths to seek. I've been to some of the anti-AA sites and discussed things with them and I think the truth of the matter is that AA is in rough shape.

It was brought to my attention that even bad-AA is still AA. AA has to be responsible for its own. So if you weigh out good AA with bad AA, it's a mess. And AA has only AA to blame for that. If "my problems are of my own making", then that would also mean, "Our problems are of our own making."

I can't even speak for AA anymore. It's clear that I break traditions when I fight them and defend AA.

I still think (and know from my experience) the hard-lined grass-roots AA Closed meeting path is the best for me.

But if you want to try different methods, great. If you check them out, come back in here and tell us what works, what doesn't.

My only experience is with AA, so what else do I know about other methods? Nothing.

Last edited by McGowdog; 05-12-2009 at 05:24 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 04:46 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
I'm disheartened to hear so many of the "experts" stating their opinion on these scientific matters. It used to be that folks who didn't have the benefit of a good university education could opt out of such conversations by stating the fact that they have no opinion of worth due to the fact they don't know all of the particulars of said subject. what a difference a few decades makes, today we have the spectacle of everyman as Doctor of behavioral science. Such deep insight, these quick witty posts that leave no doubt as to their skills in this field. I of course will not venture a guess as to the validity of such weighty matters, after all several opinions are just that, opinions. it is the informed opinion of course that carries some weight, how long have you studied this subject, how did you arrive at your opinion? Most folks being truthful, would readily admit to their ignorances, this is the first and most important step in educating yourself, knowing that you need to learn more is the motivation to study and investigate. The question of choice, in regard to drug addiction, is hardly a question of any consequence, I think you are attempting to discredit some really good science to validate your contention that you and others can, and do, have contrary opinions to those of the scientific community, they of the crowd who studied hard, versus your posse of disbelievers, maybe you didn't stop to think that someone who CHOOSES drug addiction as a way of life might be demonstrating the fact that they are indeed sick.........

Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 PM

Well let me start over with this.

I will leave my opinions about alcohol, alcoholism, addiction, drugs, drug addiction, recovery, 12 step, AA, other recoveries, etc. out of this. I do this because it's not worth debating anyway. I'm finding that I can change nobody's mind on the www. Some come in and agree with me, but I doubt I swayed anybody, unless they can reconcile what I say with their experience.

So let's go with experience. I'll state my experience on a topic and take it for what it's worth.

I recently shared my story at the State Hospital forensic ward as a member from AA. I shared my ES&H in recovery. I talked about why I am an alcoholic, my struggles to get sober, my struggles in AA, and my eventual success in AA where I continue with over 5 years sober and a life beyond my wildest expectations. Call the last sentence "opinion" if you will, but that's the way I see it.

AA worked for me and I had to find more than just the fellowship of it, I had to work steps out of the book and got what some call the "Conversionary" treatment of recovery. Some would call it religion based, but it doesn't seem like religion to me. Spiritual work, yes, but if you want religion, go to church on Sunday.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:20 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
The problem with 12-step programs is that even those programs don't make the person take responsibility for their actions. They all have some sort of "I realize I can't kick this by myself so I put myself in the hands of a higher power" kind of mantra they use. Whereas they should say "It's my fault I'm in this position but I myself have the power to get clean..."
Patently false. The 12 step programs such as AA are all about taking personal responsibility as well as finding a power greater than themselves.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:27 PM

Oh yeah, that old argument.

Personal responsibility. My experience is that I hate personal responsibility, but then I either bash my head on a wall or some wiseguy comes up to me and says, "Time to do some inventory."

I don't like doing it, but I do it because it ain't worth it. It ain't worth drinkin' over.

What I'd like to start focusing on is AA as a whole. If this is gonna be my path, I need to set a good example of it so people won't look at me and say, "Look at that jerk. If that's AA, I want no part of it." And if there's "bad" AA out there, what am I doing to make it better?

And if someone comes in and says, "There's other ways", to let it be and maybe even learn about it. This way, if I come across someone who doesn't want AA, they can know what else to try.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:21 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
The OP is trying to assign a simply solution to a rather complex problem, and it's just not that easy.

Of course while it may not meet the exact criteria of a "disease" it is progressive and will eventually kill the individual if untreated. Perhaps the OP would be more comfortable with the word "drunk" or "addict"?

Of course in the end I think it's best not to judge a person before you have walked a mile in his or her shoes. We're all different after all are we not? For instance, was it the OPs choice to be so highly critical of another? Or was he/she genetically prone to be judgmental and void of empathy? Maybe it was the way he/she was raised? Perhaps an event took place in their life that contributed to the development of this particular world view?

Why is the OP so different from me? Should I classify this as an interpersonal weakness on their part since I am unable to relate to it? Should I mock the weak characteristic I assigned the OP and look for others to agree with my POV? Or could I read the post and understand that we're all different and our response to stimuli will vary greatly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates