U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,466,057 times
Reputation: 1288

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
OK, well speaking as a BLACK person, it's ok with me if you use either term. I don't get offended at that The only thing that makes me cringe is "colored" because it reminds me of all the stuff during the 1950's and the signs that said "colored drinking fountains" and stuff like that. Notice though, I said cringe. Not necessarilay offended, because if the person didn't know better then I can't be offended.

Now referring to me as the N- word is just off limits, that just plain wrong.
So political correctness is not necessary when people are adult enough to realize that not everybody is so enlightened to begin with.

I think people like Al Sharpton has made PC so repulsive. He's like an ambulance chaser and makes every issue into a victim filled event.

I appreciate your point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM
 
1,613 posts, read 2,327,518 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree....but why is referring to me as a cracker OK?
It's ok?...because it's not ok in my book. If I was with someone who said it I would say something about it because I see that as bad as the N-word.

This is what people sometimes forget. Just because someone who is a minority says that to you doesn't mean that all minorities feel that it's ok. It's the same for white people. I know that there are some who may refer to me as the N-word, and there are others who would never in a million years even use the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 PM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,466,057 times
Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree....but why is referring to me as a cracker OK?
Can't rep that, but I tried to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:18 PM
 
1,613 posts, read 2,327,518 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
So political correctness is not necessary when people are adult enough to realize that not everybody is so enlightened to begin with.

I think people like Al Sharpton has made PC so repulsive. He's like an ambulance chaser and makes every issue into a victim filled event.

I appreciate your point of view.
I am basing a lot of this on my experience in the workplace. The changing times required changing actions. As I stated in the earlier Tiger Woods example, those comments would have just been laughed off if he never won the Masters. Some sort of guidelines had to be put in place to make the people with the problem realize that they just can't say anything, espically with the introduction of people who may be offended with the things being said.

Well, I guess this is why they call it "Great debates"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,763,873 times
Reputation: 4539
Here's an interesting twist...these are ONLY words. Why is one word so much more "charged" and dramatic than any other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 PM
 
1,613 posts, read 2,327,518 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Here's an interesting twist...these are ONLY words. Why is one word so much more "charged" and dramatic than any other?
I'd say because of how it was used. If you take my example of seperate facilities having the word colored, and then look at how the N-word was used through history, they both have a hugh amount of emotion tied to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:23 PM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,466,057 times
Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Well..you don't have to BUY it...i've experienced it, so you can choose to believe it or not.

I've already commented on that, I said that that comment was probably overkill because she wasn't trying to offend anyone. I think the people who told her not to say it were being a little oversensitive.
I wasn't implying that you haven't. I was commenting that it isn't only in the workplace.

My daughter has experienced racist comments, and adverse treatment because she is black.

Being oversensitive is the entire foundation of PC. It isn't just the workplace. It isn't just black and white. It's everywhere in every aspect of our lives. It's crammed down our throats everywhere we go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 PM
 
784 posts, read 2,009,537 times
Reputation: 559
Archie Bunker is rolling in his grave right now. This damn country has gotten rediculous.

I guess freedom of speach could be changed to Freedom to Please..........


OP, I hear ya, and I am sick of it to. I am also getting at an age where I could give a **** anymore. Look at reply after reply on CD and it will show you that most of us are petrified of saying the wrong thing. It's definately gotten out of hand. We have freedom of speach as long as we don't use it freely...What a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:28 PM
 
1,613 posts, read 2,327,518 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Archie Bunker is rolling in his grave right now. This damn country has gotten rediculous.
I guess freedom of speach could be changed to Freedom to Please..........


OP, I hear ya, and I am sick of it to. I am also getting at an age where I could give a **** anymore. Look at reply after reply on CD and it will show you that most of us are petrified of saying the wrong thing. It's definately gotten out of hand. We have freedom of speach as long as we don't use it freely...What a joke.
The Archie Bunker character is what I would classify as a moron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 PM
 
784 posts, read 2,009,537 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
The Archie Bunker character is what I would classify as a moron.

He was absolutely a moron, but at least he didn't have to apologize for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top