U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,715,448 times

Advertisements

I think churches should be taxed just like every other business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 09:41 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,453,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I think churches should be taxed just like every other business.
I assume then, that you're okay with taxing synagogues too, right?

Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I assume then, that you're okay with taxing synagogues too, right?
That would be correct.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
That would be correct.
Cool. I appreciate the fact that you're consistent.

However, I'll still maintain that trying to tax churches would be an extremely foolish venture - and would be foolish on multiple levels.

I'm not trying to argue with you, and I've already stated why I believe that, so I won't belabor the point.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Cool. I appreciate the fact that you're consistent.

However, I'll still maintain that trying to tax churches would be an extremely foolish venture - and would be foolish on multiple levels.

I'm not trying to argue with you, and I've already stated why I believe that, so I won't belabor the point.

Don't get me wrong--I don't think it would ever fly politically....but what is "right" and what is "politically achievable" are usually somewhat incongruent.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong--I don't think it would ever fly politically....but what is "right" and what is "politically achievable" are usually somewhat incongruent.
I think you're right. Whichever politician pushed for such a thing would be committing political suicide.

But I also think that, when it is really thought through, it becomes more and more obvious that it's a bad move. Talk about violating the separation of church & state!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:01 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,306,387 times
Omaha taxing the REAL ESTATE of a church is not violation of separation of church and state. Its a building - and you could just as well (poorly ) make the opposite argument - that allowing churches free services not only violates that separation but is in a sense having the state fund religion (violating the establishment clause).

Old 03-29-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Omaha taxing the REAL ESTATE of a church is not violation of separation of church and state. Its a building - and you could just as well (poorly ) make the opposite argument - that allowing churches free services not only violates that separation but is in a sense having the state fund religion (violating the establishment clause).
I'm fully aware of all that.

I'm also asking people to THINK IT THROUGH.

First of all, if that were ever to happen, there would be all kinds of churches that would simply sell their property and rent space elsewhere - or meet in homes. In addition, every property assessment would be contested, making that part of it a legal nightmare. In short, what communities would net - by way of property tax revenue - would be virtually non-existent.

Second, such a move would also demand that all faith-based organizations ALSO be taxed. And that is going to include virtually every single prestigious college and university in the country. Think about it. Harvard, Princeton, et. al. - all church colleges. How is it going to fly when they are suddenly told they have to pony up (in their case) hundreds of thousands of dollars per year in property tax? And would you tax churches, but not church-connected colleges? You couldn't.

Third, such a move would - for practical reasons - remove ANY authority the government has to tell churches to stay out of politics. As a result, this would give churches license to be openly and aggressively open in political campaigning. Do you want that?

The bottom line, to me, is this: It's a horrible idea - but not for the reasons the "anti-church" folks think. Such a move would really not penalize churches. It would open a Pandora's Box that would be impossible to close. And the same people who demanded churches pay taxes would loathe the net result.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:20 PM

485 posts, read 903,138 times
Default yep

Quote:
I'm fully aware of all that.

I'm also asking people to THINK IT THROUGH.

First of all, if that were ever to happen, there would be all kinds of churches that would simply sell their property and rent space elsewhere - or meet in homes. In addition, every property assessment would be contested, making that part of it a legal nightmare. In short, what communities would net - by way of property tax revenue - would be virtually non-existent.

Second, such a move would also demand that all faith-based organizations ALSO be taxed. And that is going to include virtually every single prestigious college and university in the country. Think about it. Harvard, Princeton, et. al. - all church colleges. How is it going to fly when they are suddenly told they have to pony up (in their case) hundreds of thousands of dollars per year in property tax? And would you tax churches, but not church-connected colleges? You couldn't.

Third, such a move would - for practical reasons - remove ANY authority the government has to tell churches to stay out of politics. As a result, this would give churches license to be openly and aggressively open in political campaigning. Do you want that?

The bottom line, to me, is this: It's a horrible idea - but not for the reasons the "anti-church" folks think. Such a move would really not penalize churches. It would open a Pandora's Box that would be impossible to close. And the same people who demanded churches pay taxes would loathe the net result.
That does make more sence to me.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 PM

846 posts, read 1,115,312 times
There is no seperation of church and state in the Constitution.

Only thing the Constitution says is that the Feds cannot interfere with religion. The IRS has no right to tell a church what they can or cannot say about political campaigns as that is interfering with religion. They do it but it is a clear viloation of the Constitution.

Also, I was always under the impression that non profits of any kind were exempted from taxes.

NCAA is a non profit. I know some schools like Ohio State, Texas and Florida make around 40 million a year profit off sports and pay no taxes on them. Should we start taxing them?

Don't non profits have to file paperwork with the IRS to keep their nonprofit status?

And the question we should be asking is why is anyone paying property taxes in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or