U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2009, 08:07 AM
 
298 posts, read 638,996 times
Reputation: 176

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I think that if proven, they should get EXACTLY the same sentence that the man would have gotten if convicted of rape.

But that would make sense, which means our brilliant legal system wouldn't consider it for a second.
Giving false accusers the same sentence is a horrible idea. Women who have been raped have a hard enough time coming forward and reporting what has happened, so this would probably add even more pressure to a woman's decision. Additionally, the crimes do no have the same consequences for the victims. Giving "false accusers" the same sentence would not be just. You don't seem to have any regard for what rape victims go through (violent rape or date rape.)

Also, I seriously doubt that there are that many false accusers. Chances are, the majority of the time a woman reports a rape but doesn't follow through with the charge it's because either she has no solid evidence or she experiences the social backlash associated with making the charge and doesn't want to suffer any more than she's already suffered.

 
Old 05-09-2009, 08:08 AM
 
298 posts, read 638,996 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Throw the book at the false accuser. Thankfully there's DNA testing now. I would seriously punish the any false accuser just as harshly as I would the accused had he been convicted. I wouldn't play.
DNA testing would really only work if 1) the woman was actually raped and accused the wrong guy or 2) the woman reported the crime immediately. In all other cases, how is DNA testing going to prove or disprove anything?
 
Old 05-09-2009, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVbulldawg View Post
You don't seem to have any regard for what rape victims go through (violent rape or date rape.)

because either she has no solid evidence .
Do you have any regard for what the falsely-accused go through?

Do you have a problem with a justice system in which solid evidence is required to send a person to prison for the rest of his life?

By the way, exactly what is "date rape"? What is your definition? No gray area, no fuzzy edges. What exactly is the difference between "date rape", and a women with self-esteem issues who went out for a good time, voluntarily drank too much and the next day, has second thoughts about what she let somebody to to her. And is the difference that you offer---is that a big and clear enough difference to distinguish a guy who gets off scot free and one who spends 20 years in prison?

Does a woman who lets a man partly undress her, or partly undresses herself, ever have a right to accuse someone of "date rape"?

Are women aware, if they wish to go out on dates and not be date-raped, that they can easily and inexpensively purchase underwear that it would be impossible to remove or penetrate without an extreme degree of physical force, which could easily be shown to be rape? A woman who leaves home for a good time wearing a lacy thong is not a convincing accuser. It's like a woman going dancing in shoes two sizes too small, and blaming her date for her sore feet.

I'm not taking about dressing attractively or alluringly or fashionably---I'm talking about dressing invisibly in such a way that the underwear comes off quickly and easily if voluntary, or with clinical signs of trauma if involuntary. Pretty easy case to prove, either way.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-09-2009 at 09:10 AM..
 
Old 05-10-2009, 07:49 AM
 
3,651 posts, read 8,308,124 times
Reputation: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVbulldawg View Post
Giving false accusers the same sentence is a horrible idea. Women who have been raped have a hard enough time coming forward and reporting what has happened, so this would probably add even more pressure to a woman's decision.
?? That makes no sense. Why? You realize I'm saying a woman would have to be proven to have made a false accusation, right? I kinda doubt someone who has actually been raped is in any danger of that.

Quote:
Additionally, the crimes do no have the same consequences for the victims. Giving "false accusers" the same sentence would not be just.
?? It would be entirely just. Without severe consequences, you have what we have now, women using this "weapon" to falsely accuse and potentially have a guy end up in prison for something he didn't do. And why not? They have precious little to lose. Further, even if the guy is acquitted, there is always some doubt in people's minds and he is damaged no matter what. But with the threat of a much more severe penalty as a possible backfire, many (most) women would think twice.

Quote:
You don't seem to have any regard for what rape victims go through (violent rape or date rape.)
Lots of people on this forum seem to just love the "I disagree with you; therefore you are clueless."

You apparently don't even know what this thread is about. FYI the title is "What do you think of women who make false accusations?" not "what do you think about woman who are raped?" I notice that your entire reply doesn't even address the question which is the topic of this thread.

Quote:
Also, I seriously doubt that there are that many false accusers.
And you came to that conclusion how? And even if true, so if there aren't "many" (whatever that means) to hell w/the guys who are put in prison or marked by society because of being set up by these women eh? Great plan.

Quote:
Chances are, the majority of the time a woman reports a rape but doesn't follow through with the charge it's because either she has no solid evidence or she experiences the social backlash associated with making the charge and doesn't want to suffer any more than she's already suffered.
"Social backlash?" I very seriously doubt it in this day and age.
 
Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 AM
 
3,651 posts, read 8,308,124 times
Reputation: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you have any regard for what the falsely-accused go through?

Do you have a problem with a justice system in which solid evidence is required to send a person to prison for the rest of his life?

By the way, exactly what is "date rape"? What is your definition? No gray area, no fuzzy edges. What exactly is the difference between "date rape", and a women with self-esteem issues who went out for a good time, voluntarily drank too much and the next day, has second thoughts about what she let somebody to to her. And is the difference that you offer---is that a big and clear enough difference to distinguish a guy who gets off scot free and one who spends 20 years in prison?

Does a woman who lets a man partly undress her, or partly undresses herself, ever have a right to accuse someone of "date rape"?

Are women aware, if they wish to go out on dates and not be date-raped, that they can easily and inexpensively purchase underwear that it would be impossible to remove or penetrate without an extreme degree of physical force, which could easily be shown to be rape? A woman who leaves home for a good time wearing a lacy thong is not a convincing accuser. It's like a woman going dancing in shoes two sizes too small, and blaming her date for her sore feet.

I'm not taking about dressing attractively or alluringly or fashionably---I'm talking about dressing invisibly in such a way that the underwear comes off quickly and easily if voluntary, or with clinical signs of trauma if involuntary. Pretty easy case to prove, either way.
I didn't even get into the "date rape" thing - well said, thx.

Again: personal accountability. It should be expected of EVERYONE.
 
Old 05-10-2009, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Tri-Cities, TN
149 posts, read 358,820 times
Reputation: 60
Women who make false rape accusations should receive the same sentence a man would for actually committing the crime of rape. I was falsely accused by a woman who apparently needed psychological help, and it nearly destroyed my life. I lost my job and most of my "friends". Luckily, the truth surfaced thanks to the help of my real friends and my name was cleared, and this woman completely lost every scrap of credibility and respect. Making a false rape accusation is just as damaging to someone as actually being raped. I suffered untold amounts of mental anguish and many sleepless nights. I lost alot of weigh due to the stress and started smoking again. I'm now in copious amounts of debt due to me losing my job, starting smoking again, and drinking heavily in order to ease some of my stress. I've struggled since then with Alcoholism. FALSE ACCUSATIONS RUIN LIVES
 
Old 05-10-2009, 02:32 PM
 
812 posts, read 2,116,244 times
Reputation: 469
those people who falsely accuse ruin it for those who legitimately accuse. the merry go round of smoke and mirrors and the vicious cycle continues as those who are even guilty also prey upon the notions and suspicion out there of being falsely accused, being the victim of slander or lies, as well as questioning the sanity of the accuser. And of course, just denial.

unfortunately, real perpetrators also are well aware of those who are also falsely accused and even play the part to get off. unbelievable? pathetic? yep.

the op stated after his experience he feels most all women do when that isn't true. if a man told him he was being falsely accused and it was all lies when in fact it wasn't and he automatically sympathized with him, that's what the perpetrator is counting on. sometimes real perpetrators are so dishonest they always believe they aren't guilty and form excuses in their minds. how would he feel if the truth was that the woman, man, teenager, child etc was actually the victim and not this man who is playing on his sympathies? just as those who falsely accuse are counting on being automatically believed because most people do NOT falsely accuse since these are painful, serious and humiliating crimes. those who falsely accuse as well as those who did the crime are both criminals and do not care about true justice.

Last edited by leaana; 05-10-2009 at 02:47 PM..
 
Old 05-10-2009, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Tri-Cities, TN
149 posts, read 358,820 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
those people who falsely accuse ruin it for those who legitimately accuse. the merry go round of smoke and mirrors and the vicious cycle continues as those who are even guilty also prey upon the notions and suspicion out there of being falsely accused, being the victim of slander or lies, as well as questioning the sanity of the accuser. And of course, just denial.

unfortunately, real perpetrators also are well aware of those who are also falsely accused and even play the part to get off. unbelievable? pathetic? yep.

the op stated after his experience he feels most all women do when that isn't true. if a man told him he was being falsely accused and it was all lies when in fact it wasn't and he automatically sympathized with him, that's what the perpetrator is counting on. sometimes real perpetrators are so dishonest they always believe they aren't guilty and form excuses in their minds. how would he feel if the truth was that the woman, man, teenager, child etc was actually the victim and not this man who is playing on his sympathies? just as those who falsely accuse are counting on being automatically believed because most people do NOT falsely accuse since these are painful, serious and humiliating crimes. those who falsely accuse as well as those who did the crime are both criminals and do not care about true justice.

Very well said
 
Old 05-11-2009, 07:45 AM
 
Location: NYC area
3,486 posts, read 5,070,290 times
Reputation: 3853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Does a woman who lets a man partly undress her, or partly undresses herself, ever have a right to accuse someone of "date rape"?
So if a woman lets a man partly undress her or partly undresses herself, that gives the man the right to sodomize her even while she is screaming and pleading with him not to do it? Gee, are you saying that once a woman has exposed her breasts to a man, her body no longer belongs to her?
 
Old 05-11-2009, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
So if a woman lets a man partly undress her or partly undresses herself, that gives the man the right to sodomize her even while she is screaming and pleading with him not to do it? Gee, are you saying that once a woman has exposed her breasts to a man, her body no longer belongs to her?
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. Her body still belongs to her, but she has entered into a tacit contract to share it.

If a woman voluntarily exposes herself intimately to a man, she is on her own in terms of the consequences for not having established a credible basis of trust beforehand. Just as the man is responsible if he lets a woman handcuff him naked to a motel bedpost, and then she leaves with his wallet and car keys.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-11-2009 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top