Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,376,876 times

Advertisements

Here are some other so called victimless crimes:
1. Spitting on the sidewalk
2. Suicide (yes, it is illegal)
3. Oral and/or anal sex
4. Speeding on an uninhabited, open, straight, dry, highway.
5. Public Drunkedness -- as long as not driving.
6. Drug Addictions
7. Gambling
8. Failure to license your dog.
9. Failure to license your bike.
10.Giving people free hair cuts-if you're not licensed to do so.
11. ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 02:37 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,484,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
How so?

If a man is smoking pot who is victimized?
If a man is paying for sex, who is victimized?
If a man is playing poker with his friends, who is victimized?
If a man is carrying a gun in NYC, who is victimized?

1) The pot grower & pedlar are victims as they are supplying a man's habit in a very violent and seedy (sorry, I just had to figure a way to stick that in) environment. Often they are killed or imprisoned for the habits of another. Any family of the pot smoker become victims as the druggy is not his self (or, her self) and that can cause not only pain in their lives, but turn them down the druggy road. The pot smoker loses family & friends and may be subject to arrest and how that impacts so many others.

2) Prostitutes continue on in their "lives" of predominately STD's, drugs & incarcerations as there are people willing to prey on them for sex. The men are subjecting themselves to loss of health, loss of family, loss of jobs and the ramifications that those lead to. They also spend large sums of money that may have gone to feeding family or paying debt... and the numerous ramifications that has.

3) I am not aware that this is a crime.

4) Carrying a gun is not a crime if one is licensed.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:25 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,376,876 times
I didn't want to argue whether so called victimless crimes are actually without victims. I just wanted to get a list of the crimes generally thought of as victimless.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 PM

23,519 posts, read 69,916,722 times
The list, if anyone bothered to compile one, would be endless. People are really really stupid in making laws.

Carrying a knife that is longer than 2" is a crime. So much for cutting that steak.
Carrying a weapon through New Jersey is a crime, even in a locked box and with a permit from other states, or if you are on out of state LEO.
Bringing a lethal weapon on an airplane is a crime. You folks who know martial arts, be sure to leave your hands and feet at the counter.
As I said, the list would be endless. It would also be contradictory. The simple fact is that by existing, you are breaking at least a dozen laws.

I like an idea that was once promoted in Europe. (Switzerland?) There can be only X number of words in the entire code of basic laws. If you create a new law, you have to remove an old one. Since the number of words is about enough to fill ten pages, EVERYONE has to read and know the laws.

Limiting the laws to just the important concepts has an interesting appeal to it.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,484,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I didn't want to argue whether so called victimless crimes are actually without victims. I just wanted to get a list of the crimes generally thought of as victimless.

Oh, well hell, why not say so.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:04 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,409,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
1) The pot grower & pedlar are victims as they are supplying a man's habit in a very violent and seedy (sorry, I just had to figure a way to stick that in) environment. Often they are killed or imprisoned for the habits of another. Any family of the pot smoker become victims as the druggy is not his self (or, her self) and that can cause not only pain in their lives, but turn them down the druggy road. The pot smoker loses family & friends and may be subject to arrest and how that impacts so many others.
This was the funniest thing I read today.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:18 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,167,545 times
Oh I had a GREAT book a long time ago about stupid outdated laws...

"STUPID LOCAL LAWS

In Ottumwa, Iowa, "It is unlawful for any male person, within the corporate limits of the (city), to wink at any female person with whom he is unacquainted."

In Los Angeles, you cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time.

In Zion, Ill., it is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animals kept as pets.

In Carmel, N.Y., a man can't go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match. << Note: this law isn't silly. Write your legislators today and get this PASSED in your area now!!>>

In St. Louis, it's illegal to sit on the curb of any city street and drink beer from a bucket.

In Hartford, Conn., you aren't allowed to cross a street while walking on your hands.

In Baltimore, it's illegal to throw bales of hay from a second-story window within the city limits. It's also illegal to take a lion to the movies.

In Oxford, Ohio, it's illegal for a woman to strip off her clothing while standing in front of a man's picture.

In Carrizozo, N.M., it's forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public (includes legs and face).

In Pennsylvania it is illegal to have over 16 women live in a house together because that constitutes a brothel...however up to 120 men can live together, without breaking the law.

In Michigan, a woman isn't allowed to cut her own hair without her husband's permission."

Silly Laws (http://monster-island.org/tinashumor/humor/laws.html - broken link)

There is more in the link

Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,374,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
The same can be said of alcohol in spades. No one is directly intentionally hurt by someone smoking pot. It is a victimless crime. A persons family can be crushed by any number of decisions they make. That does not constitute crime.

The violence involved is not the fault of the pothead, but rather the society that created the black market in the first place. Drug smuggling or dealing may not be a victimless crime, drug use however is.

Quote:
2) Prostitutes continue on in their "lives" of predominately STD's, drugs & incarcerations as there are people willing to prey on them for sex. The men are subjecting themselves to loss of health, loss of family, loss of jobs and the ramifications that those lead to. They also spend large sums of money that may have gone to feeding family or paying debt... and the numerous ramifications that has.
Again, adults make stupid decisions all the time. One person selling services to another is not a crime & the buyer not a victim. Both the merchant & consumer know full well the risks they are undertaking & neither can be realistically said to be a victim of a crime in a normal transaction.

Quote:
3) I am not aware that this is a crime.
You didn't know gambling was a crime?

Quote:
4) Carrying a gun is not a crime if one is licensed.
Nope, but carrying without a license or in a place with no licensing system hurts no one yet is treated as a serious crime.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:34 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,374,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post

Ummm, this is a debate forum & you dont want folks to argue?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:47 PM

9,761 posts, read 3,406,217 times
A little of topic but still falls under 'victimless crime'.. anyways, I served in the Military.. did you know that anything that is not missionary-style sex is considered sodomy and is illegal? I still can't get over that one.. lol :-)

Last edited by FlaGrrrl; 03-04-2009 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates