U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-15-2009, 12:36 AM
 
Location: southern california
50,394 posts, read 47,859,900 times
Reputation: 41835

Advertisements

its not bad entirely ------ it generates white guilt which in turn generates tons of cash and some pretty good sex.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 03-15-2009 at 02:05 AM..

 
Old 03-15-2009, 02:50 PM
 
603 posts, read 780,204 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Persoanlly from what I see racist now days is used as a weapon by many. Many times now it backfires tho. A racist purely ansd simply is someone who judges another by his race. There are plenty of those with all skin colors.Prejudice is something that we all have because we all have views on things be it culture ;eating or whatever.
Okay, this is pointless, and has been. Is it too much to expect people to actually understand and be able to define the words they use? This whole thread is based on a misuse of the word 'racist', as the OP admitted on page 2.
And it remains clear, after 6 or 7 more pages, that people still don't know what they're talking about....they cannot define the terms they use.....well maybe in their own minds.
For the record, racism is generally characterized by a feeling of superiority to another race. Prejudice is judging someone based on a misguided preconceived notion.
 
Old 03-15-2009, 05:46 PM
 
Location: mid wyoming
1,919 posts, read 4,015,468 times
Reputation: 1569
Must not be too bad. Our sitting president and his mate are racists. People still voted for them. I hope we can just live with that for the next four years.
 
Old 03-15-2009, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Bayou City Megaplex
2,980 posts, read 3,036,338 times
Reputation: 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Everything you say is correct. It IS human nature to adhere to your own, and that is not a "white thing". And, no, nobody has to like anyone else for any reason. But what's important, regardless of those reasons, is that we still treat each other with respect.
Is it also human nature to adhere to others "not one's own"?
 
Old 03-15-2009, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Bayou City Megaplex
2,980 posts, read 3,036,338 times
Reputation: 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
I think the reason why white people are stereotyped as racist is simple- because a significant portion still are. It is an unspoken aggression, but is AGGRESSION none the less. The difference between white bigotry and other races' bigotry is that whites seem to go OUT OF THEIR WAY to let you know: "By the way, you are not ONE OF US." Here is an very good example:
The best and the brightest « Resist racism

The backlash "racism" of many minorities is really just prejudice. We ALL have brains who seek to find patterns in our every day lives. In my life, I see a disproportionate amount of white people who actively try to exclude me due to my skin tone. That is NOT ethnocentrism. That is racism, pure and simple. However, there are many whites who are not racist one bit, but unfortunately may get the brunt of resentment and prejudice from non-white people who will stereotype them to be so. Those type of non racist white people are not the ones I am addressing, because I can tell they just see people as people, not "us" vs. "them". THOSE types of white people MAY say that they would like a child who resembles their own family, but would not be offended by another white person who likes that their kid looks half Asian/half white or by a white man loves black women, etc.

Another point to make is here is to realize that sometimes congratulating yourself for something you were born with is kind of dumb. As a Hispanic person, I always considered Latinos who seemed make their "Latinoness" the BANE of their existence as people who have severe inferiority complexes or people who have nothing else in their lives to be proud about.* Now I am proud of my heritage, but it is no worse nor better than anyone else's heritage. Culture/ethnicity is just ONE way to bond with people in this United States of America. I bond with people regularly over my love of indie rock and The Office as well. And I also do not use my heritage as an excuse to actively exclude people or look down on them if they marry "out". In this sense, how is the white person on Stormfront (who claims his cause is eurocentricity) or say the OP (maybe) going to make the point for congratulating himself for being born white? In my experience, there seems to be a very fine line between eurocentrism and white supremacy.

*I wanted to clarify that excessive cultural/ethnic tokenship by Latinos only creates resentment from others ethnic/racial groups when Latinos value their ethnicity over being an American. It also deters their assimilation into middle class American life.
Clean hit. Right on target. Too bad I couldn't rep you on that one.
 
Old 03-15-2009, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Bayou City Megaplex
2,980 posts, read 3,036,338 times
Reputation: 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Agreed. When going by the literal definition of "racism", it's not a good thing.

But let's face it....the term "racism" is used very loosely these days, and it has strayed away from it's true definition. People throw the word around all the time, accusing people of being racist when they are not.

It doesn't take much for a White person to be called racist. And a lot of the posters here are right...racism is being confused with ethnocitisim (sp?).

So I stand corrected. It's not a good thing to be racist in the truest and most literal definition of the word. But it IS okay to prefer your own race, culture, language, religion, and politics, over others. But I want to clarify this by saying that a preference for others like yourself, does not have to mean that you hate those who are different or want them persecuted, discriminated against, or eliminated.

I love Golden Retrievers and would never own any other breed of dog (if I could own one, that is...I'm allergic). But that doesn't mean I have any desire to hurt, persecute, eliminate, or otherwise disparage, poodles.

Here's a question for everybody:

I voted for Obama. I thought (still think) he is smart and capable (although time will really tell on this). His race was never an issue, and it never crossed my mind to not vote for him because he's Black.

However, I wouldn't date him. I'm not attracted to Black men. I have no qualms about having a Black president, but I wouldn't want to date a Black man because I'm not attracted to them. Does that make me racist?
Only if you try to pass your preference onto anyone else (including your kids). And you never know, I dated a white gal who said the same thing as you - until she met me of course
 
Old 03-15-2009, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Bayou City Megaplex
2,980 posts, read 3,036,338 times
Reputation: 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I just think that race is skin deep and not important. If you focus on a persons race, you are focusing on a superficial aspect of who they are. It is wiser to open up to peoples personalities instead of just focusing on thier appearence. Honestly people who are different races than you might have almost the exact same personality as you and be like your soulmate.

Race really is just a physical trait. To me, hanging out with one race is like only hanging out with tall people, or people with brown eyes, or people with hairy arms, or picking any other random physical trait and preferring people based on it.

That's why racism is ignorant to me. Racism is for people who look on the surface of things and don't go for the deeper substance. Especially when people ware different races yet they come from the same culture, then they are really just the same people.

Racism isn't wrong to me. If someone is racist I won't hate them, I just think they'e dumb.
Why oh why can't people realize this simple fact?
 
Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
14,717 posts, read 10,081,773 times
Reputation: 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post

Here's a question for everybody:

I voted for Obama. I thought (still think) he is smart and capable (although time will really tell on this). His race was never an issue, and it never crossed my mind to not vote for him because he's Black.

However, I wouldn't date him. I'm not attracted to Black men. I have no qualms about having a Black president, but I wouldn't want to date a Black man because I'm not attracted to them. Does that make me racist?
Not being attracted to and/or wanting to date/marry someone of a different race DOES NOT make you a racist. That is your preference.

The only exception is if you are Asian but don't date other Asians. That is self hatred.
 
Old 03-15-2009, 08:18 PM
 
603 posts, read 780,204 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble, but white people do not have evil and aggression programmed into them any more than other people.
Really? Then why are like 80% of serial killers white?
 
Old 03-15-2009, 08:46 PM
 
1,740 posts, read 2,130,340 times
Reputation: 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Really? Then why are like 80% of serial killers white?
Aren't 50% of murders in the US Black on Black?

Come now, are we really going to go down this road?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top