U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,721,588 times

Advertisements

I can't believe this retarded thread is still going.

Oh well...here goes...

Obama is really a secret Muslim. He's going to force Islam on everyone in the United States and turn this country into the United Islamic States of America (UISA). After that, he's going to turn Castro on our asses and turn us all Communist too, redesigning the US flag to incorporate the hammer & sickle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,501,488 times
President Obama is not African-American. He is American. If he had been born in Kenya like his father, rather than Hawaii, then he would be African-American. And, by the way, African-Americans need not have brown skin. My husband used to work with a Caucasian woman who was born in South Africa, emigrated to the United States, and took the oath of citizenship. She was just as African-American as the dark-skinned, Nigerian-born, American citizen who worked in an adjacent office.

And, once again, President Obama has said numerous times that he is a practicing Christian, regardless of his middle name.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 05-08-2009 at 10:45 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 04:26 PM

485 posts, read 903,138 times
Default true

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
President Obama is not African-American. He is American. If he had been born in Kenya like his father, rather than Hawaii, then he would be African-American. And, by the way, African-Americans need not have brown skin. My husband used to work with a Caucasian woman who was born in South Africa, emigrated to the United States, and took the oath of citizenship. She was just as African-American as the dark-skinned, Nigerian-born, American citizen who worked in an adjacent office.

And, once again, President Obama has said numerous times that he is a practicing Christian, regardless of his middle name.
I believe that! It is the name that would make a person stop and wonder? I think even if he was born abroad he is better than the last guy we had in office!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:59 PM

I think all politcians have skeletons in the closet like most people! To get the job he has you have to tell people what they want to hear! Everything he says is not the gospel...You cant take every thing we have been told to the bank YET!

Old 05-09-2009, 06:12 PM

14,806 posts, read 18,801,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
I know better than to ask this!How can a person of mixed race decide to be just black?Such as the first black ms.america was mixed race!Does it just look better in the history books?Or can you claim any race you have in you?Will history read first mixed president?I don't think so,Or first muslim president?[I am an no way trying to start a race arguement]God bless our president either way it is!I would like to hear what others think about this?Please no insulting of each other!God bless everyone..
I don't remember Obama calling himself "black"
if you want to go into technicalities...
Obama is the first African-American president (1/2 African, 1/2 American)

Old 05-09-2009, 06:33 PM

Default right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
True..But in some peoples heads they are saying he is the first black prez and are leaving out the white part! And are now pulling the one drop rule out to claim a victory for one race of people! But i agree in most eyes he is a black man and i see the point of view they are coming from...either way he is a very good guy or seems to be at this point at his job...And he has broke grounds as far as color goes! It dont seem like we are so devided by race as a few years ago?And he will always be a stand out president in history years from now!I hope for other reasons than race or religion...

Old 05-09-2009, 11:30 PM

We should have had Oprah run for the job and we would have had the bases loaded...And probably a good president!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:45 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,501,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I respectfully disagree. President Obama would be 1/2 African only if he had been born in Africa, which is not the case. If my mother was born in Europe, does that make me European-American? Of course not. I was born in the United States; therefore, I am American. End of story.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 05-10-2009 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-10-2009, 03:14 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,891,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post

You can say whatever you want, but you are wrong. Obama is African American. If he had been born in Kenya, he'd be Kenyan-American. African Americans are descended either from those brought involuntarily to the American South (and, to a lesser extent, the North) and are part of the established mixed African, European and Native culture that arose mostly as a result of slavery. Obama fits the other description of African American - a person of black African descent who has voluntarily identified with, or assimilated into, this aforementioned African American culture. Neither of those people you mentioned - the South African person or the Nigerian person - are African American. They are African born people who took American citizenship. They are not part of African American history or culture. Sorry. One is Nigerian-American, and the other is South African-American.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:36 PM

755 posts, read 1,994,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
You can say whatever you want, but you are wrong. Obama is African American. If he had been born in Kenya, he'd be Kenyan-American. African Americans are descended either from those brought involuntarily to the American South (and, to a lesser extent, the North) and are part of the established mixed African, European and Native culture that arose mostly as a result of slavery. Obama fits the other description of African American - a person of black African descent who has voluntarily identified with, or assimilated into, this aforementioned African American culture. Neither of those people you mentioned - the South African person or the Nigerian person - are African American. They are African born people who took American citizenship. They are not part of African American history or culture. Sorry. One is Nigerian-American, and the other is South African-American.
If he was born in Kenya he would be Kenyan-American? but since he was born here, in the U.S. he gets to use his ancestors to be African American? but the people who were born in Africa aren't African American?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or