Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times

Advertisements

false accusations are used a lot not just by women. an EEOC compliant can stop a promotion in a jiffy. does not have to be true.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I was the victim of a false harrassment charge..It was awful, I ended up needing psychiatric treatment because of it. After it was proven that I was guiltless, the firm I was working for fired her and sued her for defamation and the costs her lies incurred. She ened up losing her house, her car, her furniture. I ended up with a long term sense of anguish---by the way--I got none of the money from the lawsuit. It all went to the firms lawyers.
I'm sorry you had to go through that.

At least the firm went after her for the false complaint. There are far too many organizations (private, public and nonprofit) that treat sexual harrasment as such a hot potato they would rather let employees be screwed than stand up to the person making false complaints. It's good that your firm actually stood up to the accuser.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:19 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,832 times
Here's an excellent example of what an allegation can do:

UCF Fraternity Fights To Stay On Campus - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando (http://www.wesh.com/news/18964933/detail.html - broken link)

5 fraternity members from UCF went on a trip to oxford, Ohio..... and some woman claimed that they sexually assaulted her. The police didn't find anything to support her claims, and she backed off once informed of the danger of filing a false report. Many think she made the whole thing up.

Back in Orlando, UCF is attempting to completly shut the enitre fraternity down based on this and to expel the 5 fraternity members involved. All over an unsubstantiated allegation that is most likely completley fradulent.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:50 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerman View Post
Quite a touch subject, but here it is. Women have a long history of making false rape accusations on men just because they were angry or for no apparent reason. The man's reputation is ruined probably for life.

These types of women give other women a bad reputation. It left me to believe that all women do this.

What do you think of women who make false rape accusations?
If that false accusation is proven in court, they should get whatever sentence a convicted rapist would have gotten. As it stand, she typiclly has little to lose, and - like child custody cases - things still weigh heavily in the woman's favor.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:09 PM

177 posts, read 706,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
If that false accusation is proven in court, they should get whatever sentence a convicted rapist would have gotten. As it stand, she typiclly has little to lose, and - like child custody cases - things still weigh heavily in the woman's favor.
I hate the laws as much as them.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:21 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerman View Post
I hate the laws as much as them.
...this is the case of a few bad apples spoiling the whole barrell. Very few women do this--just like very few men commit rapes. Unfortunately for those who are victims, "very few" feels like "all."

Old 05-05-2009, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,589 times
Default You're going Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Barring rare cases of mental illness which may cause one's priorities to become totally skewed, a woman has NOTHING to gain by making a false rape accusation -- NOTHING. I don't know what woman would enjoy having the defense attorney put her on the stand and call her a **** for weeks on end. Coming out about rape can easily cost a woman her job (there is nothing illegal in firing someone for being raped or coming forward with the accusation), subject her to a deluge of death threats, ruin her relationship, and make her an object of ostracism in her family and social circle. Moreover, there is absolutely no pecuniary gain from a successful rape prosecution. In fact, rape is UNDER-reported, precisely because many rape victims don't want to ruin their lives even further by sticking their necks out. And when they do stick their necks out, rapists often go free anyway.

Ultimately, people who claim to be "concerned" about a supposedly high number of rape accusations are, in reality, rape apologists, who define the crime so extremely narrowly, that virtually no sexual assault can be considered rape. (See, for example, how South Dakota Senator Bill Napoli [URL="http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/law/jan-june06/abortion_3-03.html"]defines rape[/URL]: "A real-life description to me would be a rape victim, brutally raped, savaged. The girl was a virgin. She was religious. She planned on saving her virginity until she was married. She was brutalized and raped, sodomized as bad as you can possibly make it, and is impregnated. I mean, that girl could be so messed up, physically and psychologically, that carrying that child could very well threaten her life." So according to Senator Napoli, if a religious virgin is "brutalized, raped and sodomized as bad as you can possibly make it", but doesn't get pregnant, it's not rape -- and if she comes forward with an accusation, it's false and she is a liar and belongs in jail.) Given that in other threads, the OP claimed that women are to blame for everything bad in society, and that women are also to blame for domestic violence against them (in fact, he seemed to suggest that domestic violence victims in fact victimize their beaters by forcing them to be violent in response to provocation), I have no doubt that he belongs in that school of thought that claims there is no rape and that rape victims are all sluts who had it coming.

This response is off topic. The post was about false accusations not about True Rape Victims.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
A great deal has been said in a lot of thrads in a lot of forums ab out the 'barbarity' of the criminal justice system in countries like Saudi Arabia. The part that gets left out, though, is the fact that there are virtually no "false accusations" in Saudi Arabia. The reason? If a person is punished upon your accusation, and it is later found that your accusation is false, you are then subjected to exactly the same punishment. If you falsely accuse someone of stealing, and his hand is cut off, then your hand will be cut off if it is later found that your accusation is false.

This might not be a bad idea in this country. If somebody serves jail time on your accusation, and it is false, you go directly to jail for the same term. It wouild be hell to enforce, but would certainly make wholesale accusers think twice.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
i think false accusations are not the monopoly of women and that people do them because they work and bek there is no penalty for their use. certainly many men have gone to jail who were innnocent.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
False accusations by children are even more serious. A few decades ago, it became so outrageous that there was a series of highly publicized cases in which perfectly innocent people had their lives ruined by the abject refusal of courts to even entertain the possibility that a 5-year old child can be persuaded under intense pressure to tell a little white lie with no understanding of the import of it. It went so far that the Sixth Amendment right of a defendant "to be confronted with the witness against him" was simply ignored out of hand without even a serious judicial challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates