Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:03 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,061,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Companies that hire illegals are able to save money on labor costs and thus they wind up with a greater net profit, so they pay more taxes to the government. It's part of the reason why the government will never do anything serious about companies that employ illegal aliens.
I may be shooting myself in the foot, but I agree with you.

It's astounding what illegal aliens have done to our economy. I am not normally a hateful person, but I detest what they have done to us as a country.

Now Mexico is mad at us because some of them are going home and Mexico doesn't want them because they are not bringing our money back into their country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 12:55 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,651,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post

It's astounding what illegal aliens have done to our economy.
Is it astounding that consumers will not pay a substantial premium for goods/services produced/performed by U.S. citizens?

Instead, the overwhelming percentage of everything we consume is produced elsewhere and imported.

Are you willing to pay say, $5.00 for a head of lettuce to ensure only U.S. citizens grew/harversted/transported it?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:13 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,440,092 times
Quote:

It's astounding what illegal aliens have done to our economy. I am not normally a hateful person, but I detest what they have done to us as a country.

Now Mexico is mad at us because some of them are going home and Mexico doesn't want them because they are not bringing our money back into their country.
I detest them too...especially being in a state that has to deal with so many of them.

I don't think any additional taxes the companies are paying are worth it because they are not paying income taxes. In addition, they are taking money from education, welfare, health care, etc. budgets.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:23 PM

857 posts, read 1,420,455 times
Quote:

Unless you're Native American its a little Hypocritical to hate on immigrants. I mean yes we are theoretically talking about illegal aliens but a lot of people's fore-fathers were illegal or only got in because america's immigration standards were a lot lower in the past. I don't think anyone would say that most of the immigrants during the 19th century were ideal citizens that we would welcome here today. Basically we say to illegal aliens, too bad you did not get here earlier .

Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Unless you're Native American its a little Hypocritical to hate on immigrants. I mean yes we are theoretically talking about illegal aliens but a lot of people's fore-fathers were illegal or only got in because america's immigration standards were a lot lower in the past. I don't think anyone would say that most of the immigrants during the 19th century were ideal citizens that we would welcome here today. Basically we say to illegal aliens, too bad you did not get here earlier .
Those that came during the 19th century at least obeyed the laws that did exist for immigration.

I have no problem with people immigrating legally. I have a real problem with people breaking the law and then feeling entitled to the benefits of being Americans.

I saw somewhere that something like 15%-20% of kids enrolled in some school districts are illegal immigrants or their parents are illegal immigrants. Most of those kids require ESL classes and special classes which result in them costing far more than the other kids in the school do.

And what about how Obama wants to provide SSI to illegal immigrants? How do those of you who love them so much feel about that? Don't you think that's at least a bit unfair to the rest of us?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Here's a thought...require anyone (and their kids if over a certain age) who wishes to become a legal immigrant to take English classes before being admitted into the country.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:47 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,131,214 times
Quote:
I do agree with this, Native Americans are the only true non-immigrants.

But on the other hand, should we just have totally open borders and let everyone on Earth come into the US? Do you think it's smart to just let everyone flood into America with no documents?

Also, most countries on Earth had indigenous populations that got massacred and taken over. Or the borders got changed by force. Or people were forcibly relocated. There are very few countries out there in which the original inhabitants have stayed there throughout the entire history and peacefully built their society without conflict.

If you look at a world map, the borders of most countries are very crooked and meandering, because they were formed through wars and takeovers. That's just the way humankind is.

Personally I think that we should welcome everyone from around the world into America because that is the philosophy that this country was founded on. But they should have the proper visas and documents and do it all by the rules. Illegals shouldn't be tolerated as much as they are and deportations should be more common, but they should be given the opportunity to come to America legitimately if they want to.

Many sectors in the US economy benefit from having illegals come in for short periods, work, and then leave the country. So the policies basically allow them to do it easily. And there are a lot of bad side effects to it.

Politicians act like they are working to secure the borders. But they themselves are the ones allowing the borders to be so open for economic purposes. It's very hypocritical.

The USA is starting the feel like a free-for-all for anyone on Earth who wants to come on over. I would rather live in a country where everyone who is here is official. It's much more safe that way.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:13 PM

1,008 posts, read 872,444 times
Quote:
If a larger profit for a company meant that they paid more taxes we would not be in the mess we are in. Companies are taxed the same as an individual person and so they qualify for tax breaks and do not get taxed nearly as much as they should. So no, the companies taxes do not even come close to making up for the loss in federal income from illegal aliens who do not file taxes and or all the gov't resources spent on illegal aliens.

I never suggested or implied such was the case.

If you think the government actually cares about losing money (the money of tax-paying citizens) more than it cares about helping companies make billions, then you are sadly mistaken. Furthermore, the immigration invasion helps the government achieve their plans for changing the demographics of this nation.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Is it astounding that consumers will not pay a substantial premium for goods/services produced/performed by U.S. citizens?

Instead, the overwhelming percentage of everything we consume is produced elsewhere and imported.

Are you willing to pay say, $5.00 for a head of lettuce to ensure only U.S. citizens grew/harversted/transported it?
Here's a thought...what's so bad about family farms? Why not just return to that instead of having all this mass-produced hormone, chemical-rich crap that is shoved down our throats. I'm not saying everyone should be in agriculture...but I do think it would be far preferable to return to having most of our food produced that way.

As far as non-food items...why can't we use prisoners to produce them? The state could sell them to stores, etc. at very cheap prices.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:10 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,040,495 times
I'm sorry, I have to weigh in on illegal immigration. I have nothing against immigrants themselves, hell I'm half immigrant (German/Russian), but illegal is a major sore point. I think legal immigration should be made easier, because hell if we need hands let's get them...but make the illegal immigration much more penalized. Largely for tax revenue purposes, and if they are illegal and pay taxes I think they should be considered legal, because if some one uses public services and does not pay for it that should be penalized. If they are working I love people legal or not, I would almost put forth the idea of exporting non working citizens some where else.

I work hard, I pay a good deal of income in taxes...if some one else is dong the same then I have no issues. If some one is working under the table and walks in and uses the general fund a good number of people are contributing to and they aren't....screw them. I don't care how bad it is in their home country is, or if they are citizens and trying to avoid taxes, you don't get to draw without chipping in. The only way I see it is if you are totally unable to work due to disability you can draw without being a worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates