Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:55 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So what you're admitting, KB09, is that there ARE actions women can (theoretically) take that DO increase your risk of sexual assault.
Why yes, in theory. As I said before, simply being alive increases a woman's risk for sexual assault.

Quote:
Now yes, I know that you'll do anything to refuse to agree with me, but you just agreed to EXACTLY what I have been saying all along.
I agree with you previous statement that, in theory, there are actions a women takes that increases her risk for sexual assault, but, I wholeheartedly disagree with the statement that you have been saying that all along. You have been insulting every single person that disagrees with you, throwing words like "man-hater" "hysterical crazies" and such at women and generalizing an entire gender. I could've pulled from the numerous post that illustrate this, but I think I'll just go with the one that stands out the most.

Quote:
Now... I'm rather fascinated as to why you absolutely REFUSE to lay any responsibility on the woman. I see that as incredibly hypocritical. If you're not willing to take responsibility for your own actions, then don't expect to be treated as a responsible adult. They go hand in hand.
In essence, you are saying that a woman should be held partly accountable for being sexually assaulted. I'm not spinning your post, nor putting words in your mouth; it is what you said, what you posted, of your own free will.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:57 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
In essence, you are saying that a woman should be held partly accountable for being sexually assaulted. I'm not spinning your post, nor putting words in your mouth; it is what you said, what you posted, of your own free will.
So you admit that women CAN do things that DECREASE your risk of sexual assault.
And you admit that women CAN do things that INCREASE your risk of sexual assault.

But if a woman is sexually assaulted, it has NOTHING to do with anything she has done or not done?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Why yes, in theory. As I said before, simply being alive increases a woman's risk for sexual assault.
So what you're really saying is that women can do things that either increase or decrease your likelihood of sexual assault, but it's only in theory? I'm sorry, but that doesn't make much sense.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That is a completely separate issue, both of which have been widely discussed in this thread, and relate to each other only by their connection with sexual assault.

One issue is, can a woman reduce her risk of experiencing a sexual event that she does not welcome.

The other issue is, what constitutes consent in a sexual relationship.

Nothing that I have said about one of those topics has any bearing whatsoever on what I might say about the other.

If you have a quarrel with anything I say on one topic, don't try to confound it with what I say on another topic.

So we're all in agreement.

Rape is sexually violating someone without their consent. Sexual intercourse each time requires the consent of both parties. If both parties do not consent, one of the parties is being raped.

There are high-risk behaviors and situations which people can try to avoid in order to minimize their risk of being assaulte, but not all persons who are raped or assaulted are engaged in those behaviors or situations. The victim is not responsible in any way for the actions of the perpetrator(s).

A false accusation is in effect an assault, and should be punished. False accusations have a negative affect on all accusations by creating doubt about the credibility of the victim.

We all agree that false accusations are bad. We all agree that rape and assault are reprehensible. We all agree that both should be punishable. None of us think that all accusations are false, and do think that all accusations should be investigated.

Is that a summary we can all live with?

Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
You have been insulting every single person that disagrees with you, throwing words like "man-hater" "hysterical crazies" and such at women and generalizing an entire gender. I could've pulled from the numerous post that illustrate this, but I think I'll just go with the one that stands out the most.
Read their posts - assuming they haven't been deleted.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
So you admit that women CAN do things that DECREASE your risk of sexual assault.
And you admit that women CAN do things that INCREASE your risk of sexual assault.

But if a woman is sexually assaulted, it has NOTHING to do with anything she has done or not done?
Quote:
So what you're really saying is that women can do things that either increase or decrease your likelihood of sexual assault, but it's only in theory? I'm sorry, but that doesn't make much sense.
I say in theory because what is the alternative to being alive? Being dead? Okay we'll do that to prevent the risk of sexual assault. The increased risk of sexual assault are so 'duh' that they are disregarded because you'd have to be a vegetable or dead to avoid that increase. There is no alternative to reduce the increased risk of going outside. There is no alternative to reduce the increased risk of talking to a guy. There is no alternative to reduce the increased risk of going to work, sitting in a park, or any other ordinary thing you can think of. The only alternative is death or being stowed away into a facility. Only then can you effectively elliminate some of the increased risks of sexual assault. That is why I say it's in theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So we're all in agreement.

Rape is sexually violating someone without their consent. Sexual intercourse each time requires the consent of both parties. If both parties do not consent, one of the parties is being raped.

There are high-risk behaviors and situations which people can try to avoid in order to minimize their risk of being assaulte, but not all persons who are raped or assaulted are engaged in those behaviors or situations. The victim is not responsible in any way for the actions of the perpetrator(s).

A false accusation is in effect an assault, and should be punished. False accusations have a negative affect on all accusations by creating doubt about the credibility of the victim.

We all agree that false accusations are bad. We all agree that rape and assault are reprehensible. We all agree that both should be punishable. None of us think that all accusations are false, and do think that all accusations should be investigated.

Is that a summary we can all live with?
I think that's something we can all agree on and living with. Sounds good to me.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I say in theory because what is the alternative to being alive? Being dead? Okay we'll do that to prevent the risk of sexual assault. The increased risk of sexual assault are so 'duh' that they are disregarded because you'd have to be a vegetable or dead to avoid that increase. There is no alternative to reduce the increased risk of going outside. There is no alternative to reduce the increased risk of talking to a guy. There is no alternative to reduce the increased risk of going to work, sitting in a park, or any other ordinary thing you can think of. The only alternative is death or being stowed away into a facility. Only then can you effectively elliminate some of the increased risks of sexual assault. That is why I say it's in theory.
You're saying "in theory" because you don't want to admit what everybody knows - and that is that women CAN do things that increase or decrease your risk of sexual assault.

And it is NOT "in theory" only! It is in real life.

But go ahead and keep trying to spin your way out of admitting the obvious.

Since you seem so hell-bent on refusing to answer the obvious question, let me state it another way: A 20-year old girl has the choice to stay home and watch a movie on TV, or go to a strip club, drink heavily, and party all night.

Which activity increases her risk of sexual assault?

Don't try to spin it. Just answer the question.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You're saying "in theory" because you don't want to admit what everybody knows - and that is that women CAN do things that increase or decrease your risk of sexual assault.

And it is NOT "in theory" only! It is in real life.

But go ahead and keep trying to spin your way out of admitting the obvious.
*Sigh*

Okay, whatever you say. You win, contragulations; you've suceeded in insulting women in general, spinning post, and mentally wearing down your opposition. Good for you.

I'm done.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
There is no alternative to reduce the increased risk of going outside. There is no alternative to reduce the increased risk of talking to a guy. There is no alternative to reduce the increased risk of going to work, sitting in a park, or any other ordinary thing you can think of. The only alternative is death or being stowed away into a facility.
Hogwash!

Are you going to tell me there's no difference in the risk factor if you're walking outside during the middle of the day, as opposed to the middle of the night?

Are you going to tell me there's no difference in the risk factor between talking to a guy you know, in a public place, and talking to some guy you don't know in a dark back alley somewhere?

Are you going to tell me there's no difference in the risk factor between sitting in a park alone at night, or sitting in the park with friends during daylight hours?

You know better than that.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
*Sigh*

Okay, whatever you say. You win, contragulations; you've suceeded in insulting women in general, spinning post, and mentally wearing down your opposition. Good for you.

I'm done.
And you STILL cannot admit that what I'm saying is true. Amazing... And the reason you're "done" is because you're running out of wiggle & spin room.

Bottom line: You CAN increase or decrease your chances of being sexually assaulted. Period. You know it, and so do I. If you lock your doors at night, you're admitting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates