Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Who is "WE" -- and why do "WE" get to decide who can marry whom?
The "we" is society and the laws that the lawmakers "we" elect enact. Or, in many cases the referendums "we" vote on.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:57 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The "we" is the majority and the laws that the lawmakers "we" elect enact. Or, in many cases the referendums "we" vote on.
Fix'd your quote for ya.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:19 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Ew.

Thats how many feel about homosexuality. Whuts god for the goose is good for the gander.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:20 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Pets are not able to give consent.
Sure they do. In fact it's a given since pets want to live with you for life already.

Quote:
They cannot understand the concept of marriage, and they are not human.
So?

Quote:
If your dog/cat/goldfish is talking to you and hinting that June is a lovely month to get married.....well, you have a need of different type of fourm, if you know what I mean
lol

Quote:
Incest is a criminal offense, quite unlike homosexuality.
And how is that fair? If two family members are both consenting adults, why not?

Quote:
Besides, incest is about abuse and victimization.
No, sorry, wrong. Incest by definition means sex with someone within your immediate family (or "very closely related"). No more, no less. Doesn't stipulate whether consensual or not.

But then you knew that......I hoped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
You were the one attacking me, claiming I said everybody has to agree with me. You asked for my opinion but don't like the answers. Too bad.
I wasn't "attacking" - I asked a simple question, but apparently you can't handle this discussion, so never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Thisi is wild stuff. I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or just let loose of any remote hope I may have in the fate of humanity and, before its too late, move to Australia and marry maybe three or four kangaroos (good looking ones of course).
Now yer cookin

Old 03-04-2009, 05:41 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
The sibling part is simply because of genetics.

But, if the scientific data proves that the law is antiquated, then maybe you should rally to abolish it.
There ya go.

Quote:
Beastiality has been deemed illegal because animals are not allowed to give verbal or written consent to having sex so it is considered rape
Flawed logic. Since they cannot speak (ie words) or write, that means they don't consent? Then I guess if you're mute you better not be illiterate, or you can't have sex.

And again: we aren't talking about having sex, we're talking about marriage. Sure sex is typically a part of marriage, but it doesn't HAVE to be.

Quote:
Finally, the deal with children is close to the deal with beastiality.
And yet again: we aren't talking about sex, we're talking about marriage. Some of you have minds that clearly go right to the gutter.

But OK, if you prefer, then let's say you can only marry family members 18 or older. Good with it then?

Quote:
I personaly don't see how two people who don't find the opposite sex attractive anyway are hurting anyone else by being married.
And I personally don't see how two people who happen to be related or a person and their pet, who both love each other dearly, are hurting anyone else by being married either. So people are being hypocritical by saying gay marriage is OK (because no one is hurting anyone) but not marriage with family members, despite the same criteria being met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Hey Anita Bryant, give me a break.
childish insults from leftydan. Big surprise.

I didn't bother to read the rest of your post as I'm only interested in discussing this with adults. Run along now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I know. This dude is so off kilter!
Translation: "I'm not interested/capable of actually discussing this." Got it. dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Who is "WE" -- and why do "WE" get to decide who can marry whom?
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm curious to know the reason for this thread being started. Was it to kick off a discussion about morals...or to find some kind of justification for marrying a family member (or pet)?
Thx for asking. Basically it was to discuss/explore what I consider a hypocritical viewpoint of people who are fine with gay marriage but not marrying family members or pets. They rant and whine because others draw the line on marriage, then turn around and do the same thing - just drawing the line in a different spot. Who are they (or anyone else, by the way) to say where the line is drawn? Fish or cut bait is my point. Don't give me this "I'm fine with gay marriage so it should be legal, but I hate the idea of marrying family members or pets, so it should be illegal." That is imposing your morals on others - the very thing they claim to hate - ie hypocritical (and idiotic). If the logic is "gay marriage should be allowed because it isn't hurting anyone," guess what, neither is marrying a family member or a pet. Be consistent.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
It is against Jesus. Let's please obey God and Jesus please for the sake of our dear planet, for the sake of humanity obey Jesus.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:54 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It is against Jesus. Let's please obey God and Jesus please for the sake of our dear planet, for the sake of humanity obey Jesus.
There are billions of people that don't agree with that.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Sure they do. In fact it's a given since pets want to live with you for life already.

So?

lol

What you are trying to do is to give animals a human response. They cannot think like humans and therefore they cannot want human ideals/contrivances such as marriage. It is meaningless to them. Besides, what pets want or don't want really is immaterial as pets are viewed legally as possessions. Not autonomous beings capable of either giving consent or living an independent life. That is why you don't see a hobo catcher prowling the streets to nab the homeless, it is why you don't see homeless people being neutered/spayed against their will and then put to sleep if no one wants to 'adopt' them.

And how is that fair? If two family members are both consenting adults, why not?

No, sorry, wrong. Incest by definition means sex with someone within your immediate family (or "very closely related"). No more, no less. Doesn't stipulate whether consensual or not.

But then you knew that......I hoped.
No, incest is not merely two consenting adults. Unlike homosexuality or heterosexuality, the act of incest is usually one of dominance and control. And rape. It is usually not something done between two consenting adults (such as half siblings raised apart) but more commonly an act of pedophilia done to a daughter by her father.
Really, the examples you are using to 'out' hypocrits is the gay marriage movement aren't that good. People are not pets, incest is more like rape. Truely, you have pointed out how much alike gay and straight relationships actually are when compared to the deviant sex you bring up.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,166 times
Quote:
Flawed logic. Since they cannot speak (ie words) or write, that means they don't consent? Then I guess if you're mute you better not be illiterate, or you can't have sex.
This is the worst argument I've seen on this thread. Obviously pets can't even comprehend what marriage is, they cannot give consent for it nor have consensual intercourse. An illiterate mute person can still understand what marriage is while a dog cannot, this is common sense.
Quote:
Thx for asking. Basically it was to discuss/explore what I consider a hypocritical viewpoint of people who are fine with gay marriage but not marrying family members or pets. They rant and whine because others draw the line on marriage, then turn around and do the same thing - just drawing the line in a different spot. Who are they (or anyone else, by the way) to say where the line is drawn? Fish or cut bait is my point. Don't give me this "I'm fine with gay marriage so it should be legal, but I hate the idea of marrying family members or pets, so it should be illegal." That is imposing your morals on others - the very thing they claim to hate - ie hypocritical (and idiotic). If the logic is "gay marriage should be allowed because it isn't hurting anyone," guess what, neither is marrying a family member or a pet. Be consistent.
To be honest, I don't know why two consenting adult family members cannot get married. Most of the time incest is also pedophilia taking place between a father/daughter or something like that. But I can't seem to come up with a reason why long lost siblings shouldn't be able to be married, nor cousins. They are probably the next group to gain these rights, once we can actually come up with the correct wording.

But really the argument between homosexuality and incest is comparing apples and oranges. Its not like some people have a natural attraction to only their family members, but some people are born attracted to solely the same sex. And you really need to drop the pet argument, its terrible and has no merit whatsoever.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i have been married to my beta charlie (who is male) for several years. it was a secret marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates