Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times

Advertisements

(duplicate)

Old 05-12-2009, 11:32 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The "Victim's Compensation Fund" (I am perfectly aware of it) is not a part of the judicial process. It is, in most states, administered separately from the courts, and a victim is not guaranteed compensation through the terms of the verdict and/or the sentence. All it does is bypass the necessity to use the civil courts to gain compensation for loss.
You made a blanket statement - stated as fact.

You were and are, wrong.

Admit it

Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Victim Compensation Funds, in most states, operate entirely separately from the criminal courts, and are not linked in any way. A victim of a crime may apply for compensation, which is usually limited to actual out-of-pocket costs associated with recovery from the criminal event. In no way does the court verdict or sentence address the victim's access to this fund. (Sorry about the rewrite---I was unable to find the original and thought I had lost it before posting it.)

My original statement was correct:

Our criminal justice system doesn't even allow for victims to get compensation in the event of monetary loss to a criminal.

I should have used the word "provide" instead of "allow". Of course, the courts "allow" anything at all which is not a violation of a court order. If you seek to get your compensation directly from the perpetrator, it must be done through the civil courts.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-12-2009 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 01:42 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Spare me the hyperbole, unless you're simply here to scream and yell - like two of the women on this thread whom I've put on IGNORE.
Since I'm a female, then obviously anything I say that challenges your statements qualifies as "yelling". You've been expressing a seething hatred of women for the past several pages, yet you have the nerve to accuse women of "man-hating".

Quote:
I was NOT, in that post, suggesting ANYTHING, such as "legalizing rape" should be done. So why are you assuming I was?
Well, in conjunction with jtur, you seem to be suggesting that women are either to blame for rape, or want to get raped, or are otherwise to solely bear the consequences of their own victimization. Hey -- perhaps you didn't say "legalize rape" -- but defining "rape" so narrowly as to exclude virtually every case of sexual coercion and moreover subjecting rape victims to the threat of prosecution in the event the DA can't prove the rape has the effect of legalizing rape -- if not de jure, then at least de facto.

Quote:
Why are so many of the women here completely INCAPABLE of carrying on an intelligent and rational conversation?
Why are you having a screaming fit? If anyone here said something like this about men, you'd go through the roof (although you are doing that already). Relax, I get what your opinion of women is, you told us.

Quote:
The OP of this thread was about women who make FALSE ACCUSATIONS. In other words, they LIE. And there are times when their LIES have horrible consequences.
Much of this thread, including comments by you, isn't about women lying, but about how women are supposedly asking to get raped. Perhaps you should check out the dictionary definitions of "false" and "lying" -- because it seems to me, that if a woman is forced to have sex after having dinner with her rapist, her statement to the effect that she was forced to have sex isn't a lie. If you are so worried about relevancy, then stop talking about irrelevant crap, like whether or not making out with a man makes raping a woman "understandable".

Quote:
Do a little reading about Emmet Till and get back with me, before you accuse me of wanting to legalize rape.
Emmett Till was lynched by men. Even had he done what the woman claimed he had done, his murder was still disgusting, criminal and indefensible. The men who murdered him did so deliberately and calculatedly, so don't you try to lay the blame entirely at the woman's feet -- in fact, in that particular case, it is the murderers who carry the lion's share of the blame. These men were rational human beings who knew exactly what they were doing. (And, please, spare me the protestations of how men can't help murdering an alleged rapist. I put that nonsense in the same category as arguments that men can't help raping when they are horny.)

Old 05-12-2009, 01:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Why are you having a screaming fit? If anyone here said something like this about men, you'd go through the roof (although you are doing that already). Relax, I get what your opinion of women is, you told us.
If anything is clear, that's it...along with his support for rape when the woman is asking for it, of course.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:48 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times
Quote:
Since I'm a female, then obviously anything I say that challenges your statements qualifies as "yelling". You've been expressing a seething hatred of women for the past several pages, yet you have the nerve to accuse women of "man-hating".

Well, in conjunction with jtur, you seem to be suggesting that women are either to blame for rape, or want to get raped, or are otherwise to solely bear the consequences of their own victimization. Hey -- perhaps you didn't say "legalize rape" -- but defining "rape" so narrowly as to exclude virtually every case of sexual coercion and moreover subjecting rape victims to the threat of prosecution in the event the DA can't prove the rape has the effect of legalizing rape -- if not de jure, then at least de facto.

Much of this thread, including comments by you, isn't about women lying, but about how women are supposedly asking to get raped. Perhaps you should check out the dictionary definitions of "false" and "lying" -- because it seems to me, that if a woman is forced to have sex after having dinner with her rapist, her statement to the effect that she was forced to have sex isn't a lie. If you are so worried about relevancy, then stop talking about irrelevant crap, like whether or not making out with a man makes raping a woman "understandable".

Emmett Till was lynched by men. Even had he done what the woman claimed he had done, his murder was still disgusting, criminal and indefensible. The men who murdered him did so deliberately and calculatedly, so don't you try to lay the blame entirely at the woman's feet -- in fact, in that particular case, it is the murderers who carry the lion's share of the blame. These men were rational human beings who knew exactly what they were doing. (And, please, spare me the protestations of how men can't help murdering an alleged rapist. I put that nonsense in the same category as arguments that men can't help raping when they are horny.)
Obviously you're incapable of carrying on an intelligent rational conversation, without screaming, yelling, lying and accusing. Thanks for making the obvious even more obvious.

And just so you know... I've been married for well over 25 years (probably longer than you've been alive) to an incredibly INTELLIGENT, STRONG and BEAUTIFUL woman. I have grown children, including a daughter. You're stupidly wrong to assert that I'm some sort of woman hater. But since it makes you feel better to scream such nonsense, go ahead.

I am, however, not at all fond of conniving women who tease, lie, make up stories, accuse and behave as total idiots and sub-human garbage - then always blame everything on men.

Now you're going the route of Braunwyn & helenejen - two other screaming, illogical, hateful women: IGNORE.

I hope you grow up some day. Until then, byebye.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:52 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,547 times
Quote:
Obviously you're incapable of carrying on an intelligent rational conversation, without screaming, yelling, lying and accusing.
Hey, at least I am capable of addressing my adversary's statements on the merits -- without availing myself of the use of ALLCAPS.

Quote:
Thanks for making the obvious even more obvious.
Your raging misogyny? You are welcome. Elucidating the obvious is what I do best.

Quote:
And just so you know... I've been married for well over 25 years (probably longer than you've been alive) to an incredibly INTELLIGENT, STRONG and BEAUTIFUL woman. I have grown children, including a daughter.
When you describe a woman as "intelligent and strong", I take it that refers to her never having an opinion of her own and always deferring to yours? Anyway, I really don't give a fig about your personal life (and by the same token, my age is none of your business). My assessment of your values is based on your statements.

Quote:
You're stupidly wrong to assert that I'm some sort of woman hater. But since it makes you feel better to scream such nonsense, go ahead.
It isn't nonsense at all -- it makes perfect sense. Hating women in general as some nebulous mass of "sluts" and "[blank]-teases" is a lot easier than hating specific individuals who are related to you. This is why most closet anti-semites have Jewish friends and always mention that fact as some kind of "proof" that they aren't anti-semitic. Misogynists are the same way. It's perfectly doable to marry a woman and even like her and to be reasonably good to one's daughter, while hating women in general.

Quote:
I am, however, not at all fond of conniving women who tease, lie, make up stories, accuse and behave as total idiots and sub-human garbage - then always blame everything on men.
Huh. I guess Malleus Maleficarum is a favorite read of yours. In any event, you are being fickle: a minute ago you complained about irrelevancy on this thread -- but now you are complaining about how women (which is everyone, I suppose, except your wife and daughter) "tease [...], accuse and behave as total idiots and sub-human garbage". So, by your own statement, you are not fond of any woman who accuses a man of rape, even if the accusation is truthful. You also apparently add to the umbrella of "lying" any act that you believe makes a woman "sub-human garbage". Judging by the general tone of your statement, I guess any woman who crosses or challenges you is "sub-human garbage" that should be raped. As for "blaming everything on men" -- when a person knowingly and intentionally commits an act of violence, that person is entirely to blame for it. No ifs, buts or vilifying the victim.

Quote:
Now you're going the route of Braunwyn & helenejen. IGNORE.

NOT.

Quote:
I hope you grow up some day. Until then, byebye.
Don't kid yourself -- grown women obviously aren't to your taste. Women who self-infantilize by always deferring to rape apologists seem to be more your kind.

Last edited by Redisca; 05-12-2009 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Moderator: Perhaps it is time to close this thread.

The only thing going on is personal attacks. Nothing constructive.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:37 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:

NOT.
Indeed. I'm crying my eyes out that some random old man in the midwest is putting me on ignore.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:44 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
I think anyone who makes false accusations undermines our justice system and should be punished. But I think the OP's ideas about the number of women who make false accusations is, well, incorrect. Probably the majority of women don't make any accusations at all, because they are way too busy blaming themselves. Because they buy into the mindset that jtur has been stating, that they are to blame. They are to blame because they trusted the wrong man. They are to blame because they had too much to drink. They are to blame because they forgot to lock the patio door. They are to blame because their clothes were too skimpy, because they danced suggestively, because they didn't fight back hard enough, because they didn't say no loud enough. Women blame themselves at an overwhelming rate when they've been raped. When a woman falsely accuses someone of this, she damages the credibility of those women who are brave enough and strong enough to report the crime. But there is something else going on in these extremely rare cases, and the false accusation is just the end-game. Quite often, there are additional crimes being committed, on both sides of the accusation. But those incidents are so rare, they should not cloud how we view women who do choose to pursue charges, because being raped is only the beginning of the humiliation. No matter how sympathetic the police are, no matter how supportive one's spouse or family. Being raped is about being used and violated. It is humiliating to be raped, and humiliating to have to then share that humiliation with law officers, a justice system, medical professionals and even loved ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates