Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainerite View Post
there is a difference, but the threshhold of civic resposibility is well above both cases, so its a moot point- action is appropriate.
I don't think being a tattle-tale is a civic responsibility.

In this case, if the woman had not admitted it immediately, a great deal of law enforcement and judicial processing would have been wasted, because if she had denied it, it is very unlikely that she ever could have been convicted, merely on the say so of a busybody witness. "Your honor, the witness must have been mistaken. Let's move on the next piece of evidence. Oh, you don't have any more?" This is not a simple traffic citation requiring only a preponderance of evidence. A jury will need proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

In theory, the overworked and understaffed police have real criminals to catch, and spending all this effort to convict her would have been extremely counterproductive if she would just Deny, Deny, Deny.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-14-2009 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 11:57 AM

37 posts, read 108,287 times
i really don't understand your callousness on this subject.
this isn't something like reporting a broken taillight.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:27 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So, how many times in your life have you called the police to report haphazard reckless and dangerous behavior? Do you ever go out on your day off and just amuse yourself by calling the police, to find ordinary people that you can subject to jail terms and heavy fines? Does it make you feel better?

I can count 10 times I have called the police to report reckless and dangerous driving. Out of those calls, 9 of them were drunk drivers. The other one was not.

Yes, it does make me feel better to know some drunken moron is off the roads and not able to plow their car into someone and kill them.

No, on my day off; I spend time with my family thanks, but if I see a moron acting like a moron, I will act upon it. It's not for amusement, it's for safety.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:30 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Air Bag, which the woman is forced to have in her car, perhaps against her will. She is required to have the air bag, and now she is also required to defend her baby against the air bag.

BS.

If the baby was in a car seat in the back seat of the car, there is NO WORRY about an air bag.

The "mother" chose to endanger her baby, and others on the road, by NOT being responsible and choosing to bf while driving.

How hard is this for you to understand!?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:02 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
BS.

If the baby was in a car seat in the back seat of the car, there is NO WORRY about an air bag.

The "mother" chose to endanger her baby, and others on the road, by NOT being responsible and choosing to bf while driving.

How hard is this for you to understand!?

LOL. I guess they do need to put a lable on the steering wheel for those people that can't figure this out. WARNING, do not place baby between you and the airbag."

Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I would absolutely call the police if I saw a woman breastfeeding while driving. That baby would not have a chance if there was an accident and the airbag was set off. It is no different than seeing a toddler running around a car with no seat belt, probably worse. When I was nursing my sons I had a certain place in town that was quiet and private that I would pull off and nurse them. Was it a hassle and time consuming? Yes, but that was not the point, the baby needed to be fed and we all needed to be safe.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:04 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Parenting class. She needs parenting classes and a swift case of reality.

I'm a died in the wool breastfeeding advocate and consider her treacherous actions unbelieveable. How can somebody be that ignorant? I think I would have gotten out of my car and pulled her over myself.
She needs a psych eval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates