Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:30 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times

Advertisements

I'm black and I think political correctness is dumb. I can tell the difference between a black joke and a racist comment. Either way, I'll defend your right to say whatever you want. I defend Fred Phelps' right to free speech and I'm an atheist. The politically correct people are a minority though. They're just the most vocal, so you hear about them more. The majority of my friends are black and none of them buy into that PC crap either.

I'd say the real battle is freedom of speech vs. "profanity".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 07:32 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
As a straight white male myself, I agree 100%. Anything directed at us is OK...at anyone else is not. Some people will likely respond to this post saying that I am a racist and/or sexist.
ME, ME, I'LL DO IT!!
You sexist racist, you. I'm kidding, of course.
Seriously, there is nothing more aggravating than getting slapped for something you say, only to have some minority come along and say something far worse and get away with it.

Last edited by stormy night; 03-20-2009 at 07:54 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I'm black and I think political correctness is dumb. I can tell the difference between a black joke and a racist comment. Either way, I'll defend your right to say whatever you want. I defend Fred Phelps' right to free speech and I'm an atheist. The politically correct people are a minority though. They're just the most vocal, so you hear about them more. The majority of my friends are black and none of them buy into that PC crap either.

I'd say the real battle is freedom of speech vs. "profanity".
I wish there were more people like you. There is a HUGE difference between a joke (and 99.9% of the time, nothing mean is meant), and a racist slam.

Racism is something I won't tolerate, but political correctness is way different. It's just thin skinned people wanting to feel like victims.

My daughter is black and she doesn't even know what political correctness is. I've raised her to believe in herself and anybody with a problem with that, she has no use for.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:42 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
PC stuff usually doesn't come up in my day-to-day, so I'm not sure what people aren't saying...that they really want to say. IRT black/white/whatever jokes, I don't come across that type of stuff (outside my family). This is probably due to my age and SES class.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:44 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I wish there were more people like you. There is a HUGE difference between a joke (and 99.9% of the time, nothing mean is meant), and a racist slam.

Racism is something I won't tolerate, but political correctness is way different
. It's just thin skinned people wanting to feel like victims.

My daughter is black and she doesn't even know what political correctness is. I've raised her to believe in herself and anybody with a problem with that, she has no use for.
This is the part I don't get. It seems to me as a black male that some people feel it's ok to say racist things and then say that they can't hide behind the PC crap.

So where exactly is the drawing line between racism and political correctness? To me, political correctness just means that i'm not going to say something that I know will offend you.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I hate the whole PC crap-o-la. Excuse me but why do I as a straight white male, have to watch everything that comes out of my mouth, and have to listen to every single other race slam me and call names? It seems that PC is a one way street from me to every other living soul, but not towards my "type". PC is BS.
That means that people are wrong for doing so. As a black male I don't do stuff like that and don't tolerate it when I hear it. This doesn't mean that being politically correct is wrong. When I hear things like this it makes me cringe, because it seems that you may think its ok to say some racist things just because someone said them to you. Maybe i'm wrong about that?

People just need to follow the "golden rule" Why offend people on purpose just because someone may have said something to you. To me, following that rule puts political correctness in its correct place.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
This is the part I don't get. It seems to me as a black male that some people feel it's ok to say racist things and then say that they can't hide behind the PC crap.

So where exactly is the drawing line between racism and political correctness? To me, political correctness just means that i'm not going to say something that I know will offend you.
I don't see it that way. What I have the problem with, are just the way things are phrased, like Firefightermom said. She told her son to sit indian style on the floor. Come to find out, because of political correctness, they can't call it that anymore, they call it criss cross applesauce (?). It's been 'indian style' for generations.

I'm sure indian giver would be politically incorrect as well, but that has been said for generations as well.

The cartoonists are having trouble with depicting Obama. They have run into those who are offended when they draw him with big or blue lips, yet when Bush was president, anything about him was a target and nobody cried racism or political correctness.

It's a lot of things every day that seems offending just because someone wants to act like a victim and be offended when things aren't meant to offend.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
As a straight white male myself, I agree 100%. Anything directed at us is OK...at anyone else is not. Some people will likely respond to this post saying that I am a racist and/or sexist.
This kind of reminds me about a story a friend of mine told me. He has a friend who lived in the south and had a bad experience with a black person in his workplace. This made him so angry that he started referring to all black people as the N-word. Since he used it so openly, his young son started doing the same thing, and he condoned it due to his experience with th black person at his workplace.

Now in this case, is it ok for him to use the word and say things like this along with teaching his son this? or would addressing the issue be a case of being PC?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I don't see it that way. What I have the problem with, are just the way things are phrased, like Firefightermom said. She told her son to sit indian style on the floor. Come to find out, because of political correctness, they can't call it that anymore, they call it criss cross applesauce (?). It's been 'indian style' for generations.

I'm sure indian giver would be politically incorrect as well, but that has been said for generations as well.

The cartoonists are having trouble with depicting Obama. They have run into those who are offended when they draw him with big or blue lips, yet when Bush was president, anything about him was a target and nobody cried racism or political correctness.

It's a lot of things every day that seems offending just because someone wants to act like a victim and be offended when things aren't meant to offend.
OK, I see your point with that comment referenced. That is what I meant by saying something that I KNOW will offend. It sounds like she wasn't trying to offend anyone and some people were overly sensitive.

On the other hand,I think people can go too far the other way as well. I think we all have to be responsible for what we say. Admittedly, sometimes it's hard if you say something that you thought was ok and seems pretty innocent.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
That means that people are wrong for doing so. As a black male I don't do stuff like that and don't tolerate it when I hear it. This doesn't mean that being politically correct is wrong. When I hear things like this it makes me cringe, because it seems that you may think its ok to say some racist things just because someone said them to you. Maybe i'm wrong about that?

People just need to follow the "golden rule" Why offend people on purpose just because someone may have said something to you. To me, following that rule puts political correctness in its correct place.
On the flip side of that, why are people so easily offended? Nothing rolls off anymore because they have that PC to hide behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates