U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:23 PM

13,624 posts, read 10,729,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Hogwash!

Are you going to tell me there's no difference in the risk factor if you're walking outside during the middle of the day, as opposed to the middle of the night?

Are you going to tell me there's no difference in the risk factor between talking to a guy you know, in a public place, and talking to some guy you don't know in a dark back alley somewhere?

Are you going to tell me there's no difference in the risk factor between sitting in a park alone at night, or sitting in the park with friends during daylight hours?

You know better than that.
i agree damn straight!!!! just imagine a hot looking girl walking thru a geto at night thats a sure rape in the making..

Old 05-14-2009, 02:26 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,522,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i agree damn straight!!!! just imagine a hot looking girl walking thru a geto at night thats a sure rape in the making..
And even though you did not condone anything, or say that sexual assault or rape is okay, one of these women is sure to come along and accuse you of being a rapist.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:36 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,804,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
S

There are high-risk behaviors and situations which people can try to avoid in order to minimize their risk of being assaulte, but not all persons who are raped or assaulted are engaged in those behaviors or situations. The victim is not responsible in any way for the actions of the perpetrator(s).
Let;s change a few words and see it if still works:

There are high-risk behaviors and situations which people can try to avoid in order to minimize their risk of being killed in a car crash, but not all persons who are killed in a car crash are engaged in those behaviors or situations. (Such as speeding or DUI.) The (drunk or speeding) victim is not responsible in any way for motor vehicle accidents.

Or,

There are high-risk behaviors and situations which people can try to avoid in order to minimize their risk of being in a skiing accident, but not all persons who are in a skiing accident are engaged in those behaviors or situations. The victim is not responsible in any way for skiing accidents.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 PM

39,092 posts, read 23,248,048 times
Quote:
You're saying "in theory" because you don't want to admit what everybody knows - and that is that women CAN do things that increase or decrease your risk of sexual assault.

And it is NOT "in theory" only! It is in real life.

But go ahead and keep trying to spin your way out of admitting the obvious.

Since you seem so hell-bent on refusing to answer the obvious question, let me state it another way: A 20-year old girl has the choice to stay home and watch a movie on TV, or go to a strip club, drink heavily, and party all night.

Which activity increases her risk of sexual assault?

Don't try to spin it. Just answer the question.
Does her engagement in any high-risk behavior in any way excuse the person who assaulted her?

That's the bottom line. Not what she could have done to avoid being assaulted. The what-if's are endless. But does her behavior excuse the behavior of the person assaulting her?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:42 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,522,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
1. Does her engagement in any high-risk behavior in any way excuse the person who assaulted her?

That's the bottom line. 2. Not what she could have done to avoid being assaulted. The what-if's are endless. 1. But does her behavior excuse the behavior of the person assaulting her?
1. No. Did I say it did?
2. Are you telling me that there is nothing a woman can do to decrease your risk of being sexually assaulted?

Shoot, we lock the front and back doors of our house at night. Does that give us a 100% guarantee that we won't be robbed? No. Does it decrease the risk? Yes.

So we lock our doors. Seems to make sense to me.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Let;s change a few words and see it if still works:

There are high-risk behaviors and situations which people can try to avoid in order to minimize their risk of being killed in a car crash, but not all persons who are killed in a car crash are engaged in those behaviors or situations. (Such as speeding or DUI.) The victim is not responsible in any way for motor vehicle accidents.
This is neither logical or valid. When a woman is being assaulted, she is not in command of the vehicle involved in the crash. She is the pedestrian being mowed down by the car.

You are assigning responsibility to the woman for the man's actions. You are absolving him of responsibility, basically saying that some women provoke rapists. Because a man who's been stimulated has to take that stimulation to its conclusion? And the only way to do that is inside her, with or without her consent? Men can't finish the act by themselves?

Rapists don't require a woman to provoke them. They only require a woman to be present when they are provoked. It doesn't matter how skimpily the woman is dressed, or how much she's had to drink. Because the rapist doesn't care if she's naked or in a nun's habit. All he cares about is his ability to address his needs, using her along the way.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
1. No. Did I say it did?
2. Are you telling me that there is nothing a woman can do to decrease your risk of being sexually assaulted?

Shoot, we lock the front and back doors of our house at night. Does that give us a 100% guarantee that we won't be robbed? No. Does it decrease the risk? Yes.

So we lock our doors. Seems to make sense to me.
#2. I never said anything of the kind. Why exactly do you keep pondering that? Have you read my posts? Yes, Omaha, she can try to minimize her risks, but she'll never eliminate them. I know you agree with that. But even if she does engage in high-risk behavior, it doesn't make her to blame for the man's actions.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,454 posts, read 32,304,576 times
Closed for mod review.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:42 PM

4,149 posts, read 2,881,304 times
And closed it will stay.

This forum is called Great Debates. It is not for belittling each other, calling each other names or nitpicking. Threads will be deleted and members banned if they can not conform to the rules in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or