U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,766,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I don't usually have that problem.
Oh I certainly don't obsess over it myself the way some people feel we should. Still, in certain situations dealing with certain types of people, the type of response you'll get for not being PC is just not worth it.

I agree this attitude of being required to be so PC accomplishes nothing. But the sad reality is we have to conform in many case. People regularly get fired over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 12:04 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,466,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Oh I certainly don't obsess over it myself the way some people feel we should. Still, in certain situations dealing with certain types of people, the type of response you'll get for not being PC is just not worth it.
It's always worth it.

Quote:
I agree this attitude of being required to be so PC accomplishes nothing. But the sad reality is we have to conform in many case. People regularly get fired over it.
I was once told I am too principled for my own good. I would be one of those fired ones.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:27 PM

Maybe instead of calling anyone "white" or "black" and without using PC language such as Caucasian or AA, we could simply call white people "tan" and black people "brown"...it'd be far more accurate. Hispanics/Asians/Native Americans could be called "dark tan."

NO ONE would have ANY room to complain.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,466,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Maybe instead of calling anyone "white" or "black" and without using PC language such as Caucasian or AA, we could simply call white people "tan" and black people "brown"...it'd be far more accurate. Hispanics/Asians/Native Americans could be called "dark tan."

NO ONE would have ANY room to complain.
Ha! True.

My daughter is mixed, and she always called herself brown. She always called all black people brown, although she is very light.

I have an enormous problem with the term African American, since all black people are not American, nor are they all African. You simply cannot use that term effectively and accurately. There is nothing politically correct about it.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:34 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
My main problem with "political correctness," other than the fact that I believe people should actually use the brains they were born with, is that we're never told exactly who's setting the standard. Blindly accepting someone else's lead puts you on the same level as a sheep.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
My main problem with "political correctness," other than the fact that I believe people should actually use the brains they were born with, is that we're never told exactly who's setting the standard. Blindly accepting someone else's lead puts you on the same level as a sheep.
When I was in college (in the 90's so not too long ago) my speech teacher did an entire unit at the very beginning of the class on political correctness. We had to make something like 4 or 5 speeches during the semester and we got 10 points taken off our grade for every single "violation" of the PC rules. She enforced the rules very strictly. I'll never forget that teacher and that class... She obviously apparently felt like SHE was some kind of authority on it.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:00 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,184,798 times
I made a mistake at my son's preschool last year...we arrived late, and the kids were already in circle time, so I said, Ok, go sit indian style in the circle. Yeah, apparently it's not called that anymore, their name for it was criss-cross applesauce. Oops! I'll still call it that just out of habit, so if someone really gets offended oh well.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
I made a mistake at my son's preschool last year...we arrived late, and the kids were already in circle time, so I said, Ok, go sit indian style in the circle. Yeah, apparently it's not called that anymore, their name for it was criss-cross applesauce. Oops! I'll still call it that just out of habit, so if someone really gets offended oh well.
HAHAHA. Insane....

Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,141,404 times
I hate the whole PC crap-o-la. Excuse me but why do I as a straight white male, have to watch everything that comes out of my mouth, and have to listen to every single other race slam me and call names? It seems that PC is a one way street from me to every other living soul, but not towards my "type". PC is BS.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I hate the whole PC crap-o-la. Excuse me but why do I as a straight white male, have to watch everything that comes out of my mouth, and have to listen to every single other race slam me and call names? It seems that PC is a one way street from me to every other living soul, but not towards my "type". PC is BS.
As a straight white male myself, I agree 100%. Anything directed at us is OK...at anyone else is not. Some people will likely respond to this post saying that I am a racist and/or sexist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or