Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:00 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,237,481 times

Advertisements

Just a poll of sorts, how many wish to be cremated as opposed to burial?

I always assumed I would be buried, as have most of my family been buried. But now I'm rethinking it, especially in light of some recent events in a cemetery in Chicago, actually dug up the bodies and re-sold the plots! I have 6 relatives buried in various cemeteries, just due to logistics, I'm the only one who takes care of their graves. Since they're all in different states its difficult, sometimes I get people to go by and take pictures, just to make sure their graves are ok.

But death is forever---regardless of what you do with a body. I'm starting to re-think my "last wishes" I wouldn't want my kids burdened with tending my grave years later. Also, you read about bodies being dug up for DNA samples for whatever reason. When I'm gone, I want that to be my final act, not digging me up for whatever weird reason, or worrying about my grave by future generations.

Also, its much cheaper!

So, seems like a morbid topic, and really, I'm not in a morbid mood, just wondering, how others feel? Lets start a thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 05:13 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
My worst dread is that I can be reconstructed by some future tyrant who needs an army an slaves who can be kept alive for hundred of years. I don't want any part of my body hanging around that they can reconstitute and apply the whip to.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 PM

25,260 posts, read 18,405,027 times
I think I've decided that I want to be buried at sea in the deepest parts. That way, the remains can be of some use to... something down there. Perhaps a humpback anglerfish? Just think of the joy in finding a new source of food (albeit temporary) down in its dark, cold world. A gift from above...

Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,237,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My worst dread is that I can be reconstructed by some future tyrant who needs an army an slaves who can be kept alive for hundred of years. I don't want any part of my body hanging around that they can reconstitute and apply the whip to.

Don't make a zombie out of me

Old 07-13-2009, 05:57 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,330,136 times
My family has a plot, but there are more of us than spaces. For a time, I thought about cremation, after any useful organs are harvested for transplant. (On that note, can I specify that they go to children and not to aging rock stars who have abused their bodies for the past three decades? I know, just wishful thinking on my part.) Now I am seriously thinking about a green burial: no embalming, pine box. My inspiration is a children's book, The Tenth Good Thing About Barney. About half my pre-school class lost a grandparent or caregiver one year; we read that book a lot! It is about a little boy who plans a funeral for his cat. His mother suggests he tell ten good things about the cat in his eulogy. He can only think of nine things until several weeks later when his father is planting flowers around the same tree where Barney was buried. His father explains while telling the boy about fertilizer that decaying things give back to nature and help things grow. The little boy holds another funeral because now he has ten good things to say about Barney. I'd like to be like Barney and know that even in my death, I am giving back to Mother Nature and helping something grow.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:42 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,683,924 times
Cremated, then to be made in to a well-cast bird bath.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,602,843 times
Since the funeral industry feeds on the grief of those left behind I will be cremated and cast to the wind for God to recycle into the earth.

There is no way this side of hell that I will allow, or burden, my family with all the trappings of The American Funeral Industry costly disposal of the human body. Burn me up, recycle my ashes 'cause my soul has left the building already!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,038,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think I've decided that I want to be buried at sea in the deepest parts. That way, the remains can be of some use to... something down there. Perhaps a humpback anglerfish? Just think of the joy in finding a new source of food (albeit temporary) down in its dark, cold world. A gift from above...
Thats it...Im never going deep sea fishing again ! I certainly dont wish to bite into a morsel of your rearend .

Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM

On this subject, I think we place WAY too much emphasis and sacredness on the dead/empty/life-less Human Body that was once occupied ; So many people have a totally distorted view of the dead persons remains .. such as phrases like : 'Well, he/she can rest in peace now' --- how does a life-less/unresponsive/ emtpy Body experience or discover 'peace and rest' while 6 feet down when it is completely void of feelings, thoughts, or awareness ?! It matters NOT how a dead body is disposed of ,at least practically speaking ; what IS important, is the next residence the indestructible/conscious/eternal Soul that temporarily inhabitated that Body , end up at . As for that highest of all issues...im going to trust in what Jesus Christ taught since he claimed and proved to be the actual Creator of the Universe (not from a religious framework, but, from a rational/evidential standpoint -- and that is available for all whom truly wish to investigate it . Given the potential enormity of the issue, it behooves us to do so immediately, deeply, and sincerely... instead of putting it off 'till later') . Regards.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:38 AM

For those who desire to look into eternity, deeper than before : http://www.impactapologetics.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=455 (broken link) . Regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates