U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2009, 10:14 AM
 
Location: San Salvador, El Salvador
567 posts, read 1,318,437 times
Reputation: 261

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
I know better than to ask this!How can a person of mixed race decide to be just black?Such as the first black ms.america was mixed race!Does it just look better in the history books?Or can you claim any race you have in you?Will history read first mixed president?I don't think so,Or first muslim president?[I am an no way trying to start a race arguement]God bless our president either way it is!I would like to hear what others think about this?Please no insulting of each other!God bless everyone..

Simple.. They're accepted by the black community as being black, they relate with being black and often seen by most whites as black. They're treated no differently than the person who has two black parents.

Muslim? Obama is Christian, enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,078,866 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
I know better than to ask this!How can a person of mixed race decide to be just black?Such as the first black ms.america was mixed race!Does it just look better in the history books?Or can you claim any race you have in you?Will history read first mixed president?I don't think so,Or first muslim president?[I am an no way trying to start a race arguement]God bless our president either way it is!I would like to hear what others think about this?Please no insulting of each other!God bless everyone..
Being half Black and half White, you pretty much are put into a category...for better or worse. Even though Obama and I are equally White as to Black, we are both Black in the US, White in many parts of Africa, Coloured in South Africa, mulatto in Latin America. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. Also, he's not Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 10:23 AM
 
485 posts, read 903,529 times
Reputation: 100
Default no

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
So what you are saying is that because of his name, he is Muslim? So no matter what you parents name you, then if it's a common name of a culture that practices one faith you are that faith permanently no matter what faith's services or values you practice? Isn't that...well, psychotic?

I should tell my friend Sanjeif he needs to be Hindu now, even though his family converted and has been in the US as practicing Christians for nearly 80 years. I need to tell him to change his name to Jimmy Joe Bob or something more common to American so he can be a Christian, I guess it's a requirement now.

It's a stupid urban legend people made up because they wanted to find something to crow about, and not get dismissed as a racist. Since Muslim extremists have been the target of many anti terrorist actions they are a good effigy to attack.
Not what i am saying,Just asking!this i a guy who i never heard of before untill around a year ago?Don't twist it and tell your buddy habbib or whatever his name the wrong info!Don't want him to he is a christian!Thats his moms job? But this is nothing to do with hankiechief,But go tell what the heck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 10:28 AM
 
Location: NJ/NY
10,634 posts, read 16,213,780 times
Reputation: 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
That seems to be the million dollar question that makes people mad when we put it on the table!When anyone talks about him not all but a lot of black people seem to get very defensive over it!Like someone is trying to steal there glory!when thats not the case!like telling others to get over it!
No, he is not a Muslim.

Is Barack Obama a Muslim? - Urban Legends
snopes.com: Who Is Barack Obama?
http://isbarackobamamuslim.com/
http://www.barackobama.com/factcheck...a_muslim_1.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 10:31 AM
 
Location: NJ/NY
10,634 posts, read 16,213,780 times
Reputation: 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
Not what i am saying,Just asking!this i a guy who i never heard of before untill around a year ago?Don't twist it and tell your buddy habbib or whatever his name the wrong info!Don't want him to he is a christian!Thats his moms job? But this is nothing to do with hankiechief,But go tell what the heck?
Why would you call him Habib? Hankiechief?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 AM
 
485 posts, read 903,529 times
Reputation: 100
Default when the day ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Being half Black and half White, you pretty much are put into a category...for better or worse. Even though Obama and I are equally White as to Black, we are both Black in the US, White in many parts of Africa, Coloured in South Africa, mulatto in Latin America. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. Also, he's not Muslim.
There is such thing as history!It looks like you have read a few history books to know those things?So at the end of the day the next generations have to look in the history books!Whould it read the same if printed today as it would 200 years from now?THERE HAS BEEN PRESIDENTS WHO HAVE TOLD LIES BEFORE! not saying thats the case here,But i sure wouldnt start writting everthing down without a eraser! because i think we will learn more!like where he was born?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 AM
 
365 posts, read 1,023,931 times
Reputation: 173
Where do people get the idea he is:
A) Muslim? Or an 'Arab Muslim' as one poster stated.
I could maybe see you reaching and say Indonesian Muslim, or Keyan Muslim...
B) Somehow "deciding" to be see as Black? As far as I know, he fully admits he's bi-racial. In America there's been this whole "one drop rule" for centuries thats been used to oppress & discriminate against black people. Now the president is "black" - lets conveniently ignore this rule & make it look like he's playing favorites.

BTW: I don't think anybody here was actually defending OJ. They were alluding to the obsession (i.e. panties in a twist) some people had over OJ's aquital.

Last edited by west_end_don; 03-19-2009 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 AM
 
485 posts, read 903,529 times
Reputation: 100
Default cant spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Why would you call him Habib? Hankiechief?
i knew his friend was some kind of name like that,and i used a alias to protect him!But i don,t know his friend so as far as i am concerned it can be joe or bill or the other names he suggest changing it to!But go ahead and put your twist on it,i know your sittin back with a pop shot!so roll with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 11:18 AM
 
Location: NJ/NY
10,634 posts, read 16,213,780 times
Reputation: 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
i knew his friend was some kind of name like that,and i used a alias to protect him!But i don,t know his friend so as far as i am concerned it can be joe or bill or the other names he suggest changing it to!But go ahead and put your twist on it,i know your sittin back with a pop shot!so roll with it.
Urban Dictionary: habib
A derogatory name used when referring a person of middle eastern descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 12:11 PM
 
422 posts, read 555,406 times
Reputation: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?Sorry you can't snapp your finger and have it your way,The reason i said i should not ask is because of racist people who are always on the defence?Which apears struck a nerve with you!YOUR EVEN PRO O.J You post like we are trying to keep a brother down and that 100 year old crap!This is the real world with real questions! You act like it is a sin to question what is in your eyes a black man! You cant have a normal discusion with a person like you!it appears you don't like white people[honky] to me i can say that because i am a honky,I have talked to unreasonable people like you before!Get over it and put the race card in your pocket and stop trying to fuel riots and tell us o.j is a good guy!As a matter of fact i was staying at the palace station and saw the wanna be gangsta/killers posey got arrested and people of all race was clapping and chearing,So put the everything black is o.k weapon away it looks like somethig only racist would say!And rodney king was by no means a angel!a drug fueled criminal like o.j
Not pro OJ or pro Obama. The OJ obsession is pretty old and lame and I see the same thing happening with the president. You have so many "questions" about Obama but aren't you a little late? The election is over. Perhaps many aren't obsessing because they don't believe he holds their fate in his hands. I don't. You claim loudly that you are white but your grammatical errors suggest that english is your second language and that your first is asian in nature. Everything black is OK is as ridiculous as everything black is suspect. Rodney King was no angel but I find it interesting that you think what happened to him was acceptable. Its pretty easy to subdue and cuff one "drug fueled criminal" esp if there is a GROUP of police trained to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top