Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:36 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times

Advertisements

I watched a lebgthy show about this on TV a couple of weeks ago. One county in northern CA nearly completely decriminalized pot. The result was that the pot growers got wealthy, but violent crime (to include burning houses down...) got so out of hand that people were, literally, fleeing the county like refugees as it became a gang war zone. The pot growers weren't paying taxes by the way 'cause that's not what they do.

Anyway, to make a long story short, it was an unmitigated disaster and destroyed thousands of lives in a very short time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I watched a lebgthy show about this on TV a couple of weeks ago. One county in northern CA nearly completely decriminalized pot. The result was that the pot growers got wealthy, but violent crime (to include burning houses down...) got so out of hand that people were, literally, fleeing the county like refugees as it became a gang war zone. The pot growers weren't paying taxes by the way 'cause that's not what they do.

Anyway, to make a long story short, it was an unmitigated disaster and destroyed thousands of lives in a very short time.
I think most people who support legalization fail to think deeper into it and see the potential real consequences.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:01 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,775 times
Hmmm, food for thought. . . what was the cause of the increased violence? My suggestion would be to decriminalize, nationwide, certify growers, test products for safty and strength, establish valid retail outlets, etc. Can't see how that would lead to increased crime. . . . .

Old 03-31-2009, 09:16 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
The problem with decriminalization is that you solve one problem and that is little to no penalties for the user.

You do not solve the other problem though because where are users suppose to get it if it is illegal to grow and sell?

Ergo making it 100% legal would mean full on regulation of marijuana. The government would decide who grows and who sells.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:41 AM

163 posts, read 420,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
de criminalizing pot would be a great benefit not only to California, but to the entire country! Pot could be taxed, providing revenue, casual users would not be imprisioned, drug crime would be vastly lessened, drug cartels would be weakened. . . . quality and strength could be regulated. . . frankly, I do not see a "down" side!

great! and health costs would go up (remember...most people SMOKE weed, not eat them in brownies) not to mention the need for rehab for those who overly partake in these festivities.

whether you like it or not...the war on drugs is stemming an even larger problem from happening. If you dare mention Amsterdam go read about how crime is spiking due to drugs and social costs are increasing.

I find it ironic that people are trying to legalize weed while at the same time trying to ban cigarrettes

Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
numbers, proven, or i call BS. (I grew up in an agriculture-based community in the san joaquin valley, and i don't remember growing marijuana to survive )
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post

I watched that show too. I'm pretty certain that it did mention that marijuana was the largest cash crop for all of California. That was surprising to me. I thought the growers and sellers were paying taxes, however. I didn't take notes so I could be wrong, but I think I remember that the county (where so much of it was being grown) had become a very wealthy county. It was an interesting news program. I'd watch it again.

I would VERY MUCH like to see pot legalized in the U.S. It certainly wouldn't solve our economic woes, but it would help. It could be regulated like the liquor industry, even sold in liquor stores. It would keep more money in the U.S. as opposed to sending it to South American countries, drastically reduce the criminal element, reduce law enforcement, court and prison costs, and put a few more people to work.

Anyone who knows anything about pot knows that it's certainly not as dangerous as alcohol and probably not as dangerous as tobacco, simply because nobody would be smoking a pack or two of doobies every day.

And yes, it could help rescue California, as well as Oregon and a few other states. In the early years of this nation, hemp was a major crop. There's no logical reason it could not be again.

Oh, and there wouldn't be any extra "rehab" costs, because pot is not addictive like cigarettes and booze. People don't go to rehab to quit smoking pot; they just quit.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:30 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasusBelli View Post
great! and health costs would go up (remember...most people SMOKE weed, not eat them in brownies) not to mention the need for rehab for those who overly partake in these festivities.

whether you like it or not...the war on drugs is stemming an even larger problem from happening. If you dare mention Amsterdam go read about how crime is spiking due to drugs and social costs are increasing.

I find it ironic that people are trying to legalize weed while at the same time trying to ban cigarrettes
What kind of health issues would one get from marijuana?
Prison is $45,000 per person and rehab is $15,000 is per person

Holland it is not legal it is tolerated and decriminalized to a certain extent. They feel the crime rates is increasing because of the strict laws not because its laxed. Hence why they are trying to legalize but they cant because of the EU.

Banning cigarettes? Last time I checked you were aloud to smoke all you want in the comfort of your own home. It is banned in public areas but I do not see how that is illogical. A person should have the right to do what ever to themselves as long as they are not harming others.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
I have long felt pot should be legal. However, I do not think it is any cure for economic woes. Sure, taxed and regulated, it would bring in lots of additional revenue for states or the Feds. And its not like that revenue would be targeted towards deficit relief. It would end up increasing the budget for earmarks, services and the usual array of things governments pay for. And thus governments would still end up in the red as the invariably do.

A fella doubles his salary, its rare that he reacts by becoming more prudent or careful. He buys a bigger house, bigger car and more tvs.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I watched that show too. I'm pretty certain that it did mention that marijuana was the largest cash crop for all of California. That was surprising to me. I thought the growers and sellers were paying taxes, however. I didn't take notes so I could be wrong, but I think I remember that the county (where so much of it was being grown) had become a very wealthy county. It was an interesting news program. I'd watch it again.

I would VERY MUCH like to see pot legalized in the U.S. It certainly wouldn't solve our economic woes, but it would help. It could be regulated like the liquor industry, even sold in liquor stores. It would keep more money in the U.S. as opposed to sending it to South American countries, drastically reduce the criminal element, reduce law enforcement, court and prison costs, and put a few more people to work.

Anyone who knows anything about pot knows that it's certainly not as dangerous as alcohol and probably not as dangerous as tobacco, simply because nobody would be smoking a pack or two of doobies every day.

And yes, it could help rescue California, as well as Oregon and a few other states. In the early years of this nation, hemp was a major crop. There's no logical reason it could not be again.

Oh, and there wouldn't be any extra "rehab" costs, because pot is not addictive like cigarettes and booze. People don't go to rehab to quit smoking pot; they just quit.
I agree AND disagree. I agree that hemp is a huge major cash crop and could easily replace cotton and synthetic fibers. On the other hand I know A LOT of people who smoke pot on a regular basis and for that reason alone I am against decriminalizing it.

Sure, many people can smoke and it's fine, no reprocussions, no big issue but I disagree fully on the fact that it is not addictive. For SOME people it is not addictive but for others it is highly addictive. Just like alcohol... I can drink on occasion and it doesn't rule my life, but for my grandfather who is an alcoholic he drinks because he can't stop. I have many friends who absolutely cannot stop smoking weed. They smoke 1/8th or more a day and haven't gone more than 2 or 3 days for YEARS without smoking. A good friend of mine is 22, he has been smoking regularly since he was 14 and I've seen him sober twice... in the 6 years I've known him only twice.

I'm really torn on the issue but it will never go away, weed will never disappear and the demand will never magically go away.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:06 AM

163 posts, read 420,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
What kind of health issues would one get from marijuana?
Prison is $45,000 per person and rehab is $15,000 is per person

Holland it is not legal it is tolerated and decriminalized to a certain extent. They feel the crime rates is increasing because of the strict laws not because its laxed. Hence why they are trying to legalize but they cant because of the EU.

Banning cigarettes? Last time I checked you were aloud to smoke all you want in the comfort of your own home. It is banned in public areas but I do not see how that is illogical. A person should have the right to do what ever to themselves as long as they are not harming others.

*cough cough* I dunno...what kind of *cough* health issues do you think *cough*one would get from *cough* smoking mj?

to make a billion dollars in tax revenue are you really willing to take on an additional billions and billions of costs?

I didn't say cigarrettes were BANNED.....yet. But google "making smoking illegal" and you will find petitions, articles, etc etc on the topic. One of the main arguments? Why should we have to foot the bill for the billions of dollars spent on health care costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates