Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,759,585 times

Advertisements

It seems as though most of the people who take the stance that abortion is murder are doing so based on their religious beliefs. However, many people make "scientific" arguments against abortion as well. Is there anyone on here that thinks that abortion is murder, yet is non-Christian? Please elaborate on your thinking a little. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 09:03 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,603,786 times
I do.
My thinking is this ---- a zygote is a human in developement. That said, I do support the use of the morning after pill. And if abortion is unavoidable (and it is, sadly) then it should be performed as early and as rare as possible.
I do consider all abortions performed after the first trimester as killing, if not murder.
Now, I do not believe in god but I do believe in compassion and I do believe in the sanctity of life. Probably because I also believe that this life is all we have. I worry that fetus' that are aborted feel pain, and that is unjust. I do worry that abortions that take place after the first trimester are more plentiful then we know, and are done for far less serious reasons then we are let on to believe. I believe that abortion is a highly unregulated industry and thus a lot of abuses are allowed to occur under the mantle of reproductive rights. I do believe that the case in FL where a breathing abortion survivor was placed in the trash is not an isolated incident.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:09 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,490,296 times
I do not. My feeling is that the mother has some rights too. It's her body, so she should be able to make decisions. She's also the one who has to live with those decisions.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,953,410 times
I don't view it as murder. It's like taking someone off life support- it results in a death, but it's definitely not murder.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:37 AM

613 posts, read 1,268,147 times
I don't think you can argue that that it isn't. it's a premeditated form of ending human life. The mothers body is not the one in question. The choice to create life was already made. The choice to parent a child may not have been made but there are people who will gladly adopt babies. In my opinion the biological parents should have to pay child support based on their income and finacial need. In cases of rape, statutory or normal, the rapist should have to pay retributions to their victims and pay child support or be put to death. The only situation in which abortion should even be thought of is if birth threatens the mothers life. I don't consider myself religious at all.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:56 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,410,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
I don't think you can argue that that it isn't. it's a premeditated form of ending human life. The mothers body is not the one in question. The choice to create life was already made. The choice to parent a child may not have been made but there are people who will gladly adopt babies. In my opinion the biological parents should have to pay child support based on their income and finacial need. In cases of rape, statutory or normal, the rapist should have to pay retributions to their victims and pay child support or be put to death. The only situation in which abortion should even be thought of is if birth threatens the mothers life. I don't consider myself religious at all.
I bolded the part that was a complete lie. Your name is allah truth and you spout your plainly religious beliefs under the guise of a non religious poster. You think that people that accidentally have a baby should have to pay child support to the people that adopt the baby? Are you insane?

People make mistakes, in this country we shouldn't shun them, we should try to help everyone. Bringing a child into this world is a major responsibility, and some people are not up to it. Abortions are going to happen whether you legalize it or not so really we should set up guidelines so that people aren't just going crazy and getting abortions all the time, nor should we force women to have babies they cannot care for and would not live good lives anyways.

Abortion is not good, but it is necessary.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:18 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,068,004 times
Not if performed within certain time periods.
I also believe adoptions should be much much easier.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:32 AM

613 posts, read 1,268,147 times
[quote=nickeldude;7742401]I bolded the part that was a complete lie. Your name is allah truth and you spout your plainly religious beliefs under the guise of a non religious poster. well actually the names kinda old and meaningless now. I am philosophical and I respect religion but I don't practice any. You think that people that accidentally have a baby should have to pay child support to the people that adopt the baby? Are you insane?
I'm saying if any couple have sex and they don't use effective contraception properly or at all it's not an accident. They should have to pay for it not the child they created.
People make mistakes, in this country we shouldn't shun them, we should try to help everyone.By cutting up the little mistakes in their stomach that's cute really. People need to start taking responsibility for their mistakes. This isn't some petty accident. I agree we shouldn't shun them we should show them that they have support and everything will be taken care of, but they can't just kill the life they created. Bringing a child into this world is a major responsibility, and some people are not up to it. Abortions are going to happen whether you legalize it or not so really we should set up guidelines so that people aren't just going crazy and getting abortions all the time, nor should we force women to have babies they cannot care for and would not live good lives anyways. who are you to decide who will have a good life? some of the greatest people in history came from broken and impovershed homes. I agree raising a child is a major resposibility that some aren't cut out for, but there are people who are and willing to take care of it. It is my opinion that just as if a father refuses it's parental duties the mother that refuses should have to pay some child support. It may be very little or none depending on the situation.

Abortion is not good, but it is necessary. For what?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,742,698 times
I do not believe that it is murder.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:14 PM

640 posts, read 1,728,123 times
Here's a question: How many abortions is too many? Is it acceptable for a woman to be on their 2nd or 20th abortion?

I am a non-religious person who disagrees with abortion. I will tell you how I came to this conclusion:
I am planning to work in health care and I regularly frequent medical message boards and blogs. One thread in a particular medical message board discussed the "frequent flyers" of certain women who get abortions. Believe it or not, there are women out there who are on their 5th, 6th, up to 13th abortions. And I wondered to myself: Why am I so absolutely infuriated by this? After all, if one abortion is merely the abandoned blob of potential cells and that does not matter to me, why did it matter to me when it was the 13th abandoned blob?

Another thing that really iritates me are people's general rejection of when conception begins. Take a simple Anatomy and Physiology II class and science CLEARLY states when a life begins: at conception. Trying to manipulate this is lying to oneself and spreading misinformation. Another thing is when people begin to argue semantics: "You're killing the POTENTIAL of a human being." No. The human is a developing organism (initially single celled to millions of cells), meaning they were humans from conception. Sorry.

Although I personally do believe abortion is killing a human being, morality is one half an ingrained part of our brain and another half just societal dogmas. So perhaps my individual "culture" is different than others. At one point, it was "moral" to have many wives. Now it is not. At one point it was "moral" to have slaves. Now it is not. I do not present myself to be more "moral" than someone who gets an abortion, but I do know something intrinsic inside my head feels that it is wrong. Here's some science for ya:Research|Penn State: The moral brain. Very interesting

In college, I saw way too many girls get abortions or have babies. I did not get knocked up because I went on the pill, I understood the physiology behind it, and I also understand the propensity of my body to do everything it can to pass on my genetic line. I think that feeling is called "horny". Sadly, many women do not take having a uterus very seriously. It was more worth it to them to go through the trouble of getting an abortion than going to the school pharmacy and picking up a $10 pack of birth control and using it correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates