Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who thinks if your not Irish you shouldn't be wearing "Proud to be Irish" T shirts? and wearing all this green on St Patty's day? I'm not saying if your not Irish you shouldn't be celebrating St Pattys Day but when people were the beads, shirts, socks, hats, glasses celebrating St Patty's Day I don't think they should!!! 99% of the people don't even know why their celebrating St Patty's Day. Leave it to the Irish to wear the green and all the gear and if your not Irish don't act like you are on ST Patty's Day. Okay maybe a green Tshirt is okay but not when you dress head to toe in Irish gear and your 100% Russian doesn't make sense. Let us have our day without a bunch of wannabe's acting like their Irish. Same goes for Cinco De Mayo I don't wear all mexican gear I let the mexicans have their day, doesn't mean I won't drink a modelo in their honor I'm just not going to wear a big sombero. Irish for a day crap please come out and celebrate with me but don't show all your Irish pride when your not even Irish. That's it I'm done!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 04:41 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Am I the only one who thinks if your not Irish you shouldn't be wearing "Proud to be Irish" T shirts? and wearing all this green on St Patty's day? I'm not saying if your not Irish you shouldn't be celebrating St Pattys Day but when people were the beads, shirts, socks, hats, glasses celebrating St Patty's Day I don't think they should!!! 99% of the people don't even know why their celebrating St Patty's Day. Leave it to the Irish to wear the green and all the gear and if your not Irish don't act like you are on ST Patty's Day. Okay maybe a green Tshirt is okay but not when you dress head to toe in Irish gear and your 100% Russian doesn't make sense. Let us have our day without a bunch of wannabe's acting like their Irish. Same goes for Cinco De Mayo I don't wear all mexican gear I let the mexicans have their day, doesn't mean I won't drink a modelo in their honor I'm just not going to wear a big sombero. Irish for a day crap please come out and celebrate with me but don't show all your Irish pride when your not even Irish. That's it I'm done!!!
But it's hard to find someone in this country with no Irish in them.

I'm fairly heavily Irish myself, but I don't see why it's supposed to be so great.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:46 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
It's funny, I'm a quarter Irish, but since I'm half black...everyone thinks I'm lying. For example, once during St. Patty's day in elementary school the teacher asked for everyone to raise their hand if they were Irish or part Irish. There was about a quarter of the class or so did. The teacher looked puzzled, I had to explain. I guess the point of this is that...in this melting pot (or salad bowl...or soup and salad pot that looks like a bowl) it really shouldn't matter as long as we all get drunk!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Quote:
I went to Catholic school in Boston. There wasn't much distinction as to whether you were Irish or not because it is the feast day of the saint, Patrick, who converted the Irish. We may be celebrating all that's Irish, but at the root of it is supposed to be the commemoration of Irish redemption.
Besides by your definition St. Patrick himself isn't eligible to "wear the green." He wasn't Irish by birth or origin.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:56 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
But it's hard to find someone in this country with no Irish in them.

I'm fairly heavily Irish myself, but I don't see why it's supposed to be so great.

This much is true too. The Irish have been getting around for a long time. I have Irish in my background and hazel eyes, so I'm always "wearing the green" even though I'm African-American.

Oh, and my neice's husband is Dublin born.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:00 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I guess the point of this is that...in this melting pot (or salad bowl...or soup and salad pot that looks like a bowl) it really shouldn't matter as long as we all get drunk!
LOL, I'm not Irish, but I'd definitely drink to that!

Old 03-17-2009, 05:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
I'm half Polish and Half Irish, a McPole if you will. I grew up in a Polish neighborhood and went to a polish school and all my relatives are buried in a polish cemetery so I have no connection with being Irish nor do I know much about it but I spent my whole life with the polish side so for that reason alone I don't fly the Irish flag but I do acknowledge it and I am proud to be Irish I just don't feel Irish. I should start to take more of a intrest in Irish traditions or customs but it's hard when everyone around you is Polish or last name ends in SKI. Hold the jokes. However I do from time to time wear my Kennedy T shrt.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:24 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
well i only wear a hint of green so that people dont pinch me...

but otherwise i concur.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:34 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,356 times
Quote:
I guess I feel that it's like dressing up on Halloween. I mean, how many people are actually witches, or vampires, or whatever? It's all about being in costume to celebrate the holiday.

I think people are just celebrating the "spirit" of St. Patrick's day by dressing up in Irish garb. I really don't see anything wrong with that.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:36 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
I have to add that we all know now that St. Patrick was a big fat fake. There were only 3 snakes in Ireland in the first place, and he brought them there himself in his overnight bag. Some miracle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates