Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:48 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
Okay, I have a good topic (I think) for debate.
Way back when, let's say Europe...when kids became a certain age, they were sent to live with their uncles, etc... some were squires, ladies in waiting...think king arthur.
Do you think that it would be a good idea to go back to doing this with our current youth? why or why not?
I don't know about Europe because we're not Europe but just what uncles/aunts want these days - teenagers coming to live with them. Way back when, in America, teenagers weren't the largely spoiled self-absorbed materialistic wusses they are today. The had adult responsibilities. They didn't wear helmets and knee pads to roller skate. Mommy and daddy didn't show up at school because the teacher yelled at them or gave them a D. They were competitive and didn't think everybody owed them something. They didn't mouth off without consequences. They didn't spend a fortune on their proms. They didn't spend their first year of college taking remedial classes. If they got pregnant, they were embarrassed. And, if they had self esteem issues, tough noogies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
That is a good question in today world and it varies so much depending on where peoplel live and the influence they are under.I frankly talk to so many that basically said they just took things for granted in their teens and by the time they learned that it wasn't going to be like this all their lifes they were in their 20's and had made too many bad decisions from grade school to high school.The world is always changing and changng with it is basic to surviving in it.It really seems that many of these type also promote others to do the same thing basically because I think they don't want to be alone in their situation.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
McWynne, there is a Parenting forum in C-D. A lot of people there will try to be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates