U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:17 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,307,527 times

Advertisements

Jack you aren' t intelligent enough to understand that no matter which side you take in a debate , you make the other look good. How can someone grow up in this country and not take the time to learn our language? There are adult education classes- find one!

Greatday you don't understand Separation of Church and State. How does making them pay tax like everyone else violate this clause ( this I have to see!)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 06:00 PM

10,425 posts, read 43,516,050 times
For those who think churches should NOT be exempt from taxation, how do you feel about the Televangelists? That is considered a church and they are tax exempt.

And all, not some or a few but all Televangelists churches are fraud. They are stealing billions from the most gulable people in our society. Those who are old or poor and down on their luck and go to these places asking the hokus pokus man on the moon to help them through the bad times.

How do they sleep preying upon these old, poor and helpless people? I guess pretty good huh.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:43 PM

485 posts, read 903,229 times
I think some churches a sruggling right now?I know of one that has shut it's doors.It had about 100 people or so that went to it every sunday!If we drill the churches in the ground it may put kids minds in other places?So i think churches more than ever need help?[at least some do]I think they should bring prayer back in school also,And let the children who do not beieve in it do their own thing while others worship!I think that would be fare to all!

Last edited by JACK SAWYER; 03-19-2009 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,419,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I just received another email ranting about having prayer in school and I wondered why do Churches get a free ride - meaning those who don't believe have to pay for the believers.

Those who either don't attend church or have their own private beliefs, are forced to subsidize these buildings. The churches receive all the city services .. and pay for none of them.
When you put it this way it doesn't seem fair. It is true that the people that utilize the facilities are benefiting and those that aren't are paying for it as well.

I remember working in the Finance Department of a municipality, where the FinCom was discussing whether or not the DPW should continue to plow the church parking lots in the winter. I don't recall what they decided to do.....

Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,466,057 times
Churches should pay for municiple services. Why shouldn't they. Few churches really step up when it comes to community service so they aren't of any use to the general community.

Look at those so called churches that make MILLIONS. Why shouldn't they pay? Those who run those BUSINESSES line their pockets with millions of dollars.

So hand over some tax money and pay your water bill. Plow your own da** parking lot.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 PM

422 posts, read 555,212 times
Last time I checked churches do pay utility bills and very large ones. Anywho, on topic I feel that a strict accounting should be made and churches could be exempt on buildings, NOT Bentleys. The flock should care for the Pastor and his family. NO ONE else

Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 PM

485 posts, read 903,229 times
Default like joel osteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Churches should pay for municiple services. Why shouldn't they. Few churches really step up when it comes to community service so they aren't of any use to the general community.

Look at those so called churches that make MILLIONS. Why shouldn't they pay? Those who run those BUSINESSES line their pockets with millions of dollars.

So hand over some tax money and pay your water bill. Plow your own da** parking lot.
I kind agree,with guy's like joel osteen who great to listen,but does make a lot of money off of the church and millions off the books he wrights,Wich he thinks is his private income?If it wasn.t for the t.v program nobody would buy,And what does he do with all those millions?In his case he should spread it around i think,It's like his heart started out in the right place and greed took over,The other day i got one of those emails from his church telling what good they do for others!At the end it ask for a donation and a place to leave a comment,So i figured i would try something!And some may think it's wrong but i could not help myself,I told them of a family who was loosing teir home and that i helped what i could[and i was telling the truth]And i told him they was in need of three hundred dollars to make everything work for the family who had lost their jobs for the next month,I never heard back after asking them to help but they sure ask me!I felt realy bad after doing so and gave the three hundred on top of what i already gave them!He is stricktley a business man and i think he has lost the urge if he ever had one to help others!But i am all for the what i call real churches who realy help people!But some churches are being run like a business and after thinking about it the past five minutes or so,I think a large church that makes x amout should perhaps pay tax,One sign of his greed is hording the book deal money,so exeptions perhaps made when they are making millions,But not the little churches with a hand full of seats being used?Good post! stormy night!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 PM

1,628 posts, read 5,773,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I just received another email ranting about having prayer in school and I wondered why do Churches get a free ride - meaning those who don't believe have to pay for the believers.

Didn't Ronald Reagan espouse the philosophy of pay for what you use?

This goes for all religious real estate -not just churches.

Those who either don't attend church or have their own private beliefs, are forced to subsidize these buildings. The churches receive all the city services .. and pay for none of them.
Definitely not fair! In fact, taxing churches' profit and property would be a very effective way out of the financial mess we are in. Let's face it, religious institutions are also big business operations--just tax free ones. Totally wrong, yet no discussion about it. Thanks for bringing it up!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:01 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Sure it is because of teh constitution. But that doesn't mean that other non-profit could be made to pay and foundations. They are not protected . but tehy also get federal dollars in most cases.In fasct many are getting moeny fronm the multi billion dollar stimulus.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 PM

342 posts, read 582,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post

I think you underestimate what churches do for the community. Just for example this year when we had all the fires up north alot of the churches were used for evac centers. The members gave of their time and supplies to help the red cross feed the evacuees. Also one church took food and money donations from the members to bbq food for firefighters. And here's a seperation of church and state for you. In our area most of the voting precincts are at churches. Free of charge of course manned by members of the churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or